Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating

gmyers

Record Breaker
He has talked about competing in Russia so much and nearly every time he talks that unless something seriously injurious happens I don't see him not attempting it. He absolutely must do something next season as part of him getting eligibitly back. He can't renege because if he reneges probably no more eligibility ever again! So I bet he does do 2014 nationals no matter what as well as doing something next season. COR probably. The competition will probably have to be ISU and not just Russian nationals.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Kozuka skates like he did in the Worlds LP he will blow Plushenko of even Vancouver vintage away in the LP phase anyway, never mind that Plushenko is pretty much certain to only be alot worse by then. Heck the level of skating by the top 6 or 7 guys was really high at Worlds, if a few of them clean up on the mistakes nearly all of them will be unbeatable for Plushenko at this point in his career (he was already well past his prime in Vancouver). Gashinski only has to improve a bit and he will be better than Plushenko at this point would be capable of being, making it even less likely for Plushenko to return, he probably wouldnt even be Russian #1 anymore.

And Chan would have to do more than falter for Plushenko to challenge him at this point. He would have to sit on the ice for half the program then take a big dump in front of the judges.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He could return and not qualify like Sasha Cohen. Short programs I think he would be competitive in even in 2014.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
But if Plushenko have won gold in 2002 probably your favorites had better medals in 2006 and 2010, but unsatisfied Plushenko will be very hungry again and unstoppable :biggrin:

I agree that Plushenko will be hungry in 2014, because he had won the gold in 2010 if he and his team had payed a liiittle bit attention towards CoP. Just very little was needed for his 2010 win. But will the situation be like that in 2014 anymore? Yeah, although his mind will be hungry, his body will be 4 years older. Will that body be able to obey his mind and what more injuries he might be getting during the years before the 2014 Olympics? Of course injuries are a risk for every skater, but besides that Plushenko will also be a lot older than most of his competitors.

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
Jaana is right, Plushenko can do anything if his body resists. Will his body resist? We don´t know, that´s what everybody, Plushenko himself too, wants to find out. He can fail and prove it´s impossible for a figure skater to compete successfully after a certain age or he can provide a surprise.
Plushenko loves to compete, he will be delighted to compete next season against strong skaters like Chan, Kozuka, Gachinshi, etc.

Last edited:

wmsb

Rinkside
because he had won the gold in 2010 if he and his team had payed a liiittle bit more attention towards CoP. Just very little was needed for his 2010 win.

it's more than 1 year ago......but is it possible that he was UNABLE to do it? unable to add 2 after 43, unable to put more jumps in the 2nd half of the program. it's a possibility instead of a judgement -- he just could not afford it.

ciocio

On the Ice
it's more than 1 year ago......but is it possible that he was UNABLE to do it? unable to add 2 after 43, unable to put more jumps in the 2nd half of the program. it's a possibility instead of a judgement -- he just could not afford it.

Plushenko wasn´t prepared for the Olympics, the break was too long and he was really out of shape when he decided to come back. He skates much better now than he was before 2009-2010 season. The question is if his age and injuries will allow him to keep improving.:think:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
And Chan would have to do more than falter for Plushenko to challenge him at this point. He would have to sit on the ice for half the program then take a big dump in front of the judges.
yeap, that also for the rest of the field,minus kozuka and dai. Should they all stay home?

Stojko way past his prime also beat Plushenko at the 2000 Worlds arguably already in his prime. Anyway it is all a moot point.

honestl, I could have beaten Plushenko the way he skated at Worlds 2000 :laugh:

ciocio

On the Ice
Sorry for offtopic but what happened to Elvis after 2000? He skated quite well at 2000 Worlds, then next year he placed 10th, it was because of an injury or simply because of his age?

gmyers

Record Breaker
There had been legitimate hope for this comeback. Stojko, who turns 29 tomorrow, was healthier than he has been since the lead-up to the 1998 Olympics. He finished second in his qualifying group on Monday, a skate that counted 20% of the final standings.
"Everything is there," said Stojko, before skating last night. "I'm a little tick slow. Over the years I've done quads time and time again and people have taken that for granted. So if I did a clean performance here, it's like, 'Oh, he's back, no big deal, he can do it.' I can build on this."
Then, he headed out for a short program and lost his way again.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2001-03-21/sports/18172110_1_elvis-stojko-ice-chips-elvis-lives

I think it was just a flop?

let`s talk

Match Penalty
What I don't get is if the guy is so bad and surely will fail in Sochi, what's the point of all these multi-pages talks of his "admirers" if they will have nothing to lose to him?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Kozuka skates like he did in the Worlds LP he will blow Plushenko of even Vancouver vintage away in the LP phase anyway, never mind that Plushenko is pretty much certain to only be alot worse by then. Heck the level of skating by the top 6 or 7 guys was really high at Worlds, if a few of them clean up on the mistakes nearly all of them will be unbeatable for Plushenko at this point in his career (he was already well past his prime in Vancouver). Gashinski only has to improve a bit and he will be better than Plushenko at this point would be capable of being, making it even less likely for Plushenko to return, he probably wouldnt even be Russian #1 anymore.

Once again, I think Plushenko knows that he could not beat Chan. Still there is a good reason for him to come back. If Plushenko were at 2011 Worlds and skated like how he had skated at 2010 Olympics, he'd get silver, Kozuka would have gotten bronze, and Gachinski would have gotten 4th.

Plushenko is consistent. This is the greatest asset for him. Unlike Lysacek who has only triples in his pocket, Plushenko has quad and consistency. In the field of inconsistent competitors (Chan is not in this inconsistency category any more.), Plushenko is a real threat to any of these top competitors.

Granted, Plushenko is getting older and the road to him is getting tougher while Gachinski is going up. But I have no doubt that Plushenko is still competitive. Unless one day, his knees failed him (wish they will not!!!!!!), he'll continue like Energizer bunny. Plushenko has the spirit of Yagudin who once said at his tearing speech before his farewell performance in 2003, "You have to kill me to stop me skating." That's how a legend thinks.:yes:

I'm sure if Chan did that, he'd be in the 24th place.

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice
Their records are very close indeed :agree:

Stojko:
- 3-time world champ
- first to land 4/2, 4/3
- 2-time olympic medalist
- 4-time olympian

Plushy:
- 3-time world champ
- first to land 4/3/2, 4/3/3
- 3-time olympic medalist
- 3-time olympian

Plushy invited Stojko to 'Kings on Ice', so he respects Stojko.

you forgot to say, Plushenko Olympic champion, that is big diffrence:)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Plushenko has dominated skating world for many years. Stojko has never dominated any. That was a huge difference too.

wmsb

Rinkside
Yes, the quality of the medals means more than quantity.

quality is subjective, just as "artistic", unless there is any standard for them. i am pretty sure in figure skating history book (if there is any), it won't say Stojko won 2 high quality Olympic medals and the totol value is 15.8; while plushy won 3 low quality ones and the total value 13.52.

for plushy's dominance, if i were ptf, i would say......he could dominate because there is no real competition:laugh: (and the quality of dominance is more important:biggrin:)

bestskate8

On the Ice
I agree that Plushenko will be hungry in 2014, because he had won the gold in 2010 if he and his team had payed a liiittle bit attention towards CoP. Just very little was needed for his 2010 win.

This propaganda might work well in North American media, but not in the rest of the world, because real problem was the judging, especially in SP.
You are right very little needed-fair judging. This is only reason Plushenko got so many fans now after 2010.IMHO

But will the situation be like that in 2014 anymore? Yeah, although his mind will be hungry, his body will be 4 years older. Will that body be able to obey his mind and what more injuries he might be getting during the years before the 2014 Olympics? Of course injuries are a risk for every skater, but besides that Plushenko will also be a lot older than most of his competitors

Talking about Plushenko, anything is possible:)

Age difference with main medal contenders will be the same as at Vancouver, except Gachinsky , who didn’t compete.

And no one knows how judges will judge and who will skate his best.

gmyers

Record Breaker
^Energizer bunny????Loool:laugh:

quote from your article i cracked up:
You can tell the two Russians, Plushenko and Yagudin, because they can both jump and move their arms gracefully at the same time.

old articles ARE fun:biggrin:

They are!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wow. I actually thought Plushenko would've been much further ahead of Stoijko. Realistically, the only difference is the Olympic Gold (which is a huge difference).

Ooh, we get to talk about 2010 judging again? Joy. That should be fun!