Great site shows Protocols with Videos | Golden Skate

Great site shows Protocols with Videos

champs

Final Flight
I wish the "original TV broadcaster" of each ISU competition (e.g., NBC for Skate America, CBC for Skate Canada, CCTV for CoC, etc.) will do exactly or similarly to what NHK did on their official site during last year's NHK Trophy, they not only allowed us to watch every competitor's performances with two different cameras but let the Flash-based embedded video player highlight the relevant line of the protocol automatically as the video playback progresses, showing the name of the technical element currently executed together with the base value and the GOE it received. The player allowed the other way round, i.e., when one clicks on a certain element in the protocol, then the embedded player automatically fast-forwarded/rewinded to the relevant portion of the video. I don't think making such a pbp-integrated player is a difficult task for a Flash programmer, it's just slightly boring to enter all the time data for each element of each performance after each event.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just wish he had done the pairs and the dancers as well :) I love having the protocol list up while watching the program!

SkateFiguring - You are a dream. This is a wonderful site to really review the protocols and have a closer look at the actural skate. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the skaters. I wanted to review Gachinsky but he wasn't listed. Michal was fabulous on my second viewing, and noticed from the protocols that one judge just didn't like him (the incompetence of it all :mad:) Two different Quads should get a bonus.

In addition more Solos, Pairs and Ice Dance would be great too if they added them on.

Thanks again, SF :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just took a quick look at Brezina. Seeing his marks for the 4T is not reassuring to me regarding the CoP. He has a bunch of +2's but also two judges marked him with -1.

That is quite a difference of OPINION on TECH and is an example of how much more subjective the CoP is compared to 6.0.

Back in the day Michelle did a nice 2A. LuLu did a nice 2A. As a judge that would not be where I would concentrate on separating them.

In the case of Brezina's 4T if a judge did not think it was that good wouldn't "0" have been OK?

Judges are human but geez this system is so open for manipulation it makes my head spin.

I don't know if I want to watch more of these or not. I guess it will depend if I can take the "shock and awe and horror of it all."

bibi24

Final Flight
The formatting of that site only lists the BEST of the same element, except for tied scores (GOE+bonus).

ie. they'd only list the best 4T, so P-Chiddy's, Kozuka, Javier, Michal, Artur's are all missing on the list.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just took a quick look at Brezina. Seeing his marks for the 4T is not reassuring to me regarding the CoP. He has a bunch of +2's but also two judges marked him with -1.

That is quite a difference of OPINION on TECH and is an example of how much more subjective the CoP is compared to 6.0.

Back in the day Michelle did a nice 2A. LuLu did a nice 2A. As a judge that would not be where I would concentrate on separating them.

In the case of Brezina's 4T if a judge did not think it was that good wouldn't "0" have been OK?

Judges are human but geez this system is so open for manipulation it makes my head spin.

I don't know if I want to watch more of these or not. I guess it will depend if I can take the "shock and awe and horror of it all."

You may say how subjective and manipulated COP is but how do you substantiate the claim that it is more so than 6.0? The comparisons and supporting arguments are missing from your post.

For bibi

Greatest jumps from Worlds 2011

Greatest jump combinations from Worlds 2011

Best sequences

Best spins

I see they list the best jump of each kind, so you are right that way bibi. I was thrown off by the scores and the ranking. That makes it ridiculous that the best single jumps and level 1 elements get on the "Greatest" lists. But I am sure that pleases the No Partial Credit proponents.

I like it that they do not seperate the Men and the Ladies, only by scores.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
You may say how subjective and manipulated COP is but how do you substantiate the claim that it is more so than 6.0? The comparisons and supporting arguments are missing from your post.

My post says exactly why I find CoP more subjective but of course the PURE subjectiveness of the GOE is not the end of the story.

Thanks for the link. It is interesting and useful. I will look at more and feel sure it will be educational.

gkelly

Record Breaker

Yes, that is a wide range of opinion. It is subjective and subject to error. But I don't see how it's more subjective than 6.0.

In 6.0, some judges might think, for example, "Two different quads really sets him apart. So what about the falls at the end" and put him ahead of several skaters with no falls and no quads. Other judges might think "Two falls is a really messy program and need to be penalized. I'm not that impressed by the quads. Kind of tilted in the air, a tiny stutter on the landing . . . I wonder if they were even fully rotated." and put him behind those skaters. Would ordinals from, say 3rd to 10th reassure you about the objectivity of 6.0? We just accepted that it was necessarily subjective, and that's why there were 9 judges on the panel.

So if they both did nice 2A, they could both get +1 for it. Or +2 if it was really nice -- I think Kwan sometimes deserved that especially earlier in her career.

But what about Lipinski's 2A? I could easily see different judges giving both positive and negative GOE for the same jump: good speed in and out, but no "step up" and not much lift off the ice. Depends what each judge values more. And in 6.0, they could have been thinking of her 2A as a plus or a minus in terms of the overall score (relative to everyone else who also landed a clean 2A).

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, that is a wide range of opinion. It is subjective and subject to error. But I don't see how it's more subjective than 6.0.

In 6.0, some judges might think, for example, "Two different quads really sets him apart. So what about the falls at the end" and put him ahead of several skaters with no falls and no quads. Other judges might think "Two falls is a really messy program and need to be penalized. I'm not that impressed by the quads. Kind of tilted in the air, a tiny stutter on the landing . . . I wonder if they were even fully rotated." and put him behind those skaters. Would ordinals from, say 3rd to 10th reassure you about the objectivity of 6.0? We just accepted that it was necessarily subjective, and that's why there were 9 judges on the panel.

So if they both did nice 2A, they could both get +1 for it. Or +2 if it was really nice -- I think Kwan sometimes deserved that especially earlier in her career.

But what about Lipinski's 2A? I could easily see different judges giving both positive and negative GOE for the same jump: good speed in and out, but no "step up" and not much lift off the ice. Depends what each judge values more. And in 6.0, they could have been thinking of her 2A as a plus or a minus in terms of the overall score (relative to everyone else who also landed a clean 2A).

It is hard to disagree with your logic.
Let's get back to "judges are human"

I don't see how it is possible for humans to ACCURATELY process so much information (yea, it feels "nitpicky") in a couple of minutes.

Now if the judges and Tech panel took even 15 minutes to studiously review each performance I would find CoP more believeable.

To be honest I think they are going on a first impression and even the angle from where the judges are sitting could be the cause of a totally wrong mark.

If a system wants to measure on a more accurate, even scientific basis then what they do now feels like the opposite of that.

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm shocked that Mao Asada received a << on her 3A in her FS. There is no way that it was that underrotated. :confused:

Krislite

Medalist
I am shocked that the beauty of Mao's skating (check her PCS) was not considered as good as Alena.

I watched in "shock and awe and HORROR" at the way Alissa's spins were judged.

"The new system is every bit as inaccurate and political as the former system."

Skating is perhaps the "ultimate sport" for non-thinking and non-sporting NERDS.

I remain convinced most of you are clueless and believe CoP results as being equal to the "Ten Commandments."

Perhaps it is a matter of belief.

I choose to believe what I can see with my own eyes.

Rachael Flatt is NOT a better skater than Mirai in a system that "SUPPOSEDLY" judges every aspect of their skating fairly.

Many thanks to Toller Cranston for setting the record straight.
"Shock and awe and horror" is as close to a perfect description of watching CoP judging as I can imagine.

Considering the judging controversies over every major competition including this Worlds, I think it's misleading to say "most" think of CoP judging as the "ten commandments". Just try and gather a consensus on the results of any major competition. I doubt you can. (The only one who seems to vehemently defend most CoP results in these boards is wallylutz, which makes sense since he is an ISU judge.)

As for Alena vs. Mao's PCS, that's Russian politics for you, which I don't think can be avoided under any judging system. ;)

Hernando is correct. The GoEs are purely subjective despite the 'how to' score them guidance. The 6.0 also had the same schooling for judges, and finally the suspected cheating came to light. No one is saying outrightyet that there is cheating going on in the CoP. Give it time.

Michal is from a nonBigSix Federation and Hernando's example is a good one. A clean quad doesn't even get a O score. Probably because he didn't look difiant enough and raise his fist upon completion of the jump. The boys have different styles, or didn't some judges know that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Joe, you keep insisting on COP being a total subjective crap. I started a thread showing videos of jumps with their marks in ascending orders. The same thread drift happened into the same arguements as in just about every thread. But I didn't see anybody argue about the jumps' marks not reflecting their qualities in the order they are rated, i.e. the COP scores awarded/received are appropriate in relation to other jumps in the same competition. Isn't that what matters as far as scoring individual elements are concerned?