Cinquanta's Interview on the Set-up of the World Team Championship | Golden Skate

Cinquanta's Interview on the Set-up of the World Team Championship

Thanks for posting this.

So the team event will be first at the Sochi Olympics, with the individual championships later. I assume (although this isn't made clear in the interview) that a country will have a choice as to whether to enter the same people or different people in the team contest and the individuals.

For countries like the U.S., This could alleviate the log-jam a little. For instance, if it had been this year we could have sent our worlds team to the individuals, and then sent Jeremy Abbott and Mirai Nagasu to the team championship.

Krislite

Medalist
Thanks for posting this.

So the team event will be first at the Sochi Olympics, with the individual championships later. I assume (although this isn't made clear in the interview) that a country will have a choice as to whether to enter the same people or different people in the team contest and the individuals.

For countries like the U.S., This could alleviate the log-jam a little. For instance, if it had been this year we could have sent our worlds team to the individuals, and then sent Jeremy Abbott and Mirai Nagasu to the team championship.

Let's hope that's the case. I can't imagine any federation wanting to risk losing individual golds by overworking their best skaters in having them skate both events. Besides, a "team" gold only counts as "one" gold medal in the rankings.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If the ISF intends to add the World Team Championship, I hope they consider dropping the World championship on the Olympic year. Worlds after the olympic is always sparecely participated anyway, and most skaters are exhausted by then.

What kind of title does a Winner of the Individual skater have if he/she is not the Winner of the regular World Championships? Do we have two world champions?

What kind of title does a Winner of the Individual skater have if he/she is not the Winner of the regular World Championships?

Right now the proposal of a team event is for the Olympics only. (So the individual title would be "Olympic Gold Medalist" :) )

Cinquanta also discusses the possibility of adding a team event to the World Championships at some time in the distant future, but says that the logistic problems might make it too unwieldy.

Last edited: