And you think YOUR Gas/Grocery Prices are high? | Golden Skate

And you think YOUR Gas/Grocery Prices are high?

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh my! How do they make a living? Are they getting any assistance even just to survive? :eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The Native Alaskans get a stippend every month from their tribal corporations (this is a federal government funded hot topic) and most also hold jobs in the local mining or oil drilling type companies... but yeah they're still barely making ends meet. They mainly live off the land and buy the things they absolutely can't get elsewhere/on their own... now that's almost impossible.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Native Alaskans get a stippend every month from their tribal corporations (this is a federal government funded hot topic) and most also hold jobs in the local mining or oil drilling type companies... but yeah they're still barely making ends meet. They mainly live off the land and buy the things they absolutely can't get elsewhere/on their own... now that's almost impossible.

Gosh, my heart goes out to them. If I remember correctly recently, Exxon, or some such big oil compnay, after years of drilling investment with approximately 4 billion dollars of investment, had to pull out from the Anwer drilling. EPA denied the drilling right due to "alleged environmental disruption to the village and villagers 70 miles away from the drilling location!"

It means even less jobs for Alaskans and the promise for continuously high gas price. I'm sure federal subsidies are appreciated by the native Alaskans, but I bet any self-respecting persons would appreciate steady work and paycheck better.

Blue Bead

Medalist
http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-rural-alaskans-brace-for-high-gas-prices-20110503,0,4555297.story

18 dollars for a gallon of milk in some of the larger rural communities in Alaska (thankfully Kenai - my hometown - is not one of THOSE rural communities! Still, the prices have always been insane, but now they're just mindboggling!)

Egad! $18 for a gallon of milk!!! What are they feeding those cows----gold dust?! That's beyond mindboggling. That's insane. Toni, what is a gallon of gas going for in Alaska? (I'm dreading your answer already, lol.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CARA - no one is allowed to Drill in ANWR not because it will disrupt life, but because the Government is super controlling, this is something that will jump us into the politics forum so I'll no go further other than to say that ANWR was closed because it's a "Wildlife Reserve" so it doesn't matter what oil is in there we can't touch it.

Blue - this article has teh current gas prices. Where I am - Soldotna, AK which is on the Kenai Peninsula - the gas is right now 4.48 9/10 a gallon and rises every three days by AT LEAST three cents. In the villages it's close if not over 10 dollars

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
CARA - no one is allowed to Drill in ANWR not because it will disrupt life, but because the Government is super controlling, this is something that will jump us into the politics forum so I'll no go further other than to say that ANWR was closed because it's a "Wildlife Reserve" so it doesn't matter what oil is in there we can't touch it.

:disapp: :disagree::disagree: Environmental tyrany.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
"When the last tree has been cut down, then men will learn they cannot eat money." Indian Proverb.

Like Toni said: that is all I will say to ensure I am not forced into the Political Forum.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we're not chopping down "all the trees", the media makes it sound like we want to dig up 45% of the state (which is how large ANWR is) we want to dig in 1% of that 45%... it's miniscule. considering our glorious leaders in DC would rather go into debt to Brazil to get oil, it makes no sense.

I still say we should be spending that money on refineries here in the US so we can use oil found here to be produced here so that we aren't as dependant on foreign oil. Then while we've still got a little bit of this archaeic fuel we can start work on the alternative energy take over (again looking at making them American, so as not to be so freaking in debt to everyone else.) Problem is our government outsources just as much if not more than Corp. America... so it's never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We are paying the highest price in all of Canada right here in the lower mainland - Vancouver and outer areas for gas - $1.34 to $1.37 per litre. Also our gas prices are now equal to our grocery prices and we have the highest house prices on the market.