Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating | Golden Skate

Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating

janetfan

Match Penalty

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko is already a legend, having won his first world medal (a bronze) at the age of 15. He has won 8 Russian Championships, 6 European Championships, 4 Grand Prix Final Championships, 3 World Championships, one Olympic Championship and two Olympic silver medals.

I don't know why he feels he needs to do any more. I'm afraid the most he will achieve at Sochi is completing his Olympic medal set with a bronze.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't blame him for wanting to skate in $ochi. If by any chance he won another Olympic medal it would be amazing and surely extra special for him coming on home ice.

I agree he is already a legend but since he can't be like Dick Button he can set his own record. Has any skater ever won medals at four differnt Olympic games?

I'm afraid the most he will achieve at Sochi is completing his Olympic medal set with a bronze.

I thinkl he might be cool with that. Joining Gillis Grafstrom as the only two men to medal in four Olympics.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't know why he feels he needs to do any more. I'm afraid the most he will achieve at Sochi is completing his Olympic medal set with a bronze.

This alone is worth of trying, don't you think?

He is a legend! I hope he could come back and make men's skating more exciting.:yes:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It would be really ironic if he managed to win the gold in Sochi...without a quad.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He is the wild card of the GP series. Unseeded, he could skate anywhere he darn pleases.

eta. He is doing it seriously this time, preparing his programs and ready to compete for 3 seasons before Sochi. I think he was lucky to win the Olympic silver in Vancouver. Barring any injury or health issues, I expect to see the real Plush in his glory at Sochi. :clap:

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm not much of a Plushenko fan, but I do want him to do very well during his comeback, simply for the fact that I want someone to start pushing up the age barrier in skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure we will see him in the GP except perhaps as a host pick. He has never wanted to do more than one GP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Not sure we will see him in the GP except perhaps as a host pick. He has never wanted to do more than one GP.

He needs to do two if he wants to go to the GPF. He seems serious enough to turn down shows to focus on preparation of his programs. There would be no such "rush" if he were to only do his nationals and Euro before Worlds 2012.

I think he realizes the importance of non jump components now and the likelihood that judges would not be as generous about undeserved PCS in the future. He's already expressed that it's time for him to take something from other skaters, unlike during his career up till now.

I think he feels challenged now and will join the top skaters with fully loaded programs required for today's podium.

A serious Plushenko with an updated attitude can be very exciting for the sport. Talk about star power!

Last edited:
It's too early to see him in the GPs. Having been beaten by Lysacek, he is determined to win the Sochi Olys. I do think he will try one comp out before 2014. Maybe Russian Nats? Maybe Russian GP to make his final decision. He knows it's not a best jumping comp. I don't think he wants to risk it. He must be certain first that he will win. We'll know more in late 2012 or early 2013.

As to Legendary status, that is a media adjective.

seniorita

Record Breaker
ha, what do you know, the weekend Plusy decided to be a legend my house floaded because the upstairs neigboor forgot to close Le robinet:scowl:
maybe that means good luck:)

janetfan

Match Penalty
ha, what do you know, the weekend Plusy decided to be a legend my house floaded because the upstairs neigboor forgot to close Le robinet:scowl:
maybe that means good luck:)

If that is your idea of good luck then I would hate to hear what you consider bad luck ;)

If Plushy wants to change his luck all he has to do is get a haircut. :yes:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Your not a legend medaling at three Olympics? That's certainly a major accomplishment and extremely impressive! He has won so many things and is very popular with large loyal fan base. If it is his career goal to medal at 4 olympics and that will make him indisputably great than that is interesting.

Everything I have read on his returning seems to indicate an imediate return to competition. Maybe that is part of the deal. He could skip 2011-2012 then return 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, Cup of Russia 2011 is the last event of the GP season in late November which could allow more time to prepare. Then he could skip GP 2012 but any shot at the 2014 Olympics has to be tested at 2013 worlds in my view. No shot without 2013 worlds.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
He already is a legend, I think, even though he's not my favourite.

I think he could get silver at the Sochi Olympics. But he won't beat Chan, if Chan stays like he is. We don't know who else is going to improve radically over the next three years, either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
He already is a legend, I think, even though he's not my favourite.

I think he could get silver at the Sochi Olympics. But he won't beat Chan, if Chan stays like he is. We don't know who else is going to improve radically over the next three years, either.

I think the potential is there for Brezina and Gachinsky to improve alot in the next three years. The Japanese having a rising star as well.