Yuna the Enigma | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna the Enigma

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Hmm.. How about if there is something else behind her tears? No woman, no cry. She is a 20yo woman who has been under abnormal pressure from everyone during the last year, with all splits up, rumors, press stalking, etc. Maybe she just got tired, and the always emotional medal ceremony just gave all the stress the way out. I am not a very big fan of Yuna or any other girl, in fact.

janetfan

Match Penalty
She sure did! Poor sport?

I watched and checked at 5:02.

I saw Yuna skate up to Miki with a smile and give her a hug. I saw no frown or bad expression or anything resembling poor sportsmanship.

I guess I need slo-mo replay to catch it :rolleye:

Last edited:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Well, Yuna lost to Mao last year. she didn't cry. she didn't look muttered or disgusted. So, what's big deal? *roll-eyes*

Is it possible that Yuna considers Mao a legitmate rival but not Miki? It's ok to lose to Mao, but frustrating to lose to somebody subpar to her standard? Just guessing.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Right after she turned away from Miki she looked disgusted and muttered something to herself.

Unless we know what she muttered, I don't think we should make ourselves believe that she's that rude.

I watched and checked at 5:02.

I saw Yuna skate up to Miki with a smile and give her a hug. I saw no frown or bad expression or anything resembling poor sportsmanship.

I guess I need slo-mo replay to catch it :rolleye:

I agree. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I just looked like the smile was naturally disappearing from her face and her muttering what might possibly be the last words of congratulations. If you're comparing her smile& hug portion to that of Carolina Kostner's, she might be a little less "happy", but still, I don't think it was in hostility or disgust.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well, Fleur Delacour stole Alexander McQueen's wedding dress design for her wedding in the most recent Harry Potter movie.

Err. Sorry. The costume designer did.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Well, Fleur Delacour stole Alexander McQueen's wedding dress design for her wedding in the most recent Harry Potter movie.

Err. Sorry. The costume designer did.

On the subject of costumes/dresses... the lady-in-red trend for Worlds has been broken :D Mik had a black dress ;D

aftertherain

Record Breaker
On the subject of costumes/dresses... the lady-in-red trend for Worlds has been broken :D Mik had a black dress ;D

Oh my goodness ... you're right! It's quite fitting since the last time a World Champ didn't wear a red costume was Shizuka Arakawa in 2004 with a black dress.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wonder if the lady-in-blue trend will be broken for the next Olympics.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Oh my goodness ... you're right! It's quite fitting since the last time a World Champ didn't wear a red costume was Shizuka Arakawa in 2004 with a black dress.

Wait... so does that mean to break the lady-in-black trend, one must wear black? Or maybe it's going to turn into the lady-in-black trend :O Oh dear, the world of color has been thrown into disarray! How ever shall the skate gods decide the winners now?

Blades, please, don't be so cruel to the skate gods... they're confused enough as it is XD Watch, the next OGM will win wearing neon green or something :p

volk

Final Flight
Unless we know what she muttered, I don't think we should make ourselves believe that she's that rude.

I agree. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I just looked like the smile was naturally disappearing from her face and her muttering what might possibly be the last words of congratulations. If you're comparing her smile& hug portion to that of Carolina Kostner's, she might be a little less "happy", but still, I don't think it was in hostility or disgust.

People normally don't turn away while they congratulate somebody.
I like both Kim and Mao, so I'm not trying to be hater. I just confused by what happened.

Lilith11

On the Ice
People normally don't turn away while they congratulate somebody.
I like both Kim and Mao, so I'm not trying to be hater. I just confused by what happened.

I must clearly be blind... as I didn't even see Yu-na mutter something o_O And I've just watched that part 5 times or so right now lols. She finished hugging Miki and then got onto the podium herself. Normal podium behavior :p

babayaga

On the Ice
Well, Yuna lost to Mao last year. she didn't cry. she didn't look muttered or disgusted. So, what's big deal? *roll-eyes*

This is of course just a speculation on my part, but I think it is reasonable to assume that Yuna was more upset this time than a year ago. Last year she just won the Olympics, she achieved the biggest goal of her life and probably didn't care about the Worlds at that point. That's why I believed when she said she was happy about her silver then. She even said she didn't want to go to Worlds after Olympics if I remember correctly. This year is different. She spent several months preparing only for this one competition and I think she wanted her title back. So I do think she was upset but it is not a big deal.

volk

Final Flight
This is of course just a speculation on my part, but I think it is reasonable to assume that Yuna was more upset this time than a year ago. Last year she just won the Olympics, she achieved the biggest goal of her life and probably didn't care about the Worlds at that point. That's why I believed when she said she was happy about her silver then. She even said she didn't want to go to Worlds after Olympics if I remember correctly. This year is different. She spent several months preparing only for this one competition and I think she wanted her title back. So I do think she was upset but it is not a big deal.

How do we know she even wanted to be here? Originally Kim planned to turn pro after Olympics, but now there's this obligation to her country to keep two spots for the Worlds team each year. She won't probably retire until another Korean comes out of junior to achieve respectable results.

Krislite

Medalist
How do we know she even wanted to be here? Originally Kim planned to turn pro after Olympics, but now there's this obligation to her country to keep two spots for the Worlds team each year. She won't probably retire until another Korean comes out of junior to achieve respectable results.

I doubt the obligation is to secure a certain number of spots, since they don't have a deep field of skaters. I think it's something else.

But what do you mean by "respectable results"? If the Korean federation is waiting for another junior like Yuna back in the 2004-05 and 2005-06 season, they'll be waiting forever.

volk

Final Flight
I doubt the obligation is to secure a certain number of spots, since they don't have a deep field of skaters. I think it's something else.

But what do you mean by "respectable results"? If the Korean federation is waiting for another junior like Yuna back in the 2004-05 and 2005-06 season, they'll be waiting forever.

Top 10, I guess. If Yuna leaves now the difference would be very noticible.

They and the world will be waiting forever! There aren't many skaters of YuNa's quality in any country (on any planet, in any dimension....). And Korea isn't a country like Canada, Japan, or the U.S. with a huge number of good coaches equipped to train skaters in quantity. Even after five or six years of YuNa, there's very little skating infrastructure in Korea. So it's her or nothing for awhile, I fear.

This must put a certain amount of pressure on her even now, with the Olympic and World golds that she has. So sometimes she bends a bit under the pressure. She seems to rebound, though, and I hope she'll continue to enjoy skating (either competitively or professionally, or both) so that we can continue to enjoy her.

Lilith11

On the Ice

Lols I agree. But what's frustrating about the KSU is the fact that there STILL isn't an ice rink just for skaters. Really now KSU? Yu-na can't skate competitively forever y'know...