Pairs Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yeah, it's up on Youtube now.

Pang & Tong are rock stars! They were sublime in that SP. By far the best they've skated all season. :rock:

They're both 31! To put into context, Pang is older than all Olympics ladies medalists from 1998 aside from Chen Lu (34) and Irina Slutskaya (32), and older than all Worlds medalists in in that time other than those two and Maria Butyrskaya 38, and older than all currently competing singles, pairs, and dance ladies...

To still be at the top of their sport at this advanced age, that is really phenomenal! I really hope they go out this year with a bang, and leave with fond memories. :cheer:

To everyone who is concerned about Pang's diet, obviously she's eating healthily. Someone with a bad diet can't possibly skate at this year after year, and still be doing so well at 31. She's obviously just built that way.

I just watched it... and wow, wow, WOW! That program was just beyond gorgeous... delicately lyrical, subtle, and nuanced... and Pang/Tong skated it perfectly technically and artistically :love: LOVE how stretched and extended Pang is and how finished all their moves are and how each element just looked so effortless.

And WHOOHOO, as they would say at ontd_skating... P/T LAUGH IN THE FACE OF AGEISM XD

Plus, her arch in the death spiral was gorgeous :love: Loved their death spiral sequence actually; no wonky positions, just classic lines <3

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Is this just what you think or did someone from SC or one of the partners actually say this?
I've been watching and reading all day lol......but I'm pretty sure it was PJ who made that remark. If I'm wrong on that, please feel free to make the correction :). I'll bet that he will skate.......he seems like a gutsy guy to have finished the short like that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've been watching and reading all day lol......but I'm pretty sure it was PJ who made that remark. If I'm wrong on that, please feel free to make the correction :). I'll bet that he will skate.......he seems like a gutsy guy to have finished the short like that.

With an injury like that in the face, it is most likely there will be swelling, sometimes severely, especially if it's not iced immediately and continually. (*Remember the ugliest days of my life* :eek:)

We'll see how he looks tomorrow.

Juli®

Rinkside
Ei, guys, does anyone knows where we could download the videos of the competion? I live in Brazil e don't broadcast here :)x). I mean, something like Mediafire, Rapidshire...:disapp::disapp::disapp:

beep_beep

Medalist
Ei, guys, does anyone knows where we could download the videos of the competion? I live in Brazil e don't broadcast here :)x). I mean, something like Mediafire, Rapidshire...:disapp::disapp::disapp:

If I could figure out how to download the ISU stream (I'd love to be able do that), I'd be more than willing to share with you guys :)

smia

Rinkside
I just watched it... and wow, wow, WOW! That program was just beyond gorgeous... delicately lyrical, subtle, and nuanced... and Pang/Tong skated it perfectly technically and artistically :love: LOVE how stretched and extended Pang is and how finished all their moves are and how each element just looked so effortless.
This is a great program for them and they do look great mostly. However, Pang's positions during the lift continue to be sloppy and unstretched.

mot

On the Ice
Haven't got time to read all posts above, but I came here just to say how much I enjoyed the pairs event today, except that horrific injury... hope he's OK for tomorrow... So many clean skates. Top guns skated well, except K/S ... ahhh, what a shame ... and young pairs done so well too.

V/T! Saw them perform for the fist time and my goodness... never seen the twist that huge. Breathtaking, gutsy performance.

P/T was simply exquisite. Just exquisite. I almost welled up.

S/S was as reliable as ever. I always gasp whenever I see the hight Aliona hits at 3FTh.

B/H I love this Italian pair. They may not be as technically good as top pairs, but I love their tango and the way it ends with 3LoTh is just... wow. Massive praise for the choreographer, Pasquale Camerlengo too!

B/L the Russian No 3 was such an elegant pair and a joy to watch.

And I am so glad, over the moon actually, with the performance by Narumi & Mervin. They was marvellous in GPS, but somehow lost momentum since the beginning of year. They barely held on at the FCC and JWC. I was so worried about them, especially Narumi's jumps and wondered how bad her knee actually is nowadays. But they nailed everything today. The footwork was just so easy and smooth... gorgeous. I hope they'll hold it together. I keep all my fingers and toes crossed.

Felt so sorry for Y/C... I love their short and long. I would love to see them nail everything tomorrow and give us perfect Ave Maria. Same goes for E/L too.

M-T/M Kirsten is one of the cutest things on ice. The speed she rotates - for jumps, twists, and spins - is amazing. Loved exuberance and energy.

K/S I believe they will pull it off tomorrow. Their long programme is simply gorgeous and it deserves to be shown to Russian audience in its perfection.

smia

Rinkside
That backstage shot of Szolkowy lifting Savchenko before their program was amusing, I hope someone uploads it to Youtube.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I hope Eric get well tomorrow and be able to compete. So courageous for him to finished the sp! Meagan is the partner hurting her partner, and Jassica Dube was the one being hurt. So do be watchful next time, Eric!

beep_beep

Medalist
Thoughts on the SP: (another long post...)

Daniel Wende is hawt ;)

Pang/Tong: So wonderful... Showing the kids how it's supposed to be done :) This program is very well built and it suits them really well. Am I the only one who thinks that Tong is beautiful?

Aliona/Robin (too lazy to type their last names...): Their style is so different, so quirky, but I actually prefer their more conventional programs (Out of Africa and their FS from 07-08 to Cirque du Soleil music). Then again, my favourite program from them was their voidy Asoka SP... you can always trust them to come up with something different every season. They were very good today (that thrown 3Flip!!!), I guess the difference was on the SBS spins, that were out of synch on some moments (wild guess...). And Robin is hawt.

Volo/Tranks: Awsome elements!!! My heart stopped on the 3Tw and SBS spins. They need better choreo/packaging, i.e., get them away from N. Morozov's choreo!! Can't wait to see how they'll be next season.

Y/C: that was some unfortunate fall... :(

Bazarova/Larionov: like them. Really like them :)

Kavaguti/Smirinov: I hate their SP on the same level that I love their FS. I don't think they're being dumped. They lacked frow in some of their elements and here was the fall in a day of exceptional performances. I want them to kill it on the FS sooo badly.

Takahashi/Tran: :party2: Please don't blow it in the long, please.

Czech team: lovely lovely. Great surprise. They'll be going places in the future.
Estonians: I like this program... and I actually like the costumes too :laugh:

Duhamel/Radford: You can always trust Meaghan to give her all presentation wise on every performance. I loved on them on 4CC and I'm looking forward to their FS. Hopefully he'll be able to skate.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
What a great competition!! My impressions:

Pang/Tong: What everyone else has said! They were simply superb. Wonderful performance.

Aliona/Robin: Very solid skate, very clean technically. But I felt they lacked a bit of spark. I think they skated this program better and with more energy earlier in the season.

Volosozhar/Trankov: What a debut. This was the first time I've seen them. Great pair. Awesome elements, esp. the triple twist, and they obviously have that speed, power, and attack that all the great Russian teams have. Can't wait to see their long.

Bazarova/Larionov: Good performance for them, and they are a lovely team. However, I think they need more speed and power in their skating. I felt like they lost energy noticeably in between their crossover sections, which shouldn't really happen at this top level.

Kavaguti/Smirnov: Their placement seemed correct. In addition to the fall in footwork, Kavaguti also clearly struggled with all three of her jump landings. I actually kind of like the program. But it's high-risk: When you skate to such dramatic music, with such huge highlights, you really have to hit your elements, or the whole thing just falls completely flat.

Takahashi/Tran: Good skate for them; nice program. I really, really like watching Tran. There is a looseness to his skating, a naturalness, that I really enjoy. Bright future for this team.

Duhamel/Radford: Unfortunately they didn't show them on Universal Sports. Don't know why they showed MT-M instead of them.

Yankowskas/Coughlin: Grr . . . that fall! This team has so much potential--as evidenced by their PCS scores, almost 1.5 points higher than the rest of the second-tier pairs. I REALLY, really want to see them skate clean in the long. Come on, guys. Deep breath; no more stupid mistakes!!

Italian team: Not shown on Universal Sports. Interesting they came in top 10 here and top 5 (right?) at Europeans. With those kinds of results, and if Kostner and Contesti stay in for Sochi, the Italians might actually be able to field a competitive team for the new team event, which can be said of few European nations right now, except Russia of course.

Moore-Towers/Moskovitch: Okay skate. They definitely peaked early this season. I don't know about Moore-Towers. I kind of like her perkiness on the ice, and she definitely has a lot of spirit. However, to me, she is a little bit too much of a power skater for pairs--very athletic, but I feel like her artistry and positions need quite a bit of improvement.

Evora/Ladwig: Disappointing performance. Not only did they have the jump problem, but their PCS was also quite low--among the lowest of the second-tier (spots 6-12) teams. This only reinforces my feeling (stated in a previous thread) that E/L really need to make a change in their choreographic approach and/or artistic training. They need to significantly upgrade this area to be competitive. There's no reason they can't do so; there's a lot of quality in their skating, they just need to showcase it better. And, of course, land the jumps . . . :)