Ladies - Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The judges did seem to favor Alena and Ksenia's energetic skating and Kanako did bring energy. But she isn't polished enough (and still too new) to get breaks from the judges when she is not clean on her elements.

These skaters suffer from low PCS, relative to the higher ranked veterans and to their own TES, especially Kanako. Judges' biases are not so evident, or enough. :p

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I was surprised how weak Kim's performance was today. Hopefully she was getting the nerves out of her system and will better in the long. Ando skated her best but was still her usual mediocre self. Czisny was undermarked and should have been in 1st place over both Kim and Ando.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wish Alissa well. For some reason, I don't think she will be rattled with her skating order. When her nerves used to get to her, it seemed like it was an internal issue, not dependent on other skaters. She has really improved on that.

Think it's a good position for her...however, she does skate right after Kim. If Kim really knocks it out of the park, that's a tough act for anyone to follow.

I haven't had a chance to watch the programs, but thanks, everyone, for the play-by-play commentary.

Alissa's in fourth? Good for her! Can't wait for YouTube.

I feel terrible for Mao, who's one of the best and most beautiful skaters out there. So light and lyrical across the ice, and she has jumps and all sorts of wonderful positions as well. I hope she skates lights-out in the long. And she's behind Carolina? What gives?

I'm relieved that YuNa didn't fall apart, though I'm sorry to hear about the two step-outs. Of course I want everyone to be phenomenal, for selfish reasons as a lover of spectacular skating but also for unselfish ones--so these ladies can feel the satisfaction of having done their best.

This is becoming excruciating! I hope the Long Program is more orderly and less terrifying.

chloepoco

Medalist
I was surprised how weak Kim's performance was today. Hopefully she was getting the nerves out of her system and will better in the long. Ando skated her best but was still her usual mediocre self. Czisny was undermarked and should have been in 1st place over both Kim and Ando.

Mediocre? Well, being medocire got her into second.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
To all the women--

Skate for yourself tomorrow. DO NOT think of medals, or points. Who cares about the judges? They're not the ones training six to eight hours a day. I could care less what they mark you. I want to hear your voice through your performance. As Janet Lynn once said, skating is communicating without words. Talk to us =) We're listening.

janetfan

Match Penalty
So are the judges biased for old favorites or new Russian skaters for political reasons?

"I watched in shock and awe and horror. The new scoring system is as inaccurate and political as the old one."
Toller Cranston

I must agree with Toller on this.

cooper

Medalist
To all the women--

Skate for yourself tomorrow. DO NOT think of medals, or points. Who cares about the judges? They're not the ones training six to eight hours a day. I could care less what they mark you. I want to hear your voice through your performance. As Janet Lynn once said, skating is communicating without words. Talk to us =) We're listening.

Word.

no one is running away with a win. Anyone can still win. Even yuna was disappointed with her performance today on her latest interview. So, everyone should relax.:laugh:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'm glad there isn't too much complaining about the Russian ladies being overscored, because the both of them skated exceptionally. The fact that Russians are doing so well here is NOT because the judges are overscoring them, but because of a very well documented and observed phenomenon in sports known as home field advantage. It happens in all kinds of sports, most of which aren't judged. Athletes tend to perform better in their home country or hometown because they're more familiar with the surroundings, and most of all, because the crowd support is there. Is it really a surprise that people perform better when there are hundreds of people wishing them well and cheering them on directly?

Of course, there are athletes, including many skaters, who in fact buckled under hometown/country expectations/pressure/scrutiny, and performed worse than usual. But overall, the home field advantage is far more likely to be a boon. And it's a credit to the spirit of the Russian skaters here as well as their supporters that most of the Russian competitors rode the support to greater heights.

And let this be a reminder that showing your support to your favorite athletes make a difference!

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
According to story from Mr.Sato,Mao's peaking was great toward March,but due to be postponed,she's not been in good shape. Besides from a book published in Japan,she has an event before a competition that she can't any jumps and that has to be it. Anyway,I'm praying for her tomorrow.

Kinga

Medalist
I have a comment concerning step sequences. I loved how Alissa's steps were built in her program. They came 'unnoticed', as they were not a seperate element, but a part of whole performance. They matched the music without any excessive, rigid body movements - this is, unfortunately a rarity today. In contrasts - Rachel's steps. I enjoy a lot her EoE SP, but the steps are a bit too much - all over the place without any connection with music.

I also love Carolina's SP this year, but I think her flip was URed. Actually she often URs jumps that she falls on, but she never gets penalized for that.

kensal

Rinkside
The judging was OK at this event. I am not sure what people, complaining about Russian skaters, are smoking. Both Makarova and Leonova showed up great and deserved the scores. I like that unlike in Men's event, we actually have some competition from 1 to all the way to 10 places.

Andalusia

Final Flight
I did feel that, artistically, Yu-Na was the best so if she had the highest PCS I'm okay with that (and I didn't like this program in practice). The little touches here and there, the way she moved...all of it felt substantial and well done. Miki's jumps were better executed but she had an easier solo jump, and it's hard to say that her PCS and non-jump elements should have ranked higher than Yu-Na's. I haven't blown my top because their scores are practically tied and each one has an equal chance at winning if they bring it tomorrow. I wouldn't have complained if Miki had scored higher, though, because that's the automatic reaction you have when there's been a visible mistake...you want that person to score lower than someone who's visibly error-free.

And please, Makarova was definitely overscored (same with Gachinski, who I saw for the first time last night and found appalling). I see the build-up's beginning for the Russian skaters leading up to Sochi just as it did for the Canadian skaters leading up to Vancouver. If Makarova had executed that SP at some other event in some other country and without that kind of crowd support, she would not have scored that high. Kudos to her for landing that 3-3, though, as the first 3T has to be the lowest jump I've seen executed by a senior lady in some time.

I shudder to think about the kind of overscoring the Russian babies will be receiving once they move up to seniors no matter how well they skate. Even Yu-Na may not be able to withstand that onslaught with rep scoring.