Yuna Kim donated silver prize money for Japanese earthquake victims. | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim donated silver prize money for Japanese earthquake victims.

indiansoul

Spectator
I've posted this thread on Ladies LP board,
but just want to let more people know it.

Today, Yuna donated her prize money for Japanese earthquake victims through UNICEF.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2011/05/01/17/0200000000AEN20110501000900315F.HTML

I remember her tears yesterday,
and the tenacious arguments between the two rival parts.

There, clearly, are some problems in ISU scoring system and int' sports politics,
which always lead the discord among the interested,

but her naiveness just melt it down today.

I've heard her overall donations are estimated over 2.5 millions,
she teaches us something.

You are the real queen, yuna. :thumbsup:

I can't imagine seeing anything but kindness and decency in this gesture, and I find it impressive. If some of her fans idolize her more for this, it's no different from fans of the Jonas Brothers finding glory in their every gesture. What's wrong with that? She still did the right thing, and she'll inspire her fans to look outward and support UNICEF or other causes as well.

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I admire Yu-na for her incredible gesture, and all the skaters around the world who expressed sorrow through charity, kind messages, and most recently today special exhibition numbers like Kavaguchi and Smirnov (I was in tears).

Ilvskating

Final Flight
That is very kind of Yuna! I hate people's evil thought when clearly other people are just doing hornourable things. This is not the first time Yuna gives generously. To be honest, I had been a big fan of Yuna ( but not one of "Yuna fan"), I was pissed off by the ugly split between Yuna and Brian, and declared that I was not a fan of hers any more. I think I just turned around and start to like Yuna again. I still think that she should have delt with the coach changing better no matter whose fault it was because after all she got her OGM and world tilte when she was with Brian, but she was very young (still a kid in my eyes). Her programs at World showed she's still trying to improve. I'm almost a fan again. So give the girl a break and just appreciate her kind deed. As for "Yuna fans", Yuna was not treated unfairly at World, she didn't skate as well as she might be capable of. She was not robbed, not was her a victem of politics. I like her program but she did not deserve to win this time. I never like Miki's skating much, and I do not appreciate her conservative approach to win it but she did skated better. The one I feel for is Mao, I think she's the one treated unfavorably by the judges.
I know none of Yuna fans or Japnese fans would like what I have said maybe. But that's just how I feel.
To Yuna and Mao, hopefully see you both as better skaters than you already are in next season!

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
This was so nice of Yu-Na. :rock:

I honestly have no idea why some people feel inclined to bring up national tensions between Japan/Korea (that most Japanese/Korean I know personally do not even feel) EVERY time Yu-Na and Japan are used in the same sentence. Do you realize you are just fueling the fire by doing so? It was a great thing to do, just leave it at that. Fans are happy because of her generosity. Those affected in Tohoku will be happy to receive help. Absolutely no need to generalize Korean and Japanese fans like that. Not everything has an ulterior motive--deal with it.

It's gotten old a long, long time ago. :disapp:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very kind of Yuna to donate her prize money. It does not surprise me at all given Yuna's involvement with charity work. She is a class act, but then I already knew that.

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
So basically what I'm getting from this thread is that if Yu-na does anything, charity or otherwise, she's going to be ripped apart o_O

Come on, it's not like she hasn't donated before or this is her first time. As Jaylee showed, Yu-na's been generous since her earliest years before she became the multi-millionaire she is today. There is a reason she is a UNICEF ambassador other than her high public profile. And so what if it's an anonymous donation or not? A donation's a donation and it goes to a good cause so why the big fuss about it?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Please remember the guidelines when posting. This Japan vs Korea tension is not tolerated on Golden Skate. Let's stay focussed on the topic and not centuries old aggression.

Cerulean

Rinkside
Classy gesture by Yuna.

So I have a question for anyone who cares to enlighten me. Why so much hate for this girl? She is a hard-worker who seems to care greatly for the sport, her fans and her country. She doesn't come across as bitchy or diva-like in the press and she seems like a nice person but if this forum is any indication, there are people who absolutely cannot stand her. Why?

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Classy gesture by Yuna.

So I have a question for everyone who cares to enlighten me. Why so much hate for this girl? She is a hard-worker who seems to care greatly for the sport, her fans and her country. She doesn't come across as bitchy or diva-like in the press and she seems like a nice person but if this forum is any indication, there are people who absolutely cannot stand her. Why?

Most likely the Orser split last year and the 2009 incident when she allegedly stated that Jpn skater were getting in her way (even though it was SBS that twisted her words into some big Japan-Korean scandal -_-)

figurejennah

On the Ice
Most likely the Orser split last year and the 2009 incident when she allegedly stated that Jpn skater were getting in her way (even though it was SBS that twisted her words into some big Japan-Korean scandal -_-)

I don't understand why there was so much fuss over yuna-orser split. No one really said anything about Mao firing Tarasova or Adam Rippon firing Orser. Also, Orser was the one who announced Yuna's new season music without her consent (which many believed was a totally inappropriate gesture), and to be honest, I don't think David Wilson would have stayed with Yuna if she was a so called "bitchy" girl.

Just out of curiosity, did any of Japanese skaters donate money to Japan earthquake fund? Knowing how much Japanese media had harrassed Yuna for the past several years, I think it is just unbelievably kind and generous of yuna to still donate money. I hope the media will leave this poor girl alone from now on.

chloepoco

Medalist
Knowing how much Japanese media had harrassed Yuna for the past several years, I think it is just unbelievably kind and generous of yuna to still donate money. I hope the media will leave this poor girl alone from now on.

It is absolutely wonderful of Yuna to donate her earnings from the championships. However, I'm not understanding where your "Japanese media harassing Yuna for the past several years" is coming from.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Geez, can't we just say, 'good for Yuna," and leave it at that? :sheesh: