Ladies - Short Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I thought Yuna was so sloppy. It's easy to skate fast when you're sloppy and are not attempting beautiful positions. Miki had complex footwork and beautiful positions. This is figure skating, not speed skating.

ITA. For all those peoples keep saying Yuna w 2-3 mistakes is better than the rest of others because she travels at the speed of light... Too bad she didnèt join the speed skating too....would have gotten another Gold...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
guys, if you just take a look at the protocol, you would know why certain skaters earned higher scores than others. seems like lots of ppl are complaining about yuna's layback. but the truth be told, free leg position isn't the ONLY thing that the judges are looking for in a layback spin. For one thing, she has an incredible back position and the speed at which she spins is pretty impressive.

Also, lots of ppl here seem upset regarding her triple lutz. usually a failed attempt at a triple jump entails UR and it's the underrotation of a jump that can really bring the score down. yuna's triple lutz wasn't downgraded, which meant that she still received full credit for her triple and thanks to the new judging system, the negative GOE wasn't as deadly.

But Alissa has MORE speed. And she keeps it throughout the spin. Yuna starts to lose it when she does her bielman. Same with the other spins. Alissa is below Yuna in +GOE in all the spins. That is not right.

Technical question: is there a factor used in GOE? If so, Yuna did get a -1.5 on her 3Z which woudl be reasonable if there was a .5 factor.

alexeifan

On the Ice
ITA. For all those peoples keep saying Yuna w 2-3 mistakes is better than the rest of others because she travels at the speed of light... Too bad she didnèt join the speed skating too....would have gotten another Gold...

ya I mean it was so sloppy I thought she looked like she went back to skating like how she did in her junior worlds days. I expected she was going to improve a lot more but she has degressed imo. I think it shows Orser was a great coach, and I agree with the other poster who said Orser would never allowed her pumping twice like that. It's sad, I was watching and asked myself how could this be the same skater who was so brilliant in the lp at the Olympics.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I'm just going to hope Yuna is less sloppy in her LP since, I mean, she's clearly going to win and the internet is going to get ugly if that skate is anything like this one.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
The stage was set for Yuna to blow everyone out of the water, but now all top 10 skaters have realistic shot at podium. Tomorrow is going to be absolutely exciting Rachel Flatt was correct when she said that this Worlds would be won by a skater who fights the hardest.

alexeifan

On the Ice
Alissa had the best spins of the night no doubt about it, she should have had the highest scores. There should be a complaint filed, it is so obvious.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Since there is no Canadian judge in this event, the Canadian federation paid off all the judges. That explains everything.

So does Mr. Amano need full time security now?

Mao got a downgrade and an UR, with her 3A worth only 2.09. Her PCS is 3rd, 2.20 lower than Yuna's.

herro

On the Ice

Wait, I didn't read every single comment here but I don't think people are saying that the only distinguishing factor between Yuna and Miki is speed. Yea, Yuna skates with more speed but she has the overall package in artistry. I don't think anyone can deny that Yuna skates with elegance and style.

prettykeys

Medalist
I was getting use to COP but I still don't like it. Yu na into first.. Well who knows what the long holds. Yu na certainly isn't herself. She usually skates a clean short but not a clean long.

I guess only Michelle Kwan can skip the gp season and still come back and skate 2 clean programs.
I guess only Michelle Kwan can skip the gp season after winning the Olympic Gold Medal and still come back and skate 2 clean programs.

Oh wait!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Now the big question is will Mao will be able to bounce back to the podium.... Gold/Silver is appearently out of reach....but she can still salvage bronze if she skates like in 4CC. Or will the Russian skaters will be held up for podium...

Layfan

Record Breaker
Hmm. The fight for bronze is so tight. I wish I could comment more on the placements but I got to watch from Alissa on. Did Caro and Alena really deserve to be just three points behind Alissa and Ksenia?

Anyway, I can't be too fussed. Just hope Alissa and Rachael do well tomorrow at this point. Then maybe I can get all outraged about placements :)

Yuna's SP was no Dance Macabre or James Bond. But still, I enjoyed it. I definitely don't buy her getting higher scores for spins that Alissa. Alissa's spins looked so good today.
I have to watch Miki to really jump into the debate but knowing those two skaters, it makes sense to me that Yuna would score higher on PCS and higher on nonjump elements.
But Miki's combo was harder than Yuna's and while Miki's solo jump was easier Yuna's solo jump wasn't well done. I don't know. They're tied. I still think it's a tough order for Yuna to pull out an great LP with worlds being her first competition and that Miki will win if she's clean. On the other hand, it's clear the judges think Yuna can afford a mistake or two.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
You are required to put preceding steps/turns before your solo jump in the Short Program. Yu-Na's 3Lutz deserved -3 GOE across the board for having no preceding transition + the mistake.

A mohawk is a step as specified by the rules, and she changes edges a couple of times before entering that. It's not an intricate entry into the 3lutz, but she absolutely did do her 3lutz right after executing a step as defined by the rules.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Now the big question is will Mao will be able to bounce back to the podium.... Gold/Silver is appearently out of reach....but she can still salvage bronze if she skates like in 4CC. Or will the Russian skaters will be held up for podium...

I believed we all learned our lesson last season: never count Mao out! If she skates clean tomorrow, there's no one with the content to knock her off the podium!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wait, I didn't read every single comment here but I don't think people are saying that the only distinguishing factor between Yuna and Miki is speed. Yea, Yuna skates with more speed but she has the overall package in artistry. I don't think anyone can deny that Yuna skates with elegance and style.

I usually would agree with you. But this was not a good example of this. When you stack this against any of this against her previous programs, the packaing falls wayshort. Giselle is not about elegance. Giselle is not elegant. She is a peasant girl that fought for her lover from evil spirits. This program would be perfect for Yuna if she did it with her usual attack. I did not see that.

While some would argue using The MIssion is contrite, at least Miki tried to adjust her positions, expressions for the music.

If you want to see a good packing of Giselle, I would say re-watch Yukari Nakano's! Oh...I miss that girl.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
There is not a huge gap between the top ten. Anyone can win or medal, it will be exciting for sure. Can't wait.

Off to the Short Dance thread.

daniel1406

Rinkside
god... y pp are whining about Yuna's so called "not enough deduction"?
she's got all the rotations(it's a bit strange considering the fact that normally step out or two foot landing occur with under-rotation)
But anyway, somehow she rotated fully(I will watch the video again to see whether she rotated more - I'm guessing that might be a reason she stepped out) -_- f

And yeh the point is Yuna surely deserves a deduction on her 3Lz for stepping out but not for under-rotation...
(and in fact her 3Lz was so huge for sure XD too bad she stepped out... wat ashame...)

Layfan

Record Breaker
There is not a huge gap between the top ten. Anyone can win or medal, it will be exciting for sure. Can't wait.

Off to the Short Dance thread.

hmm. If Yuna or Miki don't win it'll be because they seriously messed up. I think the fight is tight for bronze. Maybe a surprise for silver but it'll be because Yuna or Miki messed up. But you can't count anyone out for bronze at this point.