Men's LP | Golden Skate

Men's LP

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Obviously the gold isnt worth discussing, but the other two medals are interesting. I would like to see Kozuka and Oda get the other 2 medals since neither have won a World medal. However the young Russian or Amodio I wouldnt mind either, as both of those countries could feel comfortable having their next leader and Joubert could happily retire at last, and Plushenko stay retired like he should. I like Takahashi but he doesnt look like as good a skater anymore.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Does anyone know why the Free skate has been relegated to a Thursday afternoon? Could they not have switched it with the short dance? I guess it's Chan for gold, with Japan getting the other two podium spots.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I hope the three leading stay in podium position tomorrow,, well we know Chan will win anyways. Oda is soo overdue for a medal and I really hope he has finally learned to count.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope the other two spots on the podium go to Takahashi, Joubert, Kozuka, or Oda. I wish there were five medals. lol.

babayaga

On the Ice
It is my understanding that the time for ladies and men events was chosen in a way that it will be prime time in Japan.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan is going to win 99% likely. Everything is so close! 4 people have 77 one has 78 and to have low 80's. Joubert and Verner can rise substantially in the standings after long programs. Dornbush has a great score! I think it would be somthing if Gachinksi could outscore Oda and win bronze in front of a russian crowd and Plushenko. It would be torch passing moment. I think Takahashi will move to second. But there are so many contenders for the medals other than gold.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have thought Oda would likely continue his Silver medal streak and it looks highly probable. Takahashi's TES has been low and Oda has a much better chance of landing or at least getting more credit for a quad in the LP so Takahashi's PCS may not be enough to put him ahead. Oda is determined now more than ever. If he can't catch Chan, he will aim for the Silver. Takahashi pretty much conceded the Gold and he may not be as motivated for a Silver. Oda is hungrier and is actually more capable and a better skater than Takahashi this season. His record is stronger as well.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think silver and bronze will prob go to Kazuko and Oda. Takahashi has been less than steller this year, and on top of being the least to able to land the quad, he has been hammer with underrotation and edge calls (which hasn't been an issue for his team mates) so he give ups alot on BV and GOE alone. Even his PCS 4-5 points higher than others will not be enough. Although I wish him to end his career on a high note with a silver.

Brian n Thomas are just too unpredictable. Both will be attempting the quad and that jump will playout how they do on the rest of the program. Can Yeah or Ahhhh lol

mot

On the Ice
I spent 10 hours, almost non-stop, watching skating today from the 2nd w/u group of the men's event, and 'the making-of' of the opening ceremony, the opening ceremony itself, and then the pairs short - a real marathon and I loved every single minute of it. Need to get some rest to prepare myself for another marathon figure skating watching session tomorrow...

so here is my little wish list for tomorrow. hope they all come true...

I want nothing but PASSION from Daisuke. It was a rather disappointing, lacklustre performance from him today... reminded me of GPF. It seemed his mind was not there 100%... Tomorrow, I don't mind whether he lands jumps or not, as they are kinda secondary for me as always, but all I want from him is PASSION AND EMOTIONS! TONS OF THEM, PLEASE! I want to see the repeat of his FS at Japan Nats. It was flawed, but my god, that was a performance and a half!

I want another breathtaking perfect performance from Patrick.

I want Brian to pull it together like he did at the Euros. Even I myself think it's rather bizarre, but Brian's performance was the one I liked best today... not sure why but I did.

I want Tomas not to hold back but to go for broke. Come on, give me the world best 4T of yours!!! I just love his quad. And please don't implode...

I want Takahiko to come back stronger.

I want Nobu to... don't know... please hold it together. I've said it a million times, but don't do too many combos...

I want to see as many clean skates as possible please. And as many smiling faces at K&C...

Right, I said it all. Off to bed now!

PS. Anyone watched the opening ceremony? It was beautiful and compassionate. As a Japanese person, I would love to thank Russian Federation. It was amazing that they managed to design, organise, prepare and pull it all off in such a short period of time. I was utterly moved.
ありがとう、ロシア!

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
PS. Anyone watched the opening ceremony? It was beautiful and compassionate. As a Japanese person, I would love to thank Russian Federation. It was amazing that they managed to design, organise, prepare and pull it all off in such a short period of time. I was utterly moved.
ありがとう、ロシア!

I did watch the opening ceremony and I must say the Russians pulled it off beautifully. Even Putin was there. Impressive.

KKonas

Medalist
It is my understanding that the time for ladies and men events was chosen in a way that it will be prime time in Japan.

Or perhaps the RSFS knows that it is more likely to win podium spots in pairs and dance and are holding those events for Moscow prime time when more people in Moscow can attend.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I think Patrick is almost safe for gold but I do want to see him skating clean and superb. I'm pulling for Oda, please please, no more incident, just do enough and you can medal, no more extra combos. The best bet is that he does not miss any combo he's planned, then no chance to miscount:) He needs to learn counting so that the next generation will not be misled. I'm open for anybody stepping in for the other medal, whoever delivers:)

Go everybody and skate clean! Here's my wish though: Kevin , pull out two quads and skate clean to give Canada three berths for next year!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Amodio won't be going for the quad in the LP.

Wise decision. Gachinsky has not been consistent in the LP this year. If Amodio skates clean he will probably overtake him. He just needs to finish top 5 to build his cred for next year and then he can start training the Quad seriously into his programs.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Joubert will have two 4T and two 3A in LP. He could move up if the jumps are there. He knows that he's not in the best shape in this competition. That has actually eased his pressure. He did a great SP performance wise. I'm looking for the same heart-felt performance in LP.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So my hopes is a spalt-free competition. :)

As for the Americans:
Absolute miracle = 6+7 for three spots.
More realistic and would be nice = two Americans breaking the top 10 (8+9 or 9+10?)
Also OK = one American breaking the top 10 and/or all three stay in their current spots.

As for the top medal contenders. Hoping for Japanese men to go 2-3-4 if none of them can beat Chan. They have the potential and skill to be up there. Florent to keep 5th.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I hope Dai can win, but that won't happen. So I guess I hope Dai comes back for second place, and Brian fights back for a bronze.