Ice Dance - FD | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD

alithia

Final Flight
The problem is that some fans think that if they offend other skaters it's ok.But if they think that someone has offended Tessa,it's all wrong.As if the other skaters aren't real people with real feelings.
I think some of us really need to grow up and don't take things too personally.
Doris hasn't said that Tessa is fat,unless I have forgotten everything about the english language and can't understand what I'm reading.
On the other hand,insulting Meryl,Nathalie, Federica,Elena,Ekaterina and any other skater for example, has to be acceptable?And if a person complains about what is said about them he's instantly a fan of them and a sworn enemy of the other?
Tongue in cheek comments are humor, and humor is made with a positive attitude,unless the attitude is negative and that's called sarcasm which is also a kind of humor, but that's another talk and for another moment.
It can also occur that some fans love skating and aren't obsessed with skaters.Or that some fans love programs and are obsessed with programs, but if a certain program isn't to their liking they may not be so " fanatic" about the skater next season.That's life, that's sport...
About V/M...It's not their haters that spread rumors about them,insinuate they have health problems,that they're leaving sports,that they 're ungrateful to their fans because they had surgery Unfortunately it's their own fanbase that does this, and it's really sad.

npa

Match Penalty
On the other hand,insulting Meryl,Nathalie, Federica,Elena,Ekaterina and any other skater for example, has to be acceptable?
I post this before - its not OK to post something like this about any skater. To post something "Skater A didnt have good faciall expression" - its OK. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra - no.
About V/M...It's not their haters that spread rumors about them,insinuate they have health problems,that they're leaving sports,that they 're ungrateful to their fans because they had surgery Unfortunately it's their own fanbase that does this, and it's really sad.
i think its was Virtue who talk about her health problems. And how any rumors could be compare with unrespected posts about some skaters? :biggrin:

jcoates

Medalist
NPA, please take several deep breaths and reexamine what Doris wrote and reconsider that you may be mistaken in your point of view. I'm going to try to explain this to you as clearly as possible, because I am going to generously assume that you have completely misunderstood this entire situation.

If I recall, you originally accused Doris of saying that Tessa had a face like a puppy. I'm guessing that you believe this is your evidence that she was calling Tessa fat. On this point you are 100% incorrect. Let me plainly spell this out for your without the level of nuance Doris employed in her original post. Tessa tends to use similar facial expressions repeatedly regardless of the program she is skating. There are three which she tends to use. First, one expression indicates surprise or joy like someone would display when receiving a gift like a new puppy from your significant other. (Please note there is nothing in this that refers to Tessa's face looking anything like a puppy. I believe this is where you misconstrued Doris' comment into thinking Tessa was being called fat.) Second, another expression is meant to convey innocent sexiness like one sees displayed by a young woman who is just coming to terms with her newfound and still developing body. In other words, the kind of sexiness displayed by Mirai Nagasu or some other young skater, not the full-fledged sexiness of Katarina Witt. (It makes sense for this to be improved because Tessa is not a teen anymore, but a 20something.) Third, the last expression is meant to communicate determination or anger. These are descriptions of archetypal situations which are very familiar to people in art as well as life. They are used to make an illustrative point to make it easier for the reader to grasp a concept. Clearly you have missed that point entirely.

Doris was quite clear about this being something that Tessa had never had to improve further because up to this point her other talents and successes had not forced her to have to make such a change. Think of it like people wishing Kwan or Yuna-Kim would improve their leg position in their layback. They still won virtually all the time without doing so, but many fans would love to see skaters of their caliber achieve the highest possible standard in everything they do. It's a cosmetic but not a truly substantive change. That is all Doris was saying. Belbin got through almost her whole career with pretty much one expression (her 'O' face) and Krylova had about two expressions. The same points were made to them by fans, judges etc. These points are not insults. They are constructive criticism. If you don't understand what that is, please go look it up.

Sadly, you have a history of attacking anyone on this site who makes even the mildest of criticisms against your favorite skaters. Somehow you assume that a criticism of someone you like implies that the critic must necessarily be an ardent fan of their chief rival. This is absurd. The very post you cited as as evidence in your current attack contains critiques of all the top teams. You can't have it both ways. This is not mature behavior and frankly it takes the fun out of the forum on a far too frequent basis for the rest of us. So please drop this silliness and move on to some topic of greater substance. It will do all of us a great deal of good.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Honestly , npa... you really need to give up on this. It's no use. Everyone on these boards knows that Doris is one of the most fair-minded posters here . She has said ,on occasion, that she personally prefers D/W , but never fails to give credit to V/M for their excellence .

I have seen people say some vicious things about Tessa ...most egregiously on other forums..but not Doris. And I've seen people say vicious things about Meryl and many other skaters, too.

I'm a big fan of V/M , but I didn't take Doris' comment at the time to be an attack on Tessa , just a humorous way of saying she'd like to see her use a wider range of expression . I didn't agree, and replied with an example of what Tessa's expression ( in the SD ) said to me...Finis... No hurt feelings , no disrespect for the skaters or each other. :)

If we didn't have some differences of opinion we'd have nothing to talk about. The challenge is to have a discussion ( and occasionally a bit of fun ) without provoking a flame war. There's nothing like a flame war to drive reasonable people away . So let's not try to find one where it doesn't exist.

Last edited: