I need to know this in one week? | Golden Skate

I need to know this in one week?

chibi.kyra

Spectator
Hiya :)
So I'm a noob, and I hope you guys don't mind me posting this noobish question :3. So, I started skating 2 years ago, basically learning how to move, and didn't start again until this year when I really got into it. The local rink is closed for the season, so I moved to a different one with a wider choice of programs.
This session is almost over (it's the basic learn to skate program) and I must choose a more advanced program; either the Basic345 or the Basic678. My instructor told me that i am right in the middle. I took a Basic4 test today and passed, and I passed the Basic5 moves too EXCEPT for backward crossovers, which I have not even started yet.

So here's the issue - the Director thinks that I would outgrow the Basic345 class really quickly and that it would not be worth my time. It is one day per week and a lot less expensive compared to the Basic678 program which is twice a week. She told me that if I could learn backward crossovers by the end of next class, she could put me in the more advanced program. I will probably be able to have a couple hours of practice skating time this sunday( different rink ), and when I have the lesson on wednesday, the Director would pull me aside from my group lesson for about 20 minutes or so and try to teach me backward crossovers... Do you think that I could pull it off? I learned forward crossovers on the 1st day and was quite good at them on the second and third day, in other words I guess I learned those really quickly. On the other hand, I always end up on my toepicks while doing backwards pumps, so I'm not sure what to do now. I also don't want to over push myself.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading my blabbering :biggrin:
~~Kyra

Last edited:

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
As a coach I tend to push my skaters up to the next level if they progress quickly and are only missing one element. That said it really comes down to the skater. I'd say that if time and money aren't an issue to try and learn the backwards crossovers and move up, I find it's always easier to improve faster when you're challenged and at the level that's slightly above when you are to have something to work towards. I believe that being in the middle is the perfect place to be to continue improving. I can't say if you can learn backwards cross cuts in such a short time as I haven't seen you skate, there doesn't seem to be much relation to the learning of forwards and backwards crosscuts as the difference in direction makes a big difference, especially when learning. Try to focus on bending your knees backwards as that will help to get you off your toe picks. You'll also want to shift your weight ever so slightly backwards, just behind the ball of the foot.

Overall it comes down to how far you want to push yourself. Look at the skills that are required at the higher level and decide if you feel comfortable working on them. Also if the director thinks you can handle the more advanced session you probably can, so then it's just a question to time and money. Hope that helps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Agree with SB on this one - if you think you can learn it enough and are comfortable with the list of items to learn in 6-7-8, go for it.

sarahspins

Rinkside
Agree with SB on this one - if you think you can learn it enough and are comfortable with the list of items to learn in 6-7-8, go for it.

I agree.. and at this level they're not looking for "great" back crossovers, more that you understand how to do them and can complete the motions... crossovers are something that you continue to work on and evolve as you move up in skills, so I think you would be fine moving up a level even if you don't feel like you're doing them well enough.

chibi.kyra

Spectator
Thanks, guys! so basically as long as i can put one foot over the other while moving backwards, I should be okay? And also, there's a chance I can skate for a couple hours on sunday (without instruction)... so should I take the opportunity and try to do them on my own? I have an instruction book and I've watched several videos, but I also know that it's not the best idea to try new things on my own? Because next class I'll probably only have about 10 or 15 minutes or so to work on them...

mskater93

Record Breaker
so should I take the opportunity and try to do them on my own? I have an instruction book and I've watched several videos, but I also know that it's not the best idea to try new things on my own?

I would wait because self-teaching can lead to life-long bad habits.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
You're probably fine with attempting them on your own. You're not going to ingrain bad technique in a couple of hours. It's not a bad idea to get used to crossing the foot over while moving backwards as it's awkward at first. Just bend your knees and face into the circle.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, you sound like you are a quick learner. With something as basic as crossovers, backwards and forwards, it just takes practice to perfect them. It sounds to me like you are leaning too far forward if you end up on your toe picks. Watch some of the ice dancers warm up and notice how they use their knees. You will soon be on your way!

chibi.kyra

Spectator
Okay, so I wasn't able to have practice time today :C do you still think that i could get the concept down? I guess I'll just see, and price is also an issue. It is more expensive than we thought it would be- 600 dollars for 2 days per week with a 25 minute group lesson, 25 minute off ice lesson (choreography), 40 minute practice time and a 20 minute private for 8 weeks, and i would probably have to skip 2 weeks since my family always goes away. The other option is to just take a 20 minute private one day per week and practice a few times per week, and it would be soo much cheaper.
thanks guys :)

backspin

On the Ice
Given your options, I'd go for the private lessons for sure. You'll get a lot more out of them.

chibi.kyra

Spectator
well... once again, things have changed. I will take that program after all :) i'm going to have a dual membership at both rinks since one is 5 minutes away but not as high-leveled as the other. theres a lot of pros and cons with both places ( loyalty, time price etc). So the program does have privates, off-ice and group lessons in it, so it has some of everything :) i will take privates and group lessons in the fall ( both rinks). The director at the closer rink is very flexible with time and she has given my mom a huge break with money ( free lessons the first year, and we didn't have to pay for the choreographer this year) but , in my opinion she is not the greatest teacher. The other place is not flexible and they are pricey but they teach very well.
anyways, back to crossovers and such :) I guess I also have to learn hockey stops and my 1-foot spins could use some improvement. I usually get about 3 revolutions, but i always lose my balance.
Thanks muchly!! :D