Ladies - Long Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I like Yuna's LP! The jumps were not there, but she was engaged to the performance. And I agree with Tracy(?) her performance is more mature. I thinks this is beyond superfacial acting now.
Karolina is the high light and I'm so happy for her comeback.
I love the young Japane girl, and Mao was robbed of PCS.

Miki made progress in performance this year but this was not the best for her this year. I still believe she is not musical and just does what she's told to. It showed this time obviously. But she deserve to win I guess, when others faltered. Congratulations!

All in all, a so so compitition, lest interesting one in this Worlds.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
I like Yuna's LP! The jumps were not there, but she was engaged to the performance. And I agree with Tracy(?) her performance is more mature. I thinks this is beyond superfacial acting now.
Karolina is another high light and I'm so happy for her comeback.
I love the young Japane girl, and Mao was robbed of PCS.

Miki made progress in performance this year but this was not the best for her this year. I still believe she is not musical and just does what she's told to. It showed this time obviously. But she deserve to win I guess, when others faltered. Congratulations!

All in all, a so so compitition, lest interesting one in this Worlds.

Agreed. I think she's in a transitional phase artistry wise... she's trying to move past just facial expressions/acting and to skate from the soul. Thus why I think w/more competitive mileage and refinements, it could be breathtaking. So please Yu-na, compete on the GP next season?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I am glad Koster won, more Leonova. To me, she has the best LP of the ladies, so light, fast and skating to her full potential. Granted she pop a jump and some of her jump are shaky, but all the PCS requirement are there. I would have give her the highest PCS of the night thou, if i am the judges. Great ending to her season, after all the injury and up n down skating.

Watching the performance again, I agree. What really struck me this time that I didn't recall from before (may have been one of the moments I ducked out to quell my barking dog) was how wonderful her footwork sequence was. Her ice coverage has improved on this element and it no longer seems jagged but rather has complete lobes akin to a serpentine. The timing of her steps was not rushed at all either, she held positions out before executing turns while maintaining her speed and didn't overdo it with the body dips either. It was perhaps the best footwork sequence of the entire World Championship, including the Men's event.

I also noticed that her first Triple Salchow was completely divine. The height and ice coverage on that thing was amazing. That jump, along with her Triple Flip, both definitely deserved +2 GOE. Her overall arm movements in this performance were simply lovely as well. It's definitely her best performance of the program; she really paid attention to the details here and felt the music.

So now I'm actually thinking Miki Ando shouldn't have been on the podium at all. :think:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
So now I'm actually thinking Miki Ando shouldn't have been on the podium at all. :think:

If your intention is to be next Donald Trump or Johnny Weir, you are doing a fine job in getting attention for now. Just remember, this won't last very long. We all know when Pasha Grishuck called Oksana Baiul a criminal hoping to land herself in the Hollywood in the process, she ended up somewhere but it ain't Hollywood. :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You say it's good news that it's a new era for the American ladies. Except that a whole "new era" has come and gone with none of the newbies - Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, - living up to what they did as juniors. So are we in for a similar cycle over the next three years? :confused2:

I mean that a new era is COMING UP for US ladies. The current era- the status quo - which includes Czisny, Flatt, Wagner, Nagasu and Zhang - just isn't getting the job done. We've been stuck with 2 ladies spots ever since they took over. (of course, it was the previous generation, Meissner, Hughes, etc. that lost the 3rd spot in the first place)

Last edited:
I think what Layfan was getting at is that we have no reason to think that the next wave of the future will turn out any better than the current wave of the future, or than the previous wave of the future.

ks777

Record Breaker
whatever happened to Leonova's hair? Is that the most popular hair style in Russia at the moment or she is going for the Julia Sebestyen look?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I agree. I really like Rachael and I hope people will be kind. I was impressed with how well she skated considering she had a stress fracture, right tibia. She did not have the lowest placement of an American Lady ever.

I think Rachael should have withdrawn, if she knew she couldn't skate her best why would she skate?? Why would she risk it.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
We've been stuck with 2 ladies spots ever since they took over. (of course, it was the previous generation, Meissner, Hughes, etc. that lost the 3rd spot in the first place)

Well, in all fairness, Meissner was the last singles' female skater to medal for the U.S. (and a gold, no less!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, in all fairness, Meissner was the last singles' female skater to medal for the U.S. (and a gold, no less!)

Well, yes. (don't forget Cohen was on the podium with her, in 3rd)

Not sure why everyone feels so sorry for Flatt. People were merciless on Czisny in 2009, but all of a sudden Flatt gets a pass?? Come on. I have a funny feeling she knew she was barely hanging on.

Cerulean

Rinkside
In general it looks like a good work in progress, while most people I've read in blogs loved the footwork sequence music cut I hated the wailing voice, it took my attention away from what she was doing on the ice. I would definitely change that to another music cut.

After reading your post, I went back and "listened" again and I have to agree. Not sure what that part of the music is about but it is, uhm, rather disturbing.

I finished uploading the British Eurosport LPs,
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=1777E85DD1CFA17F

Apparently there's a copyright claim blocking them from being viewed in JPN / Korea, as someone on YouTube PM'd me lol.

Thanks Bibi. For a brief second, when I heard the British accent, I thought I had tuned into a Premiere League broadcast.

Incidentally, some comments in this thread look like they belong in a soccer hooligan forum rather than a sport that is about beauty and artistry. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone feels so sorry for Flatt. People were merciless on Czisny in 2009, but all of a sudden Flatt gets a pass?? Come on. I have a funny feeling she knew she was barely hanging on.

"People" were merciless on Czisny? ;)

Rachael gave it her best shot. Stuff happens.

Krislite

Medalist
Well, yes. (don't forget Cohen was on the podium with her, in 3rd)

Probably because of Flatt's injury. I don't think Alissa was nursing any injury when she bombed in 2009.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Probably because of Flatt's injury. I don't think Alissa was nursing any injury when she bombed in 2009.

Then the question becomes (and I posed the question in another thread) should she have even skated at worlds then?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Then the question becomes (and I posed the question in another thread) should she have even skated at worlds then?

That's not a question any of us can answer because we don't know enough about the circumstances and degree of injury.

Now please see the thread about "HEART."

Rachael skated with a painful injury and surely tried to do her best. She is one tough cookie :yes:
That is enough to gain my admiration.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
Evita is a lovely piece of music.. Did anyone notice that Makarova was way too fast and almost hectical in her movements??? I didn't like that at all.

I fell in love with Kostner's Flip. Wasn't that a beauty??? When her jumps are there. it's like : Yuna who??

Czisney's program just draws you in. Very beautiful.

Ando did two clean performances but her FP just didn't grab my attention. I don't know why. From the potential of the programs I wished the podium was Kostner, Kim and Czisny ( random order).

On TV screen Mao looks awfully slim and powerless somehow.

Athletes always think they might be able to skate through the pain. I also suspect that since no one else can be brought in to substitute for a skater at that late moment, he or she feels obligated to give it a try. That's probably what Rachael did. It's the last skate of the season (maybe her last world championships ever), and I can't fault her for doing something like that. It's not as if her skating penalized the U.S., after all. It just means that we don't get a third spot, and we wouldn't have gotten one if Rachel had withdrawn, either.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think what Layfan was getting at is that we have no reason to think that the next wave of the future will turn out any better than the current wave of the future, or than the previous wave of the future.

Thanks, that is what I was saying.

It's strange to think about it but ALISSA CZISNY has been the most successful U.S. lady since the demise of Kimmie Meissner. Rachael has been the steadiest (until now) and Mirai has shown the most promising flashes of potential greatness (4th Olympics, 1st worlds SP) but only Alissa has won international competitions and been a two-time U.S. champion (granted the first was controversial). I wish she could have brought home a world medal but it was not to be.
But next year will be our year. Mirai will be world champion and Alissa will be on the podium. Or Christina or Agnes will blossom into sudden stars and be on the podium and I'll eat my words about the next crop being as disappointing as the last :yes:

Incidently, I just rewatched Carolina's LP and she was divine. I can't describe is as well as BoP a few posts ago but she lived up completely to her reputation as an elegant skater. Whatever slight long-legged awkwardness she has totally works for Afternoon of a Fawn but actually, there was very little of the awkwardness that I once associated with her. She was easily the most elegant skater of the night. Well, maybe tied with Alissa. They have different strengths. Carolina is just so fast and her jumps are big. Alissa is much quieter but those spins... But Carolina's ice presence was grand.
I'm so happy Carolina was on the podium with that lovely program. Talk about resurrecting your career. And her delight at the end of the skate was wonderful to see. I I think she might have been might favorite tonight.

From the potential of the programs I wished the podium was Kostner, Kim and Czisny ( random order).

Those were my three favorite programs too. :) But look at this way: even if it didn't turn out perfectly, we still got treated to those wonderful programs as fans. (Besides, you got two out of three and we can be thrilled that Japan got a world champion with everything they are going through. Kudos to Miki)

Last edited: