Royal Wedding - Anyone Going To Watch???? | Golden Skate

Royal Wedding - Anyone Going To Watch????

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nope. I'm so over the hype. Wasn't into Diana (ok so I wasn't even in double digits when she was big time and was in jr high barely when she died), and while I think Kate and William are a cute couple - I'm pretty sure that we fought a war a few centuries back so we wouldn't have to worry ourselves about the Royal Family. So I will be sleeping to normal hours, going to work, coming home and watching skating.

I will be watching if I wake up early enough. I watched Diana's wedding as a youngster and hope to enjoy this one just as much. You can't get pageantry like this around every corner: once a generation, and that's about it. I'm grateful to live in a non-monarchist republic--especially this one--but sometimes a glimpse into an exotic overseas tradition is a thrill. It's all a great moment of escape for me, in a week of escape courtesy of the wedding and skating. Really, I don't know how I'll manage next week when the social whirl ends.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I will be watching if I wake up early enough. I watched Diana's wedding as a youngster and hope to enjoy this one just as much. You can't get pageantry like this around every corner: once a generation, and that's about it. I'm grateful to live in a non-monarchist republic--especially this one--but sometimes a glimpse into an exotic overseas tradition is a thrill. It's all a great moment of escape for me, in a week of escape courtesy of the wedding and skating. Really, I don't know how I'll manage next week when the social whirl ends.

I just pity them both that their wedding can never truly be there's. Pomp and Circumstance and tradition are great, but the fact that they get to have very little say in even the guest list is absurd.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll try my best to get up early enough to watch it, but we'll record it just in case. We were actually in Scotland the day of the Royal Wedding in 1981. A few days before the wedding we got to walk through Saint Paul's Cathedral, and walked on the red carpet that had been lain for the wedding. When we visited Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Lady Diana Spencer was the latest addition, facing Prince Charles. We flew home on the day the air controllers went on strike (about an hour & a half delay). It was a great trip, and a very exciting time to be in the UK (the UK needed something uplifting that summer after the rioting in the industrial cities).

Hope Kate & William will have a happier, long lasting marriage.

Last edited:
I'll try my best to get up early enough to watch it, but we'll record it just in case. We were actually in Scotland the day of the Royal Wedding in 1981. A few days before the wedding we got to walk through Saint Paul's Cathedral, and walked on the red carpet that had been lain for the wedding. When we visited Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, Lady Diana Spencer was the latest addition, Prince Charles. We flew home on the day the air controllers went on strike (about an hour 7 a half delay). It was a great trip, and a very exciting time to be in the UK (the UK needed something uplifting that summer after the rioting in the industrial cities).

Hope Kate & William will have a happier, long lasting marriage.

How exciting that you were there during the wedding in '81. Like you, I hope that this one has a better outcome.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Canada is still governed by the Queen so we payed our respects. It was fun to watch. Royal watching is a big deal here. Some of my work mates had a Royal tea party at work. I watched most of it on the reruns the next day. I loved Catherine's (as she is now called) dress and William looked handsome as a prince in his formal uniform. No one does pagentry like the Brits! Congratulations Will and Kate.

Snoopy

Rinkside
I watched - it was fun and I'm fond of Will & Harry. Kate's dress was beautiful.

It was exhilarating--like a mini-visit to London. As an English friend of mine says, no one does pageantry like the Brits.

But some of those hats were seriously strange. I mean, doesn't Princess Beatrix realize that she's going to be in her family's photo album AND every magazine in the English-speaking world for now and always? Can you see explaining that to her children someday?

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was exhilarating--like a mini-visit to London. As an English friend of mine says, no one does pageantry like the Brits.

But some of those hats were seriously strange. I mean, doesn't Princess Beatrix realize that she's going to be in her family's photo album AND every magazine in the English-speaking world for now and always? Can you see explaining that to her children someday?

Just going through some old posts when I read this one. I just want to add that Princess Beatrice auctioned off her funny looking hat on ebay.

She got over $130, 000.00 for charity:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/Royal_Wedding/slideshow/royal-wedding-crazy-hats-13488833

Well done princess! :cool:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Their hats are different I will say that. I wonder if anyone sitting behind Princess Beatrice was upset with her. Princess Eugenie's hat looks like it has a big bunch of grapes sitting on top. Love it.

silverpond

On the Ice
The 5-hour time difference between the UK and the US East Coast was very helpful -- I got up a bit earlier than I usually do and watched the entire broadcast - procession to Westminster Abbey, the beautiful wedding ceremony (LOVED the music and the boys/mens choir), return to Buckingham Palace, and "the kiss" by the newly married Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Now William and Kate are on their first overseas tour to Canada, with a final stop in Los Angeles. This is Kate's first trip to North America, and probably it will be the first of many in the years to come.

heyang

Record Breaker
Late to post, but I thought the wedding was beautiful and appropriate. It was as simple and elegant and I think it was 'them'.

I didn't get up early to watch it, but I did record it....love fast forwarding during all the waiting for something to happen minutes. The broadcast was definitely a lot longer than needed.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Their hats are different I will say that. I wonder if anyone sitting behind Princess Beatrice was upset with her. Princess Eugenie's hat looks like it has a big bunch of grapes sitting on top. Love it.

Princess Beatrice was sitting with the rest of the Royal family. I believe Princess Anne's family (her husband, son Peter, his wife, and daugher Zara Phillips) were sitting behind Prince Andrew and his daugthers after Prince Edward's family according to protocol. Anyway, they were all Royal and all those Royal ladies seemed to be wearing some variation of a mad hatter's topper or another. I hardly think they minded Beatrice's! :laugh: