ABC sports 2003 year in review | Golden Skate

ABC sports 2003 year in review

Did you guys stay tuned after the Trophee Lalique coverage (Go Kevin Van der Perren!) for the Greatest Moments in Sports in 2003?

"And now, here's Jim McKay to tell us why Michelle Kwan is perhaps the finest athlete of her generation." Started off with footage of Jim McKay and Peggy Fleming. It showed most of Michelle's Aranjuez from worlds, with commentary about all the records she has set and is on the verge of setting.

The other greatest moments were: The college football championship, the Indy 500, the Little League World Series, the NBA Championship (Interlude -- Classic Blast from the Past, the 1980 U.S. Hockey team beating Russia in the Olympics), the British Open golf tournament, then Michelle...I turned it off after that, they were only going to show some boring stuff like the Super Bowl.

Did anyone watch till the end? Did Michelle win the "ABC sports athlete of the year award?"

Mathman

PS. In the Trophee Lalique coverage, Terry and Peter were constantly jabbering away about nothing, right when the performers were doing their most interesting elements, when we really needed some expert commentary to call the jumps, etc. Bummer.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I much prefer Peter and Terry to Dick and Peggy... but then again I'm not really for the "let's all just gush about our favorite AMERICAN skaters and compare all of the ladies to the *greatest skater ever* Michelle Kwan"

granted I'm being sarcastic... but I'm so sick of Dick and Peggy I'll take any joe-blow to them....

however Kevin can der Parren's LP is awesome! I love that movie and I LOVE his program! :)

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I flipped on the TV to tape Lalique and stumbled upon the MK segment on the year in review. Pleasant surprise! Tim Duncan (I think that's his first name) of the NBA champ Spurs was athlete of the year.

As to Lalique coverage, Peter bugs, IMO. I appreciate his knowledge, but he's just not smooth enough to comentate, I think. I do have a question though, why did he care that someones (don't remember the skater, but it was some guy - maybe Joubert?) did a triple toe-triple toe on the same spot on the ice that he did a quad toe?? As long as overall the program is even over the area of the ice, why does it matter? Inquiring minds want to know:)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I certainly didn't expect them to have Michelle's world win. I thought the segment was beautifully done and the footage of "Aranjuez" was a bit different....different angles or close ups on a lot of the jumping passes. It really was nicely done. As for Dick and Peggy, I have my moments where I want to hurt them, but they are just doing their jobs. If you can get past some of their cheesisms, etc. they both actually can offer some relevant and rational commentary. And somehow I missed Lalique! I was so mad! Was Van Der Perren as good as Skate Canada?

moyesii

Rinkside
As for Dick and Peggy, I have my moments where I want to hurt them
:laugh: I know what you mean! But none of the commentators are perfect. Susie Wynn is almost perfect though :love: Button is my favorite although he can be grating sometimes, but he is getting a little advanced in years so we should forgive him. He just has so much knowledge!

KVDP was almost perfect. But the program is a little flat to me. I respect the fact that he skates wonderfully within his means, but he's already 21(?) and he has no quad or triple axel. And he did 3 double axels in the program! Talk about milking the CoP..
Peter bugs, IMO. I appreciate his knowledge, but he's just not smooth enough to comentate, I think.
I feel the exact same way! But it looks like he's destined to fill Button's shoes, so I'm trying to condition myself to him. I think he can get better. But I don't think he'll ever have Button's cultural knowledge and skating wisdom to share.
why did he care that {Joubert} did a triple toe-triple toe on the same spot on the ice that he did a quad toe??
I think that Joubert was planning to do a quad toe combination in that spot where he did a triple toe combination instead. If Joubert does 2 quads, I think that the judges would prefer to see the jump repeated in a different location, like maybe the other side of the rink. It probably doesn't show versatility for a skater to do the same setup for a jump in the same spot on the ice.

The ABC Thrill of Victory tribute to MK was really moving. The clip of MK raising her hands as the audience stands up is really breathtaking, and it's probably going to become a classic footage :) I don't mind seeing it over and over :D It was a great surprise to see Terry Gannon comment on MK. Usually he plays the role of casual observer, so it was nice to see that after years of commentating for skating, MK has made an impression on this basketball guy.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
I'm so glad they showed Michelle's Aranjuez from Worlds! It, in my opinion also, is one of the greatest sports moments of all time. I love it, I love it! :D

eliza88

On the Ice
Oh I missed this!!! Lovely to hear that they did a stellar piece on Michelle! I think I'll out on my 2003 Worlds tape tonight and recapture the moment (all 4 minutes of it!)

eliza88

Jhar55

Medalist
Missed it, when the show came on I truned it off not thinking there would be anything about skating on it.

BUMMER! Missed it, too. But thanks, Mathman, for the report. I'm glad to hear they gave Michelle's performance of "Aranjuez" its due as one of the truly great sports moments of 2003. Way to go, Jim McKay! Now THERE is a man who knows there's a helluva a lot more to sports than football, basketball, and baseball. Congratulations Michelle on making the list!
Rgirl