Men's LP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
And Patrick can say, "You want my Axel? Take it! Take the whole thing." He will just keep the gold, thank you very much.

LOL, Patrick very much deserves his Gold medal. It's separate matter that he was overscored and that CoP needs to drastically change the -GOE grades for elements (the +GOE grades for some elements as well, in addition to the whole other laundry list of changes); I'm sorry if my disappointment over these things makes it seem like I don't respect his achievement. I respect every skater who works hard but when it comes to competitions I want to see the most accurate assessment of the programs possible (and for the quality of the programs and performances to be choreographically/interpretively as high as possible).

Bartek

On the Ice
LOL, Patrick very much deserves his Gold medal. It's separate matter that he was overscored and that CoP needs to drastically change the -GOE grades for elements (the +GOE grades for some elements as well, in addition to the whole other laundry list of changes); I'm sorry if my disappointment over these things makes it seem like I don't respect his achievement. I respect every skater who works hard but when it comes to competitions I want to see the most accurate assessment of the programs possible (and for the quality of the programs and performances to be choreographically/interpretively as high as possible).

You respect every skater who works hard? What about Miki? Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from saying that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What I don't get is the Oda team. They all knew his history and tendency and, like other teams, they must have, or should have, worked on different scenarios and adjustments. Haven't the possibility of tripling the quad occured to them? :confused: That should have been the first consideration as it was the first element, rectification of which should be easier to remember than for something happening closer to the end of the program.

As it happened, it was game over in the first 1/2 minute. The coaches :bang: for an extra 4 minutes than Oda. It's hard for skaters to think in their skates under intense pressure. It's the whole team's responsibility to work on all foreseeable situations in advance, often. Is Oda extra dense or has he never had a team competent and prepared enough?

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Since the computer program or whatever Patrick used to improve his 4T worked magic, why doesn't he use it for his 3A? I just can't understand.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Since the computer program or whatever Patrick used to improve his 4T worked magic, why doesn't he use it for his 3A? I just can't understand.

I think he does. In a live chat with Kurt last year, to back up his claim of Kurt's 3A being among the best, he said that Kurt's and Boitano's 3As were in the Dartfish program. Coach Krall has said that doing 4T actually helps him with 3A and she mentioned before that Chan had interesting techniques going into his 3A and he has been trying to learn the proper technique. It is always harder to unlearn and relearn something than to learn it right the first time. I think there was some implication of Don Laws there Krall tried to not call out.

Look how hard it has been for Mao to relearn her jump techniques when the old ones had seemingly worked so well for her. I see her as very ambitious and having a long term objective to go through all this.

Mr. Colson's approach and plan for Patrick has been the foundation of his success. He built a foundation of solid basic skating before adding one jump after another into his arsenals. It's his blade skills that accords him the speed and rhythm into his highly successful 4T with seeming ease. He learned 3A during the time between Mr. Colson and Ms Krall. Actually he met Krall as a special jump coach introduced by Laws, who then resented the two's colaboration.

Last edited:
What I don't get is the Oda team. They all knew his history and tendency and, like other teams, they must have, or should have, worked on different scenarios and adjustments. Haven't the possibility of tripling the quad occured to them? :confused:

+1.

wallylutz

Medalist
What I don't get is the Oda team. They all knew his history and tendency and, like other teams, they must have, or should have, worked on different scenarios and adjustments. Haven't the possibility of tripling the quad occured to them? :confused:

[...]

As it happened, it was game over in the first 1/2 minute. The coaches :bang: for an extra 4 minutes than Oda. It's hard for skaters to think in their skates under intense pressure. It's the whole team's responsibility to work on all foreseeable situations in advance, often. Is Oda extra dense or has he never had a team competent and prepared enough?

You posted an "Oda in classroom" cartoon the other day, unfortunately, it seems to summarize the problem perfectly.

I loved that cartoon! Thanks for mentioning it, I wanted to thank the OP for posting it.

I have to assume that Oda knows what to do (he has to have been told) but can't manage it in competition. I laugh to weep.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I think he does. In a live chat with Kurt last year, to back up his claim of Kurt's 3A being among the best, he said that Kurt's and Boitano's 3As were in the Dartfish program. Coach Krall has said that doing 4T actually helps him with 3A and she mentioned before that Chan had interesting techniques going into his 3A and he has been trying to learn the proper technique. It is always harder to unlearn and relearn something than to learn it right the first time. I think there was some implication of Don Laws there Krall tried to not call out.

Look how hard it has been for Mao to relearn her jump techniques when the old ones had seemingly worked so well for her. I see her as very ambitious and having a long term objective to go through all this.

Mr. Colson's approach and plan for Patrick has been the foundation of his success. He built a foundation of solid basic skating before adding one jump after another into his arsenals. It's his blade skills that accords him the speed and rhythm into his highly successful 4T with seeming ease. He learned 3A during the time between Mr. Colson and Ms Krall. Actually he met Krall as a special jump coach introduced by Laws, who then resented the two's colaboration.

Thank you so much for the information! It's very comforting to know that he's relearning it follow the best model. I remember that Krall mentioned Patrick use Plushenko as his 4T model, and it shows great result. It is great that now people can actually learn from the best in a scientific way:) Hope Patrick gets consistent 3A next couple of years. Maybe we can see a lp with two triples and two 3A:) And I'm hoping Patrick continue to grow in presentation. He's good already, but I believe he can be better when he grow up more.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Krall mentioned Plushenko's 4T leap so it's possible the science even breaks down different parts of the jump from different models. Not sure, just guessing. All his own jumps are recorded and analysed too so I'm sure his own best 4T is studied for replication also. (At this point I think his 4T surpasses Plush's because of his more intricate entries.)

All the models also offer data for extremely detailed micro analysis so it's not necessary that he learns by simply copying one specific model. Of course, if he should copy one model, I'm sure he copies the best there is. :)

I am pretty sure there are now skaters who have Chan's quads on their learning software too.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
You posted an "Oda in classroom" cartoon the other day, unfortunately, it seems to summarize the problem perfectly.

where is the cartoon? I want to see it:) Oda made me beyond frustrated I just feel it amusing. It is really the team to blame, I was talking with friends that how come they didn't think this through (triple the 4T) and taught Oda what to do.

webbo

Spectator
hi anyone out there got a copy of mens preliminary round.
My son Mark Webster skated (came 13th) would like to get a copy??? if available

cheers

Moderator's note: To repond to this request, please send a Personal Message to webbo for his email address.

Last edited by a moderator: