Who should USFS select for Skate America? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who should USFS select for Skate America?

^^^At least the tennis federation never had to have suffered from earthquakes, a tsunami, and nuclear meltdown threats. ISU is a minor victim of these disasters relatively speaking. It is a rough time to get over, and to rebuild from. After all, we managed to have enjoyed a successful World Championships.
And many the posters worried more about the Worlds than Japan. Yes they did. Screaming like it was the ISU for not giving them instant pleasure without any knowledge of the logistics in running a championship in any sport. sacre coeur!

The BigSix can relax. It's the rest of the Feds and their skaters that may or may not make the GPs

Since each of the Seeded Skaters get 3 events which will knock off a peon from the podium, how do they choose the 5 skaters to be in an event or does it matter?

janetfan

Match Penalty
The BigSix can relax. It's the rest of the Feds and their skaters that may or may not make the GPs

Since each of the Seeded Skaters get 3 events which will knock off a peon from the podium, how do they choose the 5 skaters to be in an event or does it matter?

If we consider the big picture it really doesn't matter. Not in the USA anyway. :)

Even sending a skater to Worlds with a broken leg does not make a ripple in the USA.

But just to set the record straight for mathman I looked up the mission statement for the Intl Committee of US Skating.

Contrary to much that has been posted at GS it says the goal of US Skating is "to win as many Intl medals as possible."

It also says a goal of US Skating is "to secure as many berths as possible for TEAM USA."

Yes, it says "Team USA " as opposed to "team Flatt" or any other individual skater/team and it seems hard to deny that US Skating considers the skaters it selects for major ISU competitions as anything less than Team USA.

The Intl committee was surely kept in the dark over the nature of Flatt's injury and Carroll had more than one good reason to complain about their actions.

It is "Team USA" at Intl events and not about "Rachael Flatt" the individual.

Last edited:
But just to set the record straight for mathman and gkelly I looked up the mission statement for the Intl Committee of US Skating.

Contrary to everything that has been posted at GS it says the goal of US Skating is "to win as many Intl medals as possible."

Now hold on just a sec, H.

I note that you did not quote even the whole sentence, nor provide a link so that GS readers can check it out for themselves.

Here is the actual sentence from the mission statement of the USFSA (my bold).

The mission of the International Committee is: to select the U.S. Figure Skating Team that wins the maximum number of international medals and berths possible by strategically providing experience to qualified members of the U.S. Figure Skating Team, and by identifying and supporting the best qualified future prospects.

Ley me say it again. The means by which the International Committee carries out its mandate to win as many medals as possible is to provide experience to team menbers and to identify and support future prospects.

Here is the link, in case people wants to read and interpret the statement for themselves.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?type=leadership&id=846

And now here is the link to the governing Mission Statement of the United States Figure Association as a whole.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=71

I will leave it to the reader to form his or her own impression about what the purpose and priorities of the organization are. ;)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Now hold on just a sec, H.

I note that you did not quote even the whole sentence, nor provide a link so that GS readers can check it out for themselves.

Here is the actual sentence from the mission statement of the USFSA (my bold).

Ley me say it again. The means by which the International Committee carries out its mandate to win as many medals as possible is to provide experience to team menbers and to identify and support future prospects.

Here is the link, in case people wants to read and interpret the statement for themselves.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?type=leadership&id=846

And now here is the link to the governing Mission Statement of the United States Figure Association as a whole.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=71

I will leave it to the reader to form his or her own impression about what the purpose and priorities of the organization are. ;)

It seems you overlooked the goals of the Intl committee, with many posts saying something completely different.

Hold on yourslf, as you have mislead posters here for quite a while by stating what feels like your OWN goals for US Skating.

The official mission statement is nothing like what you have written before.

US Skatings exists for more than loosley supervising a large federation.

The statement is clear and it is about winning medals and berths.

Last edited:
I will let GS members read the mission statement for themselves and decide whose point of view most accurately reflects its content.

To me, it asserts that the way to ensure the biggest haul of medals is to provide promising skaters with developmental support and opportunities for competitive experience.

More generally, this front page "About Us" statement leaves little doubt as to what the overarching purpose and goals of the Association are.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp

janetfan

Match Penalty
I will let GS members read the mission statement for themselves and decide whose point of view most accurately reflects its content.

To me, it asserts that the way to ensure the biggest haul of medals is to provide promising skaters with developmental support and opportunities for competitive experience.

More generally, this front page "About Us" statement leaves little doubt as to what the overarching purpose and goals of the Association are.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp

Sorry, but I am talking about the Intl committee and not the rules for novices, skating adults or anything else.

How clear does it have to be to you when it says "the goal is to win Intl medals and as many berths as possible??

Last edited:
Quoting selectively is a common trick, but at least you should do readers of the forum the courtesy of quoting the whole sentence.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Quoting selectively is a common trick, but at least you should do readers of the forum the courtesy of quoting the whole sentence.

Here you go:

MISSION

"The mission of the International Committee is: to select the U.S. Figure Skating Team that wins the maximum number of international medals and berths possible by strategically providing experience to qualified members of the U.S. Figure Skating Team, and by identifying and supporting the best qualified future prospects."

"The International Committee is also responsible for the approval of criteria used to select athletes to the team envelopes."

"A team envelope consists of athletes (singles, pairs and dance) as having competitive potential to win medals in international, world and Olympic competition."

Last edited:
The members of this forum can read. Either give a link or quote the mission statement in full and without embellishment and let people decide for themselves.

Anyway, back on topic...so, who should USFS select for Skate America with its host picks?

I have not changed my mind. Post #1 on this thread:

Mathman said:
(I) think the USFSA should go with Alissa, Mirai and Agnez.

I prefer this, our strongest lineup, to trying to play games of "strategy." (Just my opinion -- only I meant Agnes.))

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I say Christina. If she doesn't get SA I'm afraid she'll only end up with 1 assignment and I would hate to see that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I say Christina. If she doesn't get SA I'm afraid she'll only end up with 1 assignment and I would hate to see that.

I would be ok if Christina gets selected for SA.

Would that mean that Agnes might only get one GP event?

Last season Agnes beat Christina at Natls and Jr Worlds. If we go by that it seems Agnes deserves two GP events more than Christina.

It seems you overlooked the goals of the Intl committee, with many posts saying something completely different.

Hold on yourslf, as you have mislead posters here for quite a while by stating what feels like your OWN goals for US Skating.

The official mission statement is nothing like what you have written before.

US Skatings exists for more than loosley supervising a large federation.

The statement is clear and it is about winning medals and berths.
I see MM as set in his ways. For me he watches competitive figure skating as an entertainment on his TV set. It doesn't matter that there is safety-in-numbers by allowing American skaters to compete in other venues to have a shot at the final instead of knocking each other off at SA. I believe he glorifies Skate America as the entire GP series. He really doesn't understand what the competition is all about.

Oh the joys of television, we can assume from SA just who will win the non international Nationals.

Anyway, back on topic...so, who should USFS select for Skate America with its host picks?

I have not changed my mind. Post #1 on this thread:

I prefer this, our strongest lineup, to trying to play games of "strategy." (Just my opinion -- only I meant Agnes.))
Who cares who the Americans line their SA venue with? Most fans aren't going to see it LIVE anyway.

What is important for discussion is when we know what the entire lineup of SA, will be, and who will be the Seeded skaters that prevent at least 2 American skaters from making the Final.

Why rush this prediction without knowing the facts?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I see MM as set in his ways. For me he watches competitive figure skating as an entertainment on his TV set. It doesn't matter that there is safety-in-numbers by allowing American skaters to compete in other venues to have a shot at the final instead of knocking each other off at SA. I believe he glorifies Skate America as the entire GP series. He really doesn't understand what the competition is all about.

Oh the joys of television, we can assume from SA just who will win the non international Nationals.

I agree with both you and mathman on this.
There is a strategy than can be used to protect skaters with the goal of getting them to the GPF.

I think mathman understands that. But there is another strategy which could be based more on trying to revitalize skating in the USA.

I don't see anything wrong with being a TV fan and wish there were many more of them so we could see more and better TV coverage of skating in USA.

I remember when SA used to be a more important event and set the table for Natls. When that was working we used to get some coverage of Worlds and better coverage of Olympic skating.

Kanako winning SA last season did not help set the table for Natls and neither did Alissa winning the GPF have much effect.

I watched Worlds on my computer but would have rather watched it on TV sitting in my comfortable armchair ;)

The lack of interest in skating in USA seems to be dwindling and I hope that we see a change for the better soon.

Last season I was hoping Kanako would win SA. This season I hope we have a couple of American skaters I can root for. That would include Jeremy, D/W + Shibs and either/or Alissa and Mirai and either Agnes or Christina.

But as far as getting to the GPF it makes more sense to split up our best skaters/teams.

I have noticed NHK has a strong lineup of Japanese skaters. Even in a country where skating is at an all-time high the Japanese fans want to see their best skaters competing and trying to win their own GP event.

Americans have never viewed skating as a serious sport and to help bring the casual fans back we need one of our Ladies to win SA.

You are well aware that the Men and Pairs take a backseat to the Ladies and since B/A the Dance has become more popular.

Last edited:
^^^^

You are very diplomatic.

Only in America is it so important for Ladies and Dance to be the favorite disciplines. I have been to many international events which show more favorable interest in Mens and Pairs. This is the Sonia Henie legasy with the Media.

The Sport(?) attracts more women than men. The LIVE female fans look for clean programs and take a dim view of Falls. That's what their ovations are all about. Like their other performing arts, they believe Seniors are the best of the figure skaters and pay money to see them. Not unlike Dance performances without sport, but with much opinions.

I reiterate, there is nothing special about Skate America among the six venues except for some fans who are stuck with their patriotic feelings. Some fans want to see the best of figure skating from all competitive skaters at the Finals - their nationalities are of no importance.

Getting into skating personalities is not my take on this thread, and I have no power to list the skaters. I leave that to the powers that be and look forward to the list of non American competitors for SA.

All the qualified American skaters will be at various venues, why single out SA as the most important? I can wait, and not put Czisny and Mirai in jeapordy of one another when both have a shot at the Finals against two Worlds podium placers. From my experiences with the results of the GPs, the cutoff for qualifying for the Finals are minimum silver medals.

There are many reasons for the drop in monies for all countries. The reasons given on this board are quite valid.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would be ok if Christina gets selected for SA.

Would that mean that Agnes might only get one GP event?

Last season Agnes beat Christina at Natls and Jr Worlds. If we go by that it seems Agnes deserves two GP events more than Christina.

Christina has a higher SB than Agnes (by 7 points, but still), but Agnes as you said medaled at Nationals and JW and has already competed on the senior GP, so I think regardless of if she gets SA or not, she will still get 2 assignments. I mean, she got 2 assignments last season after competing internationally once. I hope the same is true of Christina, but where she didn't skate her best at big events like JGPF, Nationals, and JW (no medals), I just worry where the spots are getting slashed. Although she's probably ahead of Ashley in terms of getting 2 assignments. She can definitely get 1 assignment (16th on SB list is really good), but SA would be a nice way to ensure she gets 2.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
silverlake, the new rules actually complicate matters such that I think while Agnes might be more likely to get one, Christina is more likely to get two. Bizarre, isn't it?