Ladies - Long Program | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
In my opinion Kim should have won despite the mistakes. It was still better than Ando's LP overall. I am sad for Kim. In the exhibition she skated like she had lost her soul the day before.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kept hearing that Yu-Na Kim was struggling with motivation issues in coming back to competition, which leads me to believe that she is only competing because of what she feels as an obligation to her country or to her fans. If her heart is not really in to competing, and she would prefer to be a show skater, then she should be allowed to follow her heart.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I kept hearing that Yu-Na Kim was struggling with motivation issues in coming back to competition, which leads me to believe that she is only competing because of what she feels as an obligation to her country or to her fans. If her heart is not really in to competing, and she would prefer to be a show skater, then she should be allowed to follow her heart.

I think she did follow her heart and her heart told her that she needed a longer break from usual from competition but still wanted to give it a go at worlds. It was a tricky and risky decision and I'm sure she knew that it would be a disadvantage to have worlds be her first competition but that is what she wanted to do with her life this year. Far be it from me to tell her what to do. Especially after she just won the silver.
I think she did just fine. It's hardly the end of the world that she made a couple of mistakes. She's positioned very nicely to go either way next year: keep competing as a heavy favorite (probably THE favorite) or dedicate herself to show skating.

katymay

Medalist
Oooooooooh, that makes more sense. I had thought it meant "on the podium," and no one's post was making sense to me. I heard she only lost 10 lbs in a month, which is better than 10 kg. Yuna and Miki are quite thin too, but they manage to make those jumps.

Yuna has always been willowy. Miki looks much better this year, and not so coincidentally, hasn't she been living and training in the U.S.? Funny how that seems to work out. Live and train under the japanese system-and No Food For You. Beginning with Midori Ito, (who almost died as I recall ) and ending (if only) with Mao. I think there is a Giant Pink Elephant in the room, and it is time that someone official intervened. Will they? Probably only when a skater finally dies.

essiejane

Rinkside
Could someone please post the link to the medal ceremony? I know someone did a while back, but I can't find it. :biggrin:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
In my opinion Kim should have won despite the mistakes. It was still better than Ando's LP overall. I am sad for Kim. In the exhibition she skated like she had lost her soul the day before.

Everyone is shocked at her gala performance. The news is that she may have hurt herself on that triple lutz landing in SP, and is in pain. She is flying back to Seoul now, so we will know more soon. Let's not draw premature conclusions until we know more. She deserves at least that much.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Re: Yuna's tears, Mao's weight

I'm not going to dig up the relevant quotes from earlier on in this thread about Yuna's tears, but, to me, it was clear from the fact that she was skating her "Homage to Korea" program to thank her fans, that she was planning to retire and that she was tearing up due to the fact that it was her last competition.

Mao said she started to lose wight too early this time. I guess it's very hard for an athlete to peak at the right time, even for Mao.

We established earlier in this thread that she lost 10 lbs due to the stress from the earthquake in Japan (we posted the news article mentioning this). I'd be interested to see your sources for her having "started to lose weight too early this time" as if it were intentional.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Yuna has always been willowy. Miki looks much better this year, and not so coincidentally, hasn't she been living and training in the U.S.? Funny how that seems to work out. Live and train under the japanese system-and No Food For You. Beginning with Midori Ito, (who almost died as I recall ) and ending (if only) with Mao. I think there is a Giant Pink Elephant in the room, and it is time that someone official intervened. Will they? Probably only when a skater finally dies.

Maybe living n training in US and chowing down on Baconator n supersize me up is good for FS after all?? LOL
I think it just the food are different. Japanese cuisine is very lean and mostly, fish, rice, vegeis n soybase. I lived in tokyo for a month and you be surprise how healthy the Japanese peoples eat n the amount of portion. For the entire stay, i don't see a single Jolly peoples LOL.
Every dish is weighted n tell u how much calories and nutrients in there. It may be good for u if u are just normal peoples, but for sport athelic u r definietly need to comsume more.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just finished watching this today because I didn't get a chance to watch it yesterday. I'm totally fine with Miki being the world champion. Yu-Na just wasn't her same self from the 2010 Olympics. Neither was Mao, in a bigger way. I hope Mao can get it together for the next season to challenge for the podium again. For Yu-Na, her difficulties can easily be explained by not competing all season until now. Um, I was sort of happy for Carolina getting the bronze because she had such a difficult time last season and it was kind of like redemption. I wasn't impressed with her single-double combination and it wasn't a perfect skate but it was pretty good. I'm disappointed about the showings of Cynthia Phaneuf and Rachael Flatt, and I hoped for more for Alissa Csizny too (but didn't really expect it, she would have got a medal maybe if she went completely clean, but I didn't think she would). The Russian women really stepped it up, especially Leonova, which they had best do if they don't want the youngsters to take over. Viktoria Helgesson was one other disappointment for me. I thought she might challenge for the top 10, but she ended up way back and neither of her programs were skated to the best of her ability. Joshi Helgesson was good, though.

I meant consistent in general terms. My entire post actually wanted to emphasize the fact that Worlds has never been her very best competition, which is interesting given her usual consistenty. Yu-na is pretty consistent, actually, especially when it comes to her 3-3s. Recently, she's been very vulnerable, yes, but I was giving an assessment of her entire skating career. And I think it's rather unfair to highlight Yu-na's (overall) consistency in those terms (looking at just Worlds), since she was competing while injured in two out of five. I think her Worlds track record actually corrobrates my belief that she does indeed have a measure of consistency, since she's been able to medal in all events despite different difficulties. 2007, 2008 she was injured. 2010 she ran out of steam after accomplishing her amazing Olympic feat. 2011 she returned to competitive ice after a full year off, but still managed to remain competitive. If you put her performances in context, she wasn't too shabby.

And really I think the fact that she's never been OTP her entire career is in itself evidence of her consistency unless you want to argue that consistent skaters must always deliver clean programs. Then it'd be interesting to see which skaters you would actually consider consistent.

And frankly I don't understand why you're saying Yu-na didn't win multiple World Titles because of her own faults because I never said Yu-na deserves any of the titles she's lost. I'm sorry if my post was misleading (although I think my thoughts were pretty clear). I just said it's interesting she isn't a multiple World Champion. She's won 13 out of her 19 senior competitions, but out of the six she lost, four were Worlds. She just doesn't seem to have much luck when it comes to the WC.

Kind of the way Michelle was unlucky in the Olympics. Sometimes things just happen that way. But you're right; in terms of podium qualification, YuNa has an astonishing and laudable record of consistency, even during years when she faced obstacles such as severe injuries, such as the year of her back injury. Consistency and perfection aren't necessarily the same thing. Skating isn't always tidy, and the ice, as people often remind us, is slippery.

I do hope that both YuNa and Mao can dust themselves off and return next year. I am not disappointed in YuNa's performance, considering that this was the first time she tested out her programs in competition, but my heart aches for Mao, who along with YuNa is a skater for the ages. As dlgpffps says in another post, feed this girl and get her strong again, and wait for her to shine. She lost 10 kg? Yipes! I'm amazed that she landed after her jumps and didn't just drift away on the light beams of the spotlights.

rossdale

Match Penalty
I dont want Yuna to compete any events hosted by ISU. ISU, they dont deserve to bring the greatest skater like Yuna.. Why dont you bother ??? Miki Ando? World Champion with that performance??? You gotta kiddding....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dont want Yuna to compete any events hosted by ISU. ISU, they dont deserve to bring the greatest skater like Yuna.. Why dont you bother ??? Miki Ando? World Champion with that performance??? You gotta kiddding....

*shrugs* Yuna wasn't at her best, Miki pretty much was. Try to look at it unbiasedly and I can see how it happens. I like Yuna well enough, but her program wasn't as inspired as last years. You can't expect to be brilliant and clean and polished at the first competition of the season - no matter who you are and how long you had to train.

rossdale

Match Penalty
I just finished watching this today because I didn't get a chance to watch it yesterday. I'm totally fine with Miki being the world champion. Yu-Na just wasn't her same self from the 2010 Olympics. Neither was Mao, in a bigger way. I hope Mao can get it together for the next season to challenge for the podium again. For Yu-Na, her difficulties can easily be explained by not competing all season until now. Um, I was sort of happy for Carolina getting the bronze because she had such a difficult time last season and it was kind of like redemption. I wasn't impressed with her single-double combination and it wasn't a perfect skate but it was pretty good. I'm disappointed about the showings of Cynthia Phaneuf and Rachael Flatt, and I hoped for more for Alissa Csizny too (but didn't really expect it, she would have got a medal maybe if she went completely clean, but I didn't think she would). The Russian women really stepped it up, especially Leonova, which they had best do if they don't want the youngsters to take over. Viktoria Helgesson was one other disappointment for me. I thought she might challenge for the top 10, but she ended up way back and neither of her programs were skated to the best of her ability. Joshi Helgesson was good, though.

Are you serious? Yuna's performance at Olympics is the best of all. That's why she set world record for her both SP and LP... Miki Ando? Was her performance at 2011 world better than hers at Olympics?? I dont thinks so.. She recieved the score of 124 at Vancouver. With my best generous estimation, 125 is the max justifiable score for Miki Ando at 2011 world.

rossdale

Match Penalty
In my opinion, Yuna and Ando are in the differnt league... Yuna's performance at world was one of her good ones.. Not her best of course..

Miki's greatest performance can not beat Yuna's good one. Certainly Miki's performance was not her best, either.

*shrugs* Yuna wasn't at her best, Miki pretty much was. Try to look at it unbiasedly and I can see how it happens. I like Yuna well enough, but her program wasn't as inspired as last years. You can't expect to be brilliant and clean and polished at the first competition of the season - no matter who you are and how long you had to train.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
very hard to judge with opinion when one clearly has a personal favorite, though. Being emotionally uninvested makes it easier to see where the judges were going with the scores.

Honestly? the ladies event is quite possibly one of the most boring sports events ever. Always feel that way. I have my favorite ladies skaters, but it's due to their exhibitions far more than their competitive programs. I'm not saying this is the way it is for everyone - obviously not as it's one of the most popular to watch by so many on here - but I don't get why some are miffed about who won. :confused:

Miki beating Kim - yeah Miki skated all year and was familiar with his program and wasn't off her game. Yuna was, end of story. If we want to argue based on personal preference and biased favor then fine you're all wrong and Alissa (my "favorite" in this comp) should be WC... but I know better than that.

Last edited:

rossdale

Match Penalty
You dont make any sense... Only "A" thing that I agree with you is about Alissa. She is one of my favorites..

wallylutz

Medalist
very hard to judge with opinion when one clearly has a personal favorite, though. Being emotionally uninvested makes it easier to see where the judges were going. Honestly? the ladies event is quite possibly one of the most boring sports events ever. Always feel that way. I have my favorite ladies skaters, but it's due to their exhibitions far more than their competitive programs. I'm not saying this is the way it is for everyone - obviously not as it's one of the most popular to watch by so many on here - but I don't get why everyone is miffed about who won. Scores being inflated happens all the time. Miki beating Kim - yeah Miki skated all year and was familiar with his program and wasn't off her game. Yuna was, end of story. If we want to argue based on personal preference and biased favor then fine you're all wrong and Alissa (my "favorite" in this comp) should be WC... but I know better than that.

I agree with you. Ladies are probably my least favorite event as well but it's not because the ladies are boring; the other events are just more athletic and more exciting and risky. That said, I think it would be best to stay clear of any discussion involving Yu-Na Kim. It's close to impossible to have any reasonable conversation with people who are obviously emotionally married to Yu-Na Kim. Kim could have fallen 3 times in the LP, and they would still have told you she deserves to be 1st. Enough said, I made my point, moving on.

oleada

Record Breaker
Are you serious? Yuna's performance at Olympics is the best of all. That's why she set world record for her both SP and LP... Miki Ando? Was her performance at 2011 world better than hers at Olympics?? I dont thinks so.. She recieved the score of 124 at Vancouver. With my best generous estimation, 125 is the max justifiable score for Miki Ando at 2011 world.

Yes, but Yu-Na did not skate like it she did at the Olympics. She was lackluster, made technical errors and her spins were subpar. It really showed that it was the first time skating this program. Miki skated cleaner and had a high base value. No, it was not her best, but it was better than what Yu-na put out here.

I agree...the ladies have not been exciting lately. I thought the men and pairs were the best part of this competition. It seems like we're getting the contenders to skate to their potential in the other 3 disciplines. In the ladies, not so much.

Lilith11

On the Ice
^Slightly OT but I actually thought Ice Dance was quite well skated this time round at Worlds. That last flight was just wow :D