Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko wants to become a legend of figure skating

bestskate8

On the Ice
Plushy is already a legend, by far the most popular skater on Chinese skating forums. But he need to be really careful otherwise he will also be known as being a legend of whining.

Saw him amidst the crowd at WC2011 Moscow, he appears to have clapped for no one except young Artur (mini plushy), super arrogant as usual. While there are those who love his attitude, but I was so happy when young Patrick thrashed his record right in front of him. Patrick proved himself there and did Canada proud.

he couldn't thrash Plushenko record, because last year after Olympics, point system for quads, spins, fw was changed again.:p

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
he couldn't thrash Plushenko record, because last year after Olympics, point system for quads, spins, fw was changed again.:p

After the Olympics, an entire element, which happened to be Chan's specialty, was taken out of the SP. The public is not into such nitty gritty. But it's good for the sport to have records to smash, something people understand. Big numbers too. In that sense, CoP beat 6.0 for the sport's publicity.

seniorita

Record Breaker
SkateFiguring you certainly dont need my approval, it is just a discussion here.
he lost to Sandu in gpf 2004 because of zayak, not SA by the way. That was when CoP was first introduced to gp. Ok he did an Oda then before Oda.:p
I agree he didnt fully adapt to CoP and judges made sure to give him record scores(he had the top 7 scores out of 10 up until 2006), so why bother?
As for the rest he is not the first to comeback last minute, and I can name skaters who came back only for one competion as worlds or olys and did not participate in 3(not 2) a gp, Euros and Nationals before Olys. So i dont know why Eveni is such a surprise of a late comeback that took it superficially, some were more late.
Saw him amidst the crowd at WC2011 Moscow, he appears to have clapped for no one except young Artur (mini plushy), super arrogant as usual.

Oh mum, I could have been in Matlock tv series.:cool: I was sure I have seen vids were he stood up for Kozu and Amodio And clapped Oda and Dai but I also found this. Do you reconize this music?? i think it was not Arturs. Records are made to be broken and be clapped.;)

I only searched cause why you would bother watch Plushenko (and write about it) at worlds over this crowd the whole 4 days to see who he claps or not? Unless you were the man behind him.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree he didnt fully adapt to CoP and judges made sure to give him record scores(he had the top 7 scores out of 10 up until 2006), so why bother?

Because the judges are adapting to CoP. I think Plushenko is aware of this.

As for the rest he is not the first to comeback last minute, and I can name skaters who came back only for one competion as worlds or olys and did not participate in 3(not 2) a gp, Euros and Nationals before Olys. So i dont know why Eveni is such a surprise of a late comeback that took it superficially, some were more late.

It's all their free choices, nothing wrong in itself. It's a matter of if it worked out for them. At the Olympics, it didn't work out for any of them as far as their goals were concerned. Plushenko did the best with a Silver but that was not that what he came for. However, that Silver has today become an impetus for a 4th Olympics, the goal being to be a four times Olympics medalist, which he couldn't be without the 2010 Silver.

This year, the Olympic gold medalists in Ladies and Ice Dance both debuted at Worlds and won Silver. It will have to do.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko has talked about transitions but I don't know what he means. At the Olympics his transitions were not the obvious ones. Instead of spinning and doing step sequences after five jumps will he be like nearly everyone else in skating and do five jumps starting at the halfway point. Gachinski also coached by Mishin was the only person in the top 10 not to do five jumps after the halfway point. It worked out for him as he made the podium but that is not a strategy that holds up as was demonstrated by what happened at the Olympics to Plushenko. Because of mistakes at Russian nationals he HAD to do a 3A after the halfway point and he did it fine.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh mum, I could have been in Matlock tv series.:cool: I was sure I have seen vids were he stood up for Kozu and Amodio and clapped Oda but I also found this. Do you reconize this music?? i think it was not Arturs. Records are made to be broken and be clapped.;)

I only searched cause why you would bother watch Plushenko (and write about it) at worlds over this crowd the whole 4 days to see who he claps or not? Unless you were the man behind him.:biggrin:

Ahhaha...*embarrased* - well obviously my attention was preoccupied when Patrick finished his incredible performance!! :p Good for Plushy!!

Speaking of Putin, he was indeed the great highlight of the trip. Sitting within 50 ft listening him speaking Russian while being mesmerised like an idiot fan girl, but he is just so cool!! Am afraid I am well star strucked out on Mr. Moscow.

the thread is getting wacky. Some people think Plush is a legend in China, therefore he is a legend. No one has explained what they constitute as legend, and no one has said that Plushenko conforms to that meaning. how many legends can we have? Are they all those that one has seen since 1980? :think:

Yes, Plushenko is a legend. He has the jumps in the recent era, and that is the only reason a legend can be a legend - jumps are what makes skaters great . Kwan is out of it. :sheesh:

tobynwinnie

Rinkside
Most of us agree that Plushenko is a legend. Whether you are a fan or not, you cannot argue with his results on the world stage as a 15yo to the present. He also has that special something (like Michelle Kwan) where you can't take your eyes off him. But given his age and injury prone body, will he be able to improve his skating skills enough to do his big money jumps while doing enough transitions, intricate footwork and high level spins? Even in Russia, will he get the big scores without a COP program? By Sochi, the Russians will have enough contenders in the other disciplines to not be so desperate for a Plushenko return. Stoping, posing, making funny faces at judges and hip grinding in between jumps are not transitions and hopefully will not get such high score this time around. Patrick Chan's performance in Moscow hopefully showed fans what high level skating skills are and what is needed to win.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Ahhaha...*embarrased* - well obviously my attention was preoccupied when Patrick finished his incredible performance!! :p Good for Plushy!!
yeap his biG eGo clapped or S.O pretty much all skaters in last Group.

Joe I dont think anyone said Plu is a legend per se,like it is the Queen of England title and none else is. Or that he became one because of his jumps. But he certainly is a part of fs in the late 90s and 2000s era, his rivaly with yagudin attracted many new fans in fs, and he has being dominant through out his carreer as a gold contender in a sport that to stay on top is too difficult, and his name is a litle more known in sport circles outside strictly fs fandom than say..Kvdp.
he is not popular only in China, I would say he is even more in Japan and more or less anywere he appears, as legend as Lambiel is, Yag, Kwan etc..I think Evgeni if you read all the interview means he wants to break a record of 4 Olympic medals and that would be legendary in fs, somethin that happened almost 100 years before.
i think we mean legend in a sport someone who stayed on top as an athlete and attracted audiences, and casual audiences not just fs fans. Not someone wo was the best at spins or jumps or musicality. From the current crop the one who reminds me of Plusenko story is Chan even if I m not his best fan,he has the same star powder as athlete, the will to be the best.

Is Sumaher a legend, Amstrong in cyclin, Louganis in divin, Comaneci and Miller in gymnastics, Agassi and Navratilova in tennis and so on, how did they qualified for the title?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Plushy is good for skating and his colorful remarks although occassionaly a bit controversial definitely bring some personality to skating.

There is really no one like him and I would not be willing to bet much that he won't be competing in Sochi.

Here in this funny post Olympic interview he talks about Mao kissing him, and that he will be in Sochi, if not skating then coaching or doing anything to help skating. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMZ-qRe_kU&playnext=1&list=PLC9370ABC894624F9

But he also said he would finish the season by skating at Worlds and that Mao should have won in Vancouver because of triple axel jumps. :unsure:

Gotta love Plushy and don't doubt for a second that Putin does not want Plushy skating for Russia in 2014. Who can blame him?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko could do more intricate step sequences. He could get to a level three and 1 or 2 in GOE but not +3 or a level 4. With ChoreoStep I bet he will get +3. His sit spin actually improved from 2006 to 2010. He got much lower. I just watched 2006 FS and he did improve in the spin area. Lots of his spins were level 4 all that season.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
By definition, being a legend should be a legacy, like being a (beatified) saint. It is a reputation passed down in awe for so long that history doesn't matter any more but the icon stands for a definite image.

People don't have patience and long term perspective any more these days, so now we have living saints and living legends because people can't wait to bestow the honour. I think being a legend should still be a legacy, if not after a person's life, then long enough after the career.

When it's said Plushenko is a skating legend, I think it means he will be a legend but people believe it so strongly they just call him that already.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^The Saint Plushenko?:p

Here in this funny post Olympic interview he talks about Mao kissing him, and that he will be in Sochi, if not skating then coaching or doing anything to help skating. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMZ-qRe_kU&playnext=1&list=PLC9370ABC894624F9

Lol, thanx for this link, i ve never seen the whole interview before, only the kiss part.
Now I m really exited in the prospect to see Plu as Cheburaska in Sochi:laugh:, it would be funny and im more thrilled for this option than a heartbroke competition again.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
By definition, being a legend should be a legacy, like being a (beatified) saint. It is a reputation passed down in awe for so long that history doesn't matter any more but the icon stands for a definite image.

People don't have patience and long term perspective any more these days, so now we have living saints and living legends because people can't wait to bestow the honour. I think being a legend should still be a legacy, if not after a person's life, then long enough after the career.

When it's said Plushenko is a skating legend, I think it means he will be a legend but people believe it so strongly they just call him that already.

Or people are making a prediction that Plushenko will continue to be a hugely influential icon in figure skating with various achievements that are hard to top/yardsticks for competitors to follow. It's a pretty safe bet.

As seniorita observed, it's not like we're talking about Kevin VDP here, or some skater who just popped up on the scene. We're talking about a skater with over a decade of dominating the sport, and we have many accounts of how he influenced skaters, coaches, fans, judges and the rules themselves.

It may be premature to call Plushenko something like The Most Influential Skater Who Ever Lived or something like that, but calling him legendary is pretty conservative.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
...calling him a legend is pretty conservative.

It's not about being conservative or not in assessing his influence or achievements. It's about what a legend is. As of now we can say he is a future legend, as when a young one among us will say to his/her great grand child, "Pfft, you think your hero the new world champion is great? With 4 different quads in a program and breaking 1000 points in your new cockeyed scoring system? In my days, The Great Plushenko did 2 quintuples and 3 quads within the first minute and danced like Rudolf Nureyev on skates! What? You don't know who Nureyev was?! ..........."

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL he couldnt even beat Lysacek in Vancouver at 27 and he thinks he can compete with Chan, the up coming Japanese, and the rest at 31 on a more beat up body. Hilarious. If he does make it to Sochi I predict an 11th place finish. And to beat Chan he would need to skate better than he did in Vancouver and have Chan fall 11 times.

That said he is of course already a legend. He is best to stay retired rather than returning as a has been and chip away at that legend. He was already a shadow of his old self in Vancouver despite nearly winning, but Sochi would be far worse.

Last edited: