ICE DANCE - Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

ICE DANCE - Short Dance

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Incredible Maia & Alex!! Such a strong showing for their very first worlds...unbelievable.

jan

On the Ice
S/S were ahead on both TES and PCS. Very odd indeed..especially given their trouble with the twizzles.

Sackie

Medalist
I agree Jan, they were good but not that much better then at 4CC. Yet their score jumped! I think someone is getting bonus marks because they got screwed out of a medal at last years Jr Worlds. Trying to make sure they are in the final group for the free.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Why don't Crone/Poirier use the original version of Fallin'? That soupy cover is just strange and not very good (the singer even flubs the low note in the song). If the original's tempo isn't right, that's easy to adjust with audio software without any noticeable change otherwise. But it was very very clever how the set patterns in the golden waltz fit the lyrics and phrasing of Fallin'. Although their skating didn't quite live up to that.

Freaking Russian stream doing a split screen during the Shibutanis skate! I love Virtue/Moir but I don't want to hear them interviewed while I'm watching another team. Rude!

Carron/Jones' Jacques Brel song is ridiculously charming, and the tempo increase in the end makes for a really rousing program. If only they could live up to it just a touch more.

jan

On the Ice
It will be interesting to see how they mark the hometown russians!!!! Will one of them be put in medal contention?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, now I really have to go. Catchya on the flipside.

colleen, if you don't comment on V/M's SD soon, I'll cry big soupy tears.

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why don't Crone/Poirier use the original version of Fallin'? That soupy cover is just strange and not very good (the singer even flubs the low note in the song). If the original's tempo isn't right, that's easy to adjust with audio software without any noticeable change otherwise. But it was very very clever how the set patterns in the golden waltz fit the lyrics and phrasing of Fallin'. Although their skating didn't quite live up to that.

That's what I'd like to know! I think it would sound so much better if they used Alicia Keys' version. Or, even, no vocals at all.

Sackie

Medalist
The way the judges have been overmarking the two other American teams I would say it is a possiblity.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
It will be interesting to see how they mark the hometown russians!!!! Will one of them be put in medal contention?

It seems to me I/K will have a bit of "help", but like Serious Business mentioned before, the hometown crowd helps electrify the atmosphere, too.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I/K are inconsistent. It remains to be seen if they keep it together. I sure hope so

smia

Rinkside
It seems to me I/K will have a bit of "help", but like Serious Business mentioned before, the hometown crowd helps electrify the atmosphere, too.
Help from who? Here's the judging panel and technical officials.

Officials SD - Ref Coton GBR), TC Leaver (USA), TS Higashino (JPN), TS Ponomarenko (RUS), Panel - Rogers (USA), Hurth (FRA), Laur (EST), Clark (CAN), Kato (JPN), Alpern (ISR), Heidler (AUT) Langton (AUS), Buchanan (GBR)

There are two Americans, two Brits but only one Russian and an Estonian but based on the name, I doubt s/he's ethnically Russian.

ETA: Oh and also two Japanese. The panel is very skewed against eastern Europeans. Only two from that side of the continent whereas there are four from western Europe and three from North America so I'm not sure where your sour grapes is coming from.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Ok so that explains why the Americans are scoring so well with their levels and obtaining new SB.