Virtue & Moir article | Golden Skate

Virtue & Moir article

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Interesting. I, too, hope that they continue to skate competitively as long as they could.

There's one point that raised my eyebrow :unsure:: "Canadian ice dance pair Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have always had a close relationship with their closest rivals — Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

And there appears to be no rift — even after those darn Yanks stole the world championship gold medal last week." (exerpt from the article. Emphasis mine.)

I am guessing that the writer is a Canadian and his partisanship slipped up with that "little verb" there.

I usually consider V/M to be superior to D/W, but I believe that D/W won their gold medals fair and square at 2011 worlds.

Doubtless many posters disagree with my opinion. However, I just have to state my opinion in that I found the word "stole" offensive.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's clearly a joke, CARA. The article then goes on to say that D/W deserved the gold medal and why they deserved it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
“It’s going well, now that we let them have one,” Moir said with a laugh

It's not in a world wide publication however; the jokes are expected to be funny to a Canadian audience, not an American one. And I can't say I had a big belly laugh from being told that D&W "stole" the medal either, despite knowing that the writer thought he was being amusing.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's clearly a joke, CARA. The article then goes on to say that D/W deserved the gold medal and why they deserved it.

On second reading, I must agree with you. It's sometimes hard to shake off your patriotic ferver, though. :biggrin:
Go USA! :party2:

npa

Match Penalty
It's not in a world wide publication however; the jokes are expected to be funny to a Canadian audience, not an American one. And I can't say I had a big belly laugh from being told that D&W "stole" the medal either, despite knowing that the writer thought he was being amusing.

O, Doris, Moir really try to said something bad about USA. Especially because he spend most time in USA.
A lot of things depend from did you have sense of humor or no.
Why didyou read article with V-M interviews - look, like its hard to you. Dont read and all be OK.

Ravensque

On the Ice
That's Scott's style.......tongue in cheek fllippancy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think he tries to maintain a lighter side in most of his interviews. He reminds me of Kurt Browning in that way.

npa

Match Penalty
That's Scott's style.......tongue in cheek fllippancy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think he tries to maintain a lighter side in most of his interviews. He reminds me of Kurt Browning in that way.

Scott always try to joke in every interview. And he said this, because all ask them - how you could be a close friends with your rivals.

KKonas

Medalist

Well, not always. I've been on several of V&M's teleconferences. I don't think he really likes being asked continually about their rivalry with D&W. But he and Charlie are friends off the ice.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Interesting. I, too, hope that they continue to skate competitively as long as they could.

There's one point that raised my eyebrow :unsure:: "Canadian ice dance pair Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir have always had a close relationship with their closest rivals — Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

And there appears to be no rift — even after those darn Yanks stole the world championship gold medal last week." (exerpt from the article. Emphasis mine.)

I am guessing that the writer is a Canadian and his partisanship slipped up with that "little verb" there.

I usually consider V/M to be superior to D/W, but I believe that D/W won their gold medals fair and square at 2011 worlds.

Doubtless many posters disagree with my opinion. However, I just have to state my opinion in that I found the word "stole" offensive.

I don't know if I can recall such close Dance rivals being so friendly and respectful of each other.
If you recall the medal ceremony in Vancouver it is obvious how friendly these teams are.

I think the article was fine and saw nothing wrong with the language.
Next season if V/M compete and take their title back we will no doubt here similar phrasing from an American journalist..

I am still shocked by comments on a different thread that called Tessa "fat."
Not that this should matter but I find Tessa to be one of the prettiest skaters I can ever remember.

Maybe that is just my taste but I get worried at times seeing how thin some of the skaters are.
The Japanese skater from the Russian Pairs team looks dangeroulsy thin to me and Mao looks like she needs to eat a dozen pancakes loaded with Vermont (only the best for Mao ;)) maple syrup .

Hopefully both of them are healthy and just naturally thin.
As to Tessa, IMHO she could star in a remake of the 1956 Vadim film "And God Created Woman." :love:

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
But he and Charlie are friends off the ice.

Yes, indeed. And the fact that they can maintain a strong friendship, while training together in close quarters and competing against one another, speaks highly of both Scott and Charlie.

npa

Match Penalty
Tessa look thin and small girl off-ice. She didnt look fat at all. I want to look at that people, who post this - how thin they are.
Yes, at TEB before OG she was too thin. But o dont think this was normal. And look, like now she start off-ice training. She didnt made this during 3 years....

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:Well anyway, it was the reporter, not Scott , who used the word stole and given that both guys are hockey fans , they'd be very used to hearing how one team "snuck one by" another , or " wiped the floor " with another , etc.,etc.... ( and being friends as they are ) I doubt that Charlie would be very upset by a bit of sportspeak.

callalily

On the Ice
I don't know if I can recall such close Dance rivals being so friendly and respectful of each other.
If you recall the medal ceremony in Vancouver it is obvious how friendly these teams are.

I think the article was fine and saw nothing wrong with the language.

ITA! Kudos to both V/M and D/W.

Also, I think it's a compliment to Marina and Igor and the environment they create in Canton.

Look like Americans never post something like that in USA press.
Indeed! :laugh: Americans never post anything about Figure Skating in the US press, unless at the Olympics. :eek: maybe Hirsch does a little in Chicago, but he also points out faults in American skaters. I appreciate that, but most fans, imo, get up tight about his writings.

Gushing only on Forums, please. :rolleye:

KKonas

Medalist
Indeed! :laugh: Americans never post anything about Figure Skating in the US press, unless at the Olympics. :eek: maybe Hirsch does a little in Chicago, but he also points out faults in American skaters. I appreciate that, but most fans, imo, get up tight about his writings.

Gushing only on Forums, please. :rolleye:

Hirsh calls a spade a spade as he sees it. Doesn't always mean he's right. But he really does enjoy the sport or he wouldn't have continued to cover it for 30 years. His occasional tirades in the press room are wondrous to behold.

KKonas

Medalist
Hirsh calls a spade a spade as he sees it. Doesn't always mean he's right. But he really does enjoy the sport or he wouldn't have continued to cover it for 30 years. His occasional tirades in the press room are wondrous to behold.

Oops misspelled his name - Hersh. Sorry Phil.