2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

janetfan

Match Penalty
Once upon a time there was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm0Zl4Dzcg0

Our most popular skater(s) going into the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics was a Pairs team. Not Linda F or anybody else.

I think it could happen again but it would require a championship caliber team that had big "it" factor.

I remember watching this Live on TV and believe as far a skating goes it was a pretty big deal in USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvqSoNLoqM

There has never been another USA team that approached Randy and Tai's popularity and it is hard to understand why.

I am sorry to hear about this latest split and did think Yankowskas and Coughlin were a nice team with potential for more.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Is pairs more popular in other countries?

So far no Chinese person I know has a clue who Shen & Zhao are but my sample is very limited.

Pairs does receive a lot more coverage in China compared to what it gets in the US (while that may not make Shen/Zhao household names, it'd still make them vastly better known in China than any US pairs team in the US). But that doesn't really matter. The Chinese federation directly funds and controls the pairs teams it has. Same with Russia. They don't have to worry about expenses and scramble to train between 3 different jobs like US pair skaters do. And because of the state-controlled nature of these partnerships, it's a bit harder for the Russian/Chinese teams to breakup, as they would be pressured to stay together if they're successful.

austrian_waltz

Rinkside
I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."

That being said - I really wasn't expecting this announcement and as a fan of this team (who was REALLY excited for them with all of their successes!) I'm very disappointed, but I can understand why and how it happened. I wish them both much luck and joy in their futures.

Thank you so much for your comment! We need to celebrate John and stop complaining! At 25 and having been through so much, he deserves nothing more than support, gratitude, and respect.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Wow, I am shocked by this, and so disappointed. I was really proud of this pair for coming sixth at Worlds, and thought they had a lot of potential--rare among American pairs. Also, it always seemed like they got along pretty well personally. I don't understand. Yes it was a tough year for John, with losing his mom, but he seemed to be dealing with that well, all things considered, and why on earth would you quit right after winning Nationals? Also he is only 25, which in pairs is not old.

Sigh. No wonder no one takes American pairs skating seriously--how could they with this kind of thing happening. Between this and Denney/Barrett's split, that leaves the cupboard seriously bare for American pairs next year. And definitely does not bode well for our chances in the team event at Sochi.

I really would like to know more about the reasons behind this split.

evangeline

Record Breaker
This is unfortunate. A team that debuted at Worlds with a sixth-place finish (and an American pair no less!) is bound to be very promising.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to all the chatter that John is going to pair up with Caydee Denney?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Someone needs to tell Bryce Davison that we have 2 national champions looking for partners.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is unfortunate. A team that debuted at Worlds with a sixth-place finish (and an American pair no less!) is bound to be very promising.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to all the chatter that John is going to pair up with Caydee Denney?

I can't believe that . . . Why would John leave Caitlin when she is obviously so talented and they're successful together?? I respect Caydee a lot but she is not in the same league with Caitlin in artistry and presentation. Surely that rumor can't be true. On the other hand, something's clearly going on behind the scenes to explain this split.

cornell08

Final Flight
I highly doubt there is truth to the Caydee rumor-- from what Yankowskas said in the article, it seems like they have parted on very good terms. Caydee also has neither technical nor artistic edge over Caitlin. Given these two points, I don't see how John could be leaving her for Caydee Denney. I think John may actually be leaving pairs skating for a job or schooling and just wants to leave on a high note. Any partner would be lucky to have Caitlin as a partner-- she has a truly 'international' (ok, Russian) look and sophistication about her and beautiful lines and she can actually land jumps and throws!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So shocked and sad about this news, but I wish them both all the best.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."

That being said - I really wasn't expecting this announcement and as a fan of this team (who was REALLY excited for them with all of their successes!) I'm very disappointed, but I can understand why and how it happened. I wish them both much luck and joy in their futures.

Agree with this. Still surprised and bummed about the announcement though. If anything, I was expecting an Evora/Ladwig split (or retirement) before this one.

clairecloutier

Final Flight

This is an interesting perspective and I could see how it might be true. However, I'm not sure. If John simply had burnout or wanted to end his career on a high note, why not just say so? That's what Jeff Buttle said when he ended his eligible career; he was plainspoken about it. Instead, we get the "evaluating options" comment in regard to John, which can't help but suggest that one of the "options" he is considering is competing with another partner. I don't think John or Caitlin owe us any further explanation--but as a fan, I can't help but want to know more.

I've read a number of press reports about the split and all have referred to the "surprising" or "baffling" nature of this split given the team's recent success. Interesting that Tatiana Volosozhar, in another interview on this site, commented on how American pairs have improved--and by this, she must mean Y/C's fine showing this season. So, it's just very sad for American pairs fans. Of course I wish John and Caitlin the best. And I do hope sincerely that Caitlin can find a new partner soon who is worthy of her considerable talents.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor. We will find out soon enough. Caydee has been in Col. for over 2 months and she still is partnerless. According to other forum speculation it is a done deal.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor. We will find out soon enough. Caydee has been in Col. for over 2 months and she still is partnerless. According to other forum speculation it is a done deal.

I didn't know that Caydee was in Colorado looking for a new partner. Oh dear. That makes me wonder if this rumor is indeed true. If it is, I will be even more disappointed . . . :-(

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
That is a heinous idea for John to leave Caitlin for Caydee. A) Caitlin is much better in every way and they are so well matched. B) Caydee is so young and she needs a partner much younger than John if she hopes to have a long career.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone needs to tell Bryce Davison that we have 2 national champions looking for partners.

From the last reports I've seen, Bryce Davison's injury is so bad that he hasn't even been allowed to do hardly any on ice training yet. His skating future doesn't seem optimistic at all to me.

pairsfan2

Spectator
From the last reports I've seen, Bryce Davison's injury is so bad that he hasn't even been allowed to do hardly any on ice training yet. His skating future doesn't seem optimistic at all to me.

Actually, I think Bryce is coming along according to schedule. He skated in an ice show at the Hamilton Skating Club a few weeks ago with The Ice Men, a comedic precision team. It’s not elite level skating of course, but I heard he looked pretty good. :)

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
If Bryce does consider partnering with one of the US girls, Caitlin would suit him much better. He is an elegant, graceful partner and Caydee would need a complete overhaul to even consider skating with him.

Also, I have a very strong feeling that this "Colorado Spings partner" that Caydee is about to announce is Drew Meekins.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If Bryce does consider partnering with one of the US girls, Caitlin would suit him much better. He is an elegant, graceful partner and Caydee would need a complete overhaul to even consider skating with him.

Also, I have a very strong feeling that this "Colorado Spings partner" that Caydee is about to announce is Drew Meekins.

But Drew is also very graceful. Didn't Rebecca Bereswill break up with her partner, too? He could skate with Caydee, since she's so young. Or even Taylor Toth.