Miki's candid take on JSF's interference, emotional struggles & being a foreigner | Golden Skate

Miki's candid take on JSF's interference, emotional struggles & being a foreigner

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Miki's candid take on JSF's interference, emotional struggles & being a foreigner

So the Japanese federation wanted Morozov gone!? They didn't offer support in Tokyo 2007? What's going on in her personal life that makes her cry?! What's it like training as a foreigner in Russia?

I found a translated version (in Japanese) of a Russian interview on twitter. I asked the translator for permission (which was kindly given) from the interviewer to post it here. Some of the questions asked are rather bold, and you can see Miki's vulnerable, at times awkward, but most of all sincere response. I find this so very interesting, and I hope you do too!

Елена ВАЙЦЕХОВСКАЯ's original interview

"Pagu Ken Momo (Pagu Dog Momo)"'s blog with her Japanese translation

*Any Russian posters, you're welcome to help me out, starting with the spelling of her name in English!

So here's my translation of the Japanese translation of the original Russian article :biggrin::biggrin:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Елена ВАЙЦЕХОВСКАЯ is an Olympic Gold Medalist (Diving)-turned- journalist.

Miki Ando, Nikolai Morozov's pupil, has won two international titles in Moscow this season, Cup of Russia earlier in November and World Figure Skating Championships just last week, which incidentally was held in the same arena. Given that she also won Cup of Russia 2 years ago, the obvious good luck Moscow brings cannot be denied.

Is it true that you were contemplating on taking a year off? Are you planning a retirement from the amateur field?

Not anymore. After Vancouver I did think of taking a year off, but I've had a second thought. Nikolai convinced me that such move wouldn't be wise and that not competing at the then-scheduled Tokyo Worlds wouldn't be respectful to the Japanese fans.​

Why did you think of taking a year off in the first place then?

I was simply tired. My life felt like it was all skating and it wasn't refreshing anymore. I thought a break would give me time to relax and provide new motivation.​

This is your 2nd World title. How does it compare to 2007?

This one was more challenging. In 2007 I got injured right before the competition, preventing me from practicing for 2 weeks So the win was totally unexpected. This season, however, I knew I had a good chance of going on the podium. This motivated me to practice. Mentally, though, such hard practices required a tremendous amount of effort on my part.​

You've won everything except the Final in GP Series since last autumn. Were you really just going for a medal, or specifically Gold, at Worlds?

I have to say I don't like thinking too much about medals. It's only whether you can skate your program well that's important. Quality that is. As long as I can show what I can do at competitions, the judges placement isn't such a big deal. The scores aren't that important. The inner satisfaction from having shown your best quality, probably with another context in life contributing, is sometimes much better than winning a medal.​

I sensed awkwardness, something not right, when observing you on the Moscow rink. On the surface you appeared strong and passionate, but you didn't look very happy.

I think skaters usually don't appear happy or don't smile that much in competitions. We're very nervous and concentrating on our performance. I, too, wouldn't smile. This is completely personal, but frankly I'm going through a very tough time now. I was crying every day in Moscow this past week. Some of this might have shown in my performances, which isn't what I wanted it to be like of course.​

Has winning the competition changed any of that at all? in other words, are you going to continue to cry?
I really hope not.​

You won with a free program which wasn't your best. Why do you think?

I was so tired. Of everything. Of practicing and my personal issues. But I pulled off the best I could considering. I'm happy that I didn't make a big mistake, which is vital in a competition like Worlds.​

Were you surprised that Kim Yuna made mistakes?

At the risk of sounding odd, I don't pay attention to how others skate. That's including Kim Yuna. That's irrelevant to my skating. I feel it's not right to judge how others skate. Figure skating inevitably attracts the kind of 'who did worse than whom" and vice versa, but skaters of the World Championship level all have got something that's superior to others. Just as people, countries, languages and tradition vary, we skaters all have got something different.​

You've been training with Morozov in Moscow for quite some time now. You must find living in a foreign country tough.

It is. I like Russia, but I can't speak the language. It's such a challenge to be always surrounded by those who speak a language you don't understand. I've had a similar experience before, when I trained in the states with Nikolai. At the beginning I couldn't speak a word of English. The first thing Nikolai got me to do was study English. It was much later did I realise how right he was about this. Because the more I learned the language, the more friends I made, the more new things I learned, and the more culture I became able to explore.​

Now I'm working on Russian. I'm trying to speak Russian and listen carefully to what people are saying.​

How long have you been working under Morozov?

5 years.​

So you remember the times when Takahashi, and later Oda, trained in the same team. It must have been a relief to have someone you could speak Japanese to.

I know this is very strange, but we talk to each other in English for the most part. I speak English with Takahiko.​

Why?

I don't know really, but it has become that way somehow. The only time I speak Japanese is when I have competitions, shows or stuff to do whilst being in Japan.​

Going back to where we were, are you still planning on having a break?

What I can say with confidence is that I intend to keep skating until Sochi. A break until then, if taken at all, would be one that's not so long, and I'd come back. After Sochi I'll think about what I'll do with my life. I could teach children, work in another field, or skate as a pro.​

Should you make Sochi, it will be your third Olympics. What have the past two been for you? Have they become memorable experience for you?

I haven't got much to say about Torino. Being 19, I didn't really grasp what was going on around me. I simply tried to absorb as much as possible. I felt a great sense of fulfillment and pride to be an Olympian. Vancouver on the other hand was different. I treated it just like other competitions, in that my focus was to do my best. I have to say it didn't feel all that different from other competitions. The result was 5th place. Yeah, I was in 5th.​

With you on the ice and Morozov jumping with that intense look on the rink side, I sometimes don't know which one of you to watch. Do you have room in your head to pay attention to the coach by the board at all during the programs? Can you hear him?

I can say this. It's that I have to know Nikolai is there. If he can't be there for whatever reason, I probably wouldn't be able to skate at all. I try not to look at him when I'm performing, but I know he's there. He's got such stunning energy. I can feel that, and I gain more strength and confidence.​

One more thing. I trust him completely, as a coach and as a person. It's also comforting to hear him say he trust me 100% when I skate.​

Do you take an issue out of the relationship between Japanese Skating Federation (JSF) and Morozov, that could be improved I shall say?
No. It's not my place.​

But I heard that JSF attempted to convince you to change coaches?

Yes. They said Nikolai isn't a suitable coach nor a choreographer and continuing with him would be a big mistake. It came out of blue.​

When was that?

2009, just a bit before LA Worlds. Honestly I didn't know what was going on, as there had been no interest in me from JSF for 2 years up to that point. That's including when I won Tokyo Worlds in 2007 and withdrew from the free skate in Goteborg in 2009. They didn't show any interest. No one came to see me nor did they ask if I needed support. So I have to say I was kind of astonished to see their sudden interest in me in such manner right before LA Worlds.​

Many skaters say Morozov is a rather "unique" coach.
I think you can say that.​

How do you interpret "unique" in this context? Of the things he's taught you, what do you think is the most important?

Nikolai has provided me with a lot of love. For me to love skating, battle, and to understand why I need to skate. It's really hard to explain in words. It's similar to the feeling in me when I started skating. The rink was where my friends came to visit me When my dad died when I was 8, there was a lot on mum's plate. Then he has taught me, through skating, the feeling of happiness. Being beside Nikolai makes me feel happy again.​

Last edited:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
I have a newfound respect for Miki after reading this. Before I always found her to be "dead-faced" for lack of a better term. But now I realize that she is holding back oh so much pain that she has felt in her life.

A very good interview of good questions and answers. Not the run-of-the-mill sort of thing. Good for Miki's openess.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ Yeah, it was very interesting and not the usual type of interview. Thanks for the translation! I wonder why Miki has been so down though. Maybe it's just adjusting to living in Russia.
So she is definitely not taking the year off next year and wants to be in Sochi! Third Olympics... wow.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Lovely interview. Thank you so much, hikki.

I was fortunate enough to be able to watch Miki's exhibition skate in the Gala; she was amazing. She turned me inside out. I shall most certainly be rooting for her in the future.

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ Yeah, it was very interesting and not the usual type of interview. Thanks for the translation! I wonder why Miki has been so down though. Maybe it's just adjusting to living in Russia.
So she is definitely not taking the year off next year and wants to be in Sochi! Third Olympics... wow.

I have no idea why Miki was so upset but is it possible Morozov told her he won't be coaching her anymore?
Based on how highly Miki speaks of Morozov in the interview and how long they have worked together I would think that could be very upsetting.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have no idea why Miki was so upset but is it possible Morozov told her he won't be coaching her anymore?
Based on how highly Miki speaks of Morozov in the interview and how long they have worked together I would think that could be very upsetting.

Unlikely. Morozov is for sure going to boot out some of his non-Russian students (e.g. Fernandez, probably) to make room for Leonova, Kovtun, Voronov, etc., but he has clearly stated that some of his non-Russian students are going stay with him. Of that group, Miki is the most likely student he's going to keep, given their past...circumstances. And also because she is for better or for worse his star pupil. Who else has he coached to multiple world titles?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Unlikely. Morozov is for sure going to boot out some of his non-Russian students (e.g. Fernandez, probably) to make room for Leonova, Kovtun, Voronov, etc., but he has clearly stated that some of his non-Russian students are going stay with him. Of that group, Miki is the most likely student he's going to keep, given their past...circumstances. And also because she is for better or for worse his star pupil. Who else has he coached to multiple world titles?

If Putin starts throwing some real money around (like he did to put on Worlds) and wants Morozov coaching only Russians I'd say Miki's chances are slim and none. ;)

With all of the Russian babies coming up Idoubt that Morozov won't be expected to take on more Russian skaters.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^did Putin paid for his ticket to enter Megastar Arena?

Thank you Hikki for translation, it was a great interview, I m really happy she earned her second gold and be at least a little more happy for her and her country.

Morozov has stated he will keep some of his non Russia students, Amodio for sure.
Interview with Morozov here

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
^did Putin paid for his ticket to enter Megastar Arena?

Sorry, that remark is lost in translation. :)
I was not criticizing Putin and think the Russians did a fantastic job putting on Worlds.

But Putin is clearly interested in skating and the Olympics. It is not smart for any Russian coach to get him angry or they might find themselves teaching ice fishing at Lake Baikal. :eek:

babayaga

On the Ice
If Putin starts throwing some real money around (like he did to put on Worlds) and wants Morozov coaching only Russians I'd say Miki's chances are slim and none. ;)

With all of the Russian babies coming up Idoubt that Morozov won't be expected to take on more Russian skaters.

In a recent interview Piseev said that the Russian Federation will not object if Morozov keeps Amodio and Miki. Russian link: http://mn.ru/sports/20110502/301583985.html
Sorry, couldn't find a complete translation.

janetfan

Match Penalty
In a recent interview Piseev said that the Russian Federation will not object if Morozov keeps Amodio and Miki. Russian link: http://mn.ru/sports/20110502/301583985.html

Well I hope that is the case for Miki since she has been with him for quite a while.

But I did not know that Morozov is the one calling the shots for the Russian federation. :think:

We will see what happens in the next year or two leading into Sochi.

I would feel safe betting Morozov will NOT be coaching a non-Russian contender after this season.

babayaga

On the Ice
Well I hope that is the case for Miki since she has been with him for quite a while.

But I did not know that Morozov is the one calling the shots for the Russian federation. :think:

We will see what happens in the next year or two leading into Sochi.

I would feel safe betting Morozov will NOT be coaching a non-Russian contender after this season.

It is possible that unlike those coaches that live in Russia on a constant basis, Morozov is an independent person. So if they want him to live in Russia and work with Russian skaters they might had to make a deal with him. I agree that it is hard to predict what will happen after this season though.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Geez, this is complicated! I certainly hope it all works out for Miki. I think it will.

I'm sorry to hear that she felt neglected by her own federation. If it's true, this seems very silly of them.

Miki often shines at her gala performances. Her artistic side seems to truly shine through, more than in competition. I have always admired Miki for how hard she worked to improve her non-jump elements. She is still criticized for not having as good spins, spirals, footwork as other skater but I remember her from five years ago and the improvement is dramatic. Her 3-3 didn't come together this season but hopefully it will next year.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Thanks for your kind words re: my translation. Hope there won't be too much lost in translation :biggrin:

I have always admired Miki for how hard she worked to improve her non-jump elements. She is still criticized for not having as good spins, spirals, footwork as other skater but I remember her from five years ago and the improvement is dramatic. Her 3-3 didn't come together this season but hopefully it will next year.

She got LSp4, level 4 spins and SlSt3. She must have worked really hard in the past few seasons as you say. Especially since losing her biellman due to back injury after 2006, it was painful seeing her powerful programs ending with a LSp1 :( I really want her to show off her fab 3/3loops like these in competitions, especially with the new Russian powerhouse joining GPS next season (well just the one)!!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Morozov has stated he will keep some of his non Russia students, Amodio for sure.
Interview with Morozov here

Thanks for the links, seniorita and babayaga. Aside from what you have summarised, were there anything else noteworthy that were said? Did Morozov comment on Miki's jump content next season etc?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Moved my response about Piseev interview to a new thread

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Morozov said something like Miki wont represent Japan but Russia next year, I think it was a joke lost in translation, and he also talked about Voronov who lost this season and believes he will get him in Europeans(two Russian spots there) by next year.