Ladies Retirement | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies Retirement

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Although she only got one 3A ratified this season, it was one of the best she had done in a while, as evidenced by the GOE she got. At first, I thought it may be better for her to take a break from competition but after hearing Mao's own opinion on why she chose to compete, I am unsure because she says she will feel more uneasy if she chose not to compete. Either way, her choice to rework her jumps is a big risk that may or not may not payoff in the end.

That 3A was really good...but 1 of 5 is not...

For me, I understand why she chose to compete: keep at something, eventually, you get better...But I think she's so focused on getting to Soichi that she's not taking time to breathe now. This goes back to what I said on a different post: reputation is everything with the judges. Right now, Mao is at the lower end of getting the benefit of the doubt. Look at her scores from worlds. Aside from the UR (and questionable downgrades) she got, she skated relatively well. I really enjoy Mao's skating, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I think the PCS she got were far too low for the program she turned in. The judges aren't doing her any favors and the more she continues to under-perform, the less the judges will care for her and the worse off she'll be in terms of scoring and placement at events. Politics and favoritism has been a part of skating forever...it ain't right but it's true.

In addition to taking a hit from the judges, every single time she goes out there and has a mistake, it chips away at her confidence which, I think, is her biggest problem right now. Doing so poorly, receiving such low marks, all of the criticism, negativity and second-guessing going on around her...that kinda stuff wears you down. I think it'd be a good idea for her to continue to practice, but step back from the GP for a year. She'd still have two competitions before worlds (nationals and 4CC), but she'd be able to rest and relax a bit until that time.

If Yu-Na continues to compete, all the way to Soichi even, it will be because she's paced herself. People sometimes complain about skaters skipping the GP but, as an "older" skater, preservation has to come first. If Mao wants to make it to Soichi, she's going to need to give her body a rest. She's remained injury free for the most part, and she needs to keep it that way. As far as reworking technique, that's usually a minimum two-year commitment. If she keeps working on those jumps, eventually she'll get better. I still think she'd be better to take time off to work on it, rather than trying to apply to competition when she really hasn't mastered the technique yet. Bottom line is it's going to take time and work.

I really want to see her re-emerge as a competitive force because it breaks my heart to see her struggling so much...

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
If she keeps working on those jumps, eventually she'll get better. I still think she'd be better to take time off to work on it, rather than trying to apply to competition when she really hasn't mastered the technique yet. Bottom line is it's going to take time and work.

Maybe. But doing them in practice is different from doing them in competitions. She may be able to do them in practice but not in competitions. Generally, I think pacing oneself is a good thing for older skaters but I'm not too sure about reworking techniques, mainly because few skaters try to rework their technique in major ways. I think Joannie is the only female skater to pull it off successfully and if I recall, she competed throughout and endured years of lackluster results.
People may disagree but I never felt Mao gets much benefit of doubt from the judges, and a part of it could be due to her inconsistencies. But inconsistencies don't seem to take away from their love for Kostner (whenever she stays on her feet;)).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I saw her at SOI as well, really up close. She looks great. Anyway, as to your comment I was simply replying to someone else's comments. Of course, it will be doubtful that Joannie will return for the next Olympics. It's pointless to debate something none of us know the outcome.

silverpond

On the Ice
Now that the season is over, I think it's time for some off-season speculation. In this thread I want to focus on the future of the currently ISU eligible ladies skaters, who generally tend to have the shortest careers. There have been many "old" skaters from the last quadrennial who have stuck around so far, and it would be interesting just to see how long they continue and what their prospects are.

Joannie Rochette did not compete this season, but she hasn't officially retired yet. She's already 25 years old now so I don't think we'll see her in Sochi, but perhaps one more Worlds. She still hasn't won a World title and I suspect she may still have motivation to go for one. 2013 could be her best chance, as it will be in Canada.

Carolina Kostner is only a year younger than Joannie, and is the only other lady who stood on the podium in the last five Worlds with Mao, Miki and Yuna. She's not the most consistent skater, but the judges have considered her best skates to be medal worthy even against the formidable trio. So close to a World title a couple of times, she my be itching to try again for gold. Next year could be her best chance, as it will be in France. But Sochi is practically out of the question for her, too.

Miki now has two World titles. About a year younger than Carolina, she's one of the three women who have dominated the ladies field in the last five years. I believe she announced she would take a year off, but has not said anything about retirement. She may come back for 2013. But by then she could be up against a very formidable field that year. And I question her motivation because she's already got two World titles. More than enough to be satisfied with in retirement.

Mao Asada, I have very little doubt she'll stick around until Sochi. She said that's her long term goal and I believe her. The only question is whether she might take a break, and just how much we can see her improve in the years to come. I hope she takes it easy and not put too much pressure on herself. One way to do this would be to ignore the 3A for a year and just focus on everything else. Even without that 3A, she's more than good enough to win against anyone. She may need it in Sochi, though, if the Russians girls make it through puberty and explode onto the Senior ranks.

Yuna Kim is a big mystery. I'm not sure why she has continued to compete after her Olympic victory. She's now done two Worlds after her Olympic gold, which is more than any Olympic champ since Katarina Witt. Something tells me she might stick around until Sochi. So if she gets over her post-Olympic letdown and gets her competitive fire back for the long haul, it would be quite something to see her again in Russia.

Your thoughts? Any other "oldie" retiring or sticking around?

IMHO, Joannie's bronze medal win in Vancouver was one of the highlights of the entire competition. This young woman somehow managed to put her emotions in check, after the very sad passing of her mother, and skated two of the finest performances she has ever skated.

She's 25 years old, which isn't ancient at all. Assuming she's in competitive shape, I would expect, and I would certainly hope, she will be representing Canada in Sochi. And it would be GREAT to see Joannie win another Olympic medal. Best of luck to you!!

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I definetely see Mao continue until Sochi.

I hope also Yu Na will continue, but I'm not sure...I think mostly it will depend upon the decision of the 2018 Oly: if Pyeong Chang is successful, I see Yu Na continue (so to keep South Korea's spot, perhaps more a desire of her fed, and promote figure skating there, this last being one of the thing she has repeatedly told she wants to do). If Pyeong Chang lose the bid, I can't really imagine what she will do: I hope she'll stay, because I enjoy her skating a lot, but on the other hand I also think it's possible that she takes a year off and comes back in 2013 or 14 for Sochi.

For Carolina it will be very difficult to go on until sochi, given her age, but perhaps she could find motivation looking for a very good placement at the olympics, since in Torino she was 9th (very good placement, but after the world bronze she was expected by some media and perhaps also her fed to get higher) and Vancouver was kind of a disaster. So, if she find some consistency in the next one or two years I could see her giving a chance at Sochi, also because she hasn't had many injuries throughout her career.

Miki and Joannie are the ones most likely to retire before sochi.
Miki because she already has accomplished a lot, and though I'd love to see her returning in 2012 I'm not so sure...IMO it depends also on what happens with the younger japanese skaters and what the field will be. Sure 2 worlds title (plus the junior worlds gold) and any olympic medal could be a high motivation also for her.

IMHO, Joannie's bronze medal win in Vancouver was one of the highlights of the entire competition. This young woman somehow managed to put her emotions in check, after the very sad passing of her mother, and skated two of the finest performances she has ever skated.

I agree her performances in Vancouver were wonderful (considering her tragedy and all), but I don't think Joannie will return. I think that was her big moment and also if she returns, I don't see her competing for the podium in Sochi (field depth, she'll be 28,...). I was lucky to see her in a show this year and I hope to see her again though, if she comes back I'll just be happy.

The two that I most want to see continue are Mao and YuNa. Both are skating phenomenons: when they're skating (even when they're less than perfect), I can't take my eyes off them. I'd certainly understand, though, if YuNa decided to hang up her skates. The pressure on her must be incredible, year after year, because no other skater in Korea has risen to take her place. As one of you pointed out, she'll probably have to be the one skating in 2013 to ensure two Olympic spots for Korea in Sochi.

I do hope Mao can keep her motivation and confidence up while she's working on her jumps. I hope she's got that rare ability to remake herself that Joannie has displayed. When Mao is in top form, there's no one like her: charismatic, artistically compelling, and technically dazzling all in one. Like YuNa, she's a gift to skating. I want her to hang around for the foreseeable future.

Yes. As someone else has said, I think she will be pressed to go for a second gold to show how Olympic-worthy her nation is. Then I think she will be allowed to preside as queen of the 2018 Olympics. She'll probably be President by then.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kim can be involved in the planning of those Games without competing in them.

How far off is the 2014 Sochi Olympics? We have a GP series coming up soon. Various Nationals to follow and a Worlds 2012 coming in March. The last of the Worlds before the Sochi Olympics is in 2013, No so far away.

We will have time to see the possible retirements by then.

For the Olys we have the new Event of Best Country Team in show. With so many medalists in the 4 disciplines, it seems like Russia should win this easily, and become the first country of Event ever. I'm not sure if retired skaters can participate.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt Rochette will return for Sochi. I saw her perform in SOI and she skated well, but did only 2A and 2S. In a recent interview, she spoke of preparing for the Japan Open on October 1st. She said it would be tough to get the harder jumps in competitive shape and she was working hard towards this goal. If it's hard at 25, think how hard it would be at 27-28.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She seems to be in great shape, but no, I think she knows she has peaked. She could always come back and get another national title, she dosen't seem to have much competition in her home country.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think she's going to come back, but maybe ont because she can't do it, she just seems happier skating professionally. IMO she looked miserable at a lot of competitions (probably nerves except for at the 2010 Olympics when it was for obvious reasons).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think it's all of the above. She seems happy not competing right now. She knows the difficulty of getting back to her former level. She knows it's unlikely she'll get better which is what she'd need to attain her previous hauls (podium at worlds).