Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011?? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
About the Daisuke boot problem, I'm wondering if the Japanese skaters aren't that careful with their equipment, since Oda had a problem with his boot in Vancouver, although I think it was the lace that time? I was also wondering if there was a saboteur, but I think that's a little farfetched actually.

fscric

On the Ice
Highlights:
- Patrick Chan winning and breaking both SP and LP world records.
- Miki Ando winning

Low:
- Yuna Kim not doing well in both skates
- Mao Asada looked scarily thin

Layfan

Record Breaker
when the screw came off dai's skate and he rushed over to get it fixed, the camera focused on speedy and scott hamilton, with speedy clearly mocking the japanese by demonstrating them screwing the heel back on (with appropriate gestures) and a big grin on his face. When he saw the camera was on him he abruptly stopped and looked chagrined. Basically, it make him look like he was happy with a top japanese competitor having a big problem. In context, not cool. Out of context... Still not cool. The audience just laughed, but i was really quite surprised.

ugh.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What should the rules be to make sure the skaters are vigilant about their own equipment and not disrupt the competition? An equipment malfunction is almost always tragic and detrimental to the skater but it's also their responsibility. Given the extreme importance of the skates to a skater, it's hard to comprehen why not everything possible is constantly done to ensure their proper function, especially during a competition.

True, but stuff happens. I think that 3 minutes to correct a broken skate or boot or be disqualified is harsh. It is not the same as correcting a loose strap
on your costume or dress or a loose shoelace.

Puchi

On the Ice
About the Daisuke boot problem, I'm wondering if the Japanese skaters aren't that careful with their equipment, since Oda had a problem with his boot in Vancouver, although I think it was the lace that time? I was also wondering if there was a saboteur, but I think that's a little farfetched actually.

About the bolded part, Oksana Baiul had problems with her boot laces in the SP at 1993 Europeans, and had to re-start her program. The same happened to Tonya Harding in Lillehammer. And Michelle Kwan had problems when the heel of her skate broke off before her SP in 2001 Worlds. Are they all Japanese, or perhaps this kind of problem may occur at random sometimes? ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
About the bolded part, Oksana Baiul had problems with her boot laces in the SP at 1993 Europeans, and had to re-start her program. The same happened to Tonya Harding in Lillehammer. And Michelle Kwan had problems when the heel of her skate broke off before her SP in 2001 Worlds. Are they all Japanese, or perhaps this kind of problem may occur at random sometimes? ;)

Didn't an American pair skater just have a lace problem at 4CC and a Canadian pair skater offered him his own to save the day?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Didn't an American pair skater just have a lace problem at 4CC and a Canadian pair skater offered him his own to save the day?

Yes. It was the American team of Evora/ Ladwig and it was not a lace problem the blade was off the boot. Mark's boot could not be fixed in the time allowed and Rudi Swiegers the Candian pair skater who had already skated and was sitting in the stands offered Mark his skate, luckily they had the same size boot and Rudi did save the day, otherwise Mark and Amanda would have been disqualified.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Highligts:
Patrick Chan finally living up to expectations
Kozuka rising to the occasion to secure a medal for Japan after Takahashi and Oda failed
A near perfect free skat for Yankowskas & Coughlin
The return of Queen Yuna
Davis & White's win
The Shibutanis' faces when they realized they won

Lowlights:
The fall & loss of medal from Pechalat & Bourzat
Rachael Flatt's injury (I"m not disappointed with her because she tried her best)
Alissa Czisny's fall in the free skate & loss of a medal
Loss of the 3rd Mens slot for the US

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
  • Moscow fans and organisers for making the Worlds happen, and for showing warm support for the original host country
  • The new Russian pair
  • Patrick's short- I could watch this again and again!
  • Takahiko!!
  • The Shibutanis- Love their retro and graceful presence on the ice- And for being the first Asian couple to medal. This is history!
  • The rivary between V/M vs. D/W!
  • Spotting ever charming Irina Slutskaya!
  • Miki's second Gold, and her touching exhibition numbers
  • First glimps of Yu-na's practice- I love comebacks!
  • Carolina's Debussy!
  • Kavaguchi & Smirnov's beautiful exhibition number, and Yuko's beatiful comment afterwords: "I don't want to say keep your chin up to those who are suffering in Japan as I know it can be difficult. So I just want to tell them it's ok to just be, slowly. And I selected this piece with that message in mind."
  • Russia showing off their new powerhouse in the exhibition

Last edited:

Snoopy

Rinkside
HIGHS
Patrick Chan short program (and overall skating)
Japanese medalists!
Carolina Kostner's beautiful LP
Davis & White beating Virture/Moir
The Shubitanis!! (love them)
Florent Amodio's SP (he's so cute)
Yuna Kim's SP (excellent even with small mistake)

LOWS
Japanese men who had problems
Yuko K. and Smirnov's mistakes :(

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Highlight:

Patrick Chan's SP and LP and the win
Davis/White's win
Kozuka's LP
Takahashi's courage
The impressive one month preparation for worlds from Russia

I'm not pretending that I have a nightmare. I don't. Patrick's win has overcome all the disappointments I had for this worlds - V/M's silver, Yu Na's silver, and P/T's bronze.

Other disappointment:

Oda couldn't count

Last edited:

mousepotato

On the Ice
Highlights:
Patrick Chan winning and silencing the haters - until next season
Americans doing so well
S/S winning back the gold
Yu Na's gold - she skated once a year in competition, what did she expect? It could have been worse.
Artur winning bronze - he is only going to get better
Miki
K/S's free skate and exhibition - even with fall the free is an exquisite program.
Shibs

Low:
Oda, Oda, Oda...you are your own worst enemy
Alexander Smirnov's fall - such a fabulous, consistent skater, it was so sad to watch and to be hit in so many areas of the judging - but I loved how he took responsibility for it, he didn't blame his skates or bad ice, he said 'it was all my fault'....classy!
Fabian's fall - and he took her down with him
V/T exhibition - all the more reason to get away from that horrible choreographer. That was an embarrassment after seeing how great they could look.
Universal Sports for showing everything except the gala!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I havent watced all yet but I m pissed off with Ciquanta and hamilon in the daisuke incident. I dont know what exactly funny Ciq did find about it and did the screwdriver (that moment my first reaction was the screwdriver word without the -driver)and probably hamilton follows out of politement to him and his joke so I dont want to be unfair to him, still i didnt like it.

I m super trilled for 3 ladies spots for Russia, Kozu medal, Miki winnin and heartbroken for Mao and Dai and Kanako, I have a tone of videos to see yet but what you write about natalie and fabian sounds like a next heart broke..People who are complainin about Arthur s medal, he may have been overscored but none deserved this bronze medal, they didnt rise to the moment and he did, so kudos to him for his first worlds medallin while havin the load to be in top ten and earn spots.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Hilights:
V/T sp and lp and their silver medals, S/S finally won deservingly, P/T sp and gala, lp-jumps
Dance podium, all beautifully skated, deserving winners. Shitubs K&C, Tessa's podium regarding Shitubs
Patrick Chan 3 quads and two beautiful programs
Takaku lp
Caro lp
Miki sp and exhibition
Catylin and John(? us pair) lp
yuna kim sp lp

nightmairs:
Dai's skate
Oda lost counts
French dancers P/B falls in lp
Mao off the podium
yuna gala

Puchi

On the Ice
Highlights:

That Moscow Worlds happened as planned.

Lowlights:

That the off-season is finally here.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I havent watced all yet but I m pissed off with Ciquanta and hamilon in the daisuke incident. I dont know what exactly funny Ciq did find about it and did the screwdriver (that moment my first reaction was the screwdriver word without the -driver)and probably hamilton follows out of politement to him and his joke so I dont want to be unfair to him, still i didnt like it.

I m super trilled for 3 ladies spots for Russia, Kozu medal, Miki winnin and heartbroken for Mao and Dai and Kanako, I have a tone of videos to see yet but what you write about natalie and fabian sounds like a next heart broke..People who are complainin about Arthur s medal, he may have been overscored but none deserved this bronze medal, they didnt rise to the moment and he did, so kudos to him for his first worlds medallin while havin the load to be in top ten and earn spots.

Thank you for mentioning Cinquanta. I really do think that he should apologize.

Kinga

Medalist
-
Amodio's joke of a free program
This really put me off his skating. He showed poor sportmanship and lack of respect towards competitors and ISU. I have not heard his explanation, but someone here mentioned that Amodio thought he did not have chance for medal. Such a lame excuse, and so untrue as well. Maybe I am to judgmental, but recently he became very arrogant.
But what is even more annoying, is that judges did not penalize his actions. I could not believe that there was no lyrics deduction.. It is beyond me. What were they thinking?? Penalty for Joubert in 2008, and nothing for Amodio for such an obvious rule violation?? If ISU judges do not respect the rules, who is going to??