CAROLINA KOSTNER Thread | Golden Skate

CAROLINA KOSTNER Thread

christinaskater

Medalist
I wasn't a fan of Carolina for a long time but she has improved immensely through the years and I think she has evolved to become one of the most well-rounded and best female skaters in the world!

jiggs

On the Ice
I've been a Carolina fan for a loooong time, long before she burst on the scene at 2003 Europeans and skated this amazingly difficult, flawless long program. I have watched her develop over the years and lived through all of her ups and downs - her first Worlds medal in 2005, the immense pressure she was under during Turin 2006, her strong comeback in 2007 with her first European Gold (2 more to follow), her silver medal at Worlds 2008... and then her bad melt-downs at Worlds 2009 and Olympics 2010, moving to the US, moving back to Oberstdorf...

It was hard to watch, especially the way she was treated by the Italian press and by a lot of people on the message boards. I think she was one of the skaters who were bashed the most and some of the comments I read were truely painful and disrespectful. It was not easy for her and I never thought she would come back this strong. She seems to have found her inner peace and took her skating to another level this year. And finally, more and more people become aware of her beautiful talent.
She still hasn't performed to her full potential though - I am lucky to have witnessed a lot of her practice sessions and if she could only once show everything she is capable of in competition, she would easily become World Champion. I don't know whether she will ever be able to do that, but I truely hope so. Her abilities are amazing.

I also happen to know her pretty well personally and she is such a nice, genuine person, very down to earth and appreciative. And I think her personality shows in her skating - there is nothing fake about it.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I love Carolina, I wish that one day she would be a World Champion, I also have the same wish for Joannie and Alissa!

How lovely to hear that Carolina is a nice person in real life. I've always found her skating appealing, and I've been sorry she couldn't sort it out in competition. I felt especially bad for her the year the Olympics were on her home ice. But this year is a wonderful vindication for her, and I hope it only leads to more victories for her.

Snoopy

Rinkside
I totally agree, love her skating - she's very graceful and her programs this season were absolutely beautiful.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Count me in as a Caro fan from the beginning-love her skating. When she is on she is always a threat as evidenced by how many medals she has won. Her LP at Worlds was just fabulous!!!

babayaga

On the Ice
I join. She was lovely in both of her programs this season and got a very deserved bronze medal. So glad she didn't retire. The season belonged to her, Alissa, and Miki, and I couldn't be happier for all three!

By the way, did she say anything about her plans for the next season, is she staying?

russell30

Final Flight
Caro is staying, her intentions are for Sochi:) glad she is back with M Huth too :biggrin: I think she will keep one of her 2 programs from this year, lets hope its Debussy LP

PS thats if she is injury free

Layfan

Record Breaker
Caro won me over with her LP at this worlds. I've liked her well enough in the past but I always thought of her as potentially but not quite elegant. Changed my mind after Saturday.

With Mao struggling, Miki probably taking the year off and Yuna's plans up in the air it certainly isn't impossible to envision Caro as world champion next year. But that is a long way off and depends on many things.

For now: Congratulations on a wonderful season, Caro!

jiggs

On the Ice
It certainly depends on how her knee injury will develop. She's been having problems with it for the entire season and has only started practicing flip and lutz again in January. Before Worlds were relocated, she had several doctor appointments scheduled for the beginning of April which she could obviously not attend... I think the next couple of weeks will decide wether she will have surgery or not.

If she keeps one of her programs, I hope it will be Debussy. I'd like to see her skate to something like "The Doors" again in the SP. She was brilliant in that too and she is a skater that can pull such programs off.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm a Caro fan too, I first noticed her in 2005 when she won her first world medal and her 2007 world sp is my absolute favorite program of her! Not only because of her gorgeous jumps, but she skated so relaxed and confident, it was simply magical. I love her programs this year too and I was happy to see her winning a medal again in Moscow.(maybe Russia is a lucky place for her). She has it all and I still hope to see her some day becoming a world champion(why not, Olympic champion in Sochi). That would be inspirational!

npavel

On the Ice
I followed her since the beginning and have always been her big fan. I have liked her and enjoyed on the development of her artistry. I think she is the best skater out there and hope really she can solve the problem with her knee soon. It should be great if she manage to have an injuryfree season next year.
As for the programs, she have always had two new programs every season, so I hope she will have new ones this year too.
This year, there is so much joy when she is on the ice, the contact she get's with the audience and the love to skating she exprimes are impressing. I hope she'll manage to put up programs skated to their potential on the ice in some competition. She has so many beautiful jumps, her Flip at worlds was the biggest one I have ever seen. I watchen her worlds LP over and over again and it's always as magic
Really thank you Carolina, you made it. And now, take care of you

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I'm also a long time fan, I first saw her in 2000 and I have enjoyed her development as a skater from there on. My favourite program is too the sp at worlds 2007 (but I also loved the 2003 version of the Canon). This last year I enjoyed especially seeing her back smiling and enjoying herself on ice, as she was doing earlier in her career, without any pressure with federation, sponsor and media as the past yearsss (I mean from 2006 on I was too critic of her "public image", though I was of course still in love with her skating, that I feared was damaged by the former). And her LP was just amazing at worlds!

I hope she takes care of her knee and solves this problem, coming back next year stronger and happier (and I second npavel thinking that she'll have two new programs) :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Wuz wondering - who did Caro's choreo this season?
I liked her SP and loved her LP.

brightphoton

Medalist
I love Carolina. She's so fast, so tall, so light, so lovely. I feel bad when she falls, but I enjoy her programs nonetheless.