Ilinykh & Katsalapov switch coaches | Golden Skate

Ilinykh & Katsalapov switch coaches

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ilinykh & Katsalapov switch coaches. New coach - Morozov.
I'll post more once I see more.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone saw their placing at worlds as acceptable.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I read this coaching change at FSUniverse site, though I thought it wasn't finalized, yet.

I think the coaching change is a good idea. I am just not sure if Morozov would be the best coach for them. :scowl:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but at his point it seems a fait accompli. It seems like their only other option was Linichuk & Karponosov, and that wouldn't be better than anything else. I'm not sure why Platov wasn't considered.
Zhulin apparently made some remarks recently about the lack of appropriate work ethic on the part of I&K. After that, the rift seems a foregone conclusion.
I can't say I'm too happy about the choice of new coach. I don't recall - does Morozov have any high profile assistants (such as Volkov who's working with Zhulin)?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Can we please all take a moment to boggle at how Ice Dancing is currently Russia's weakest discipline in the sport and will probably remain that way up through 2014? :eek:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Can we please all take a moment to boggle at how Ice Dancing is currently Russia's weakest discipline in the sport and will probably remain that way up through 2014? :eek:

It is pretty interesting if you think about it. I bet 20 years ago if you said in 2011 the Worlds Podium would be from North America (and the same coach in the US to boot), folks would laugh at you. Same about 2010 Vancouver placements.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ptichka:

I've also heard that Bobrova/Soloviev are looking around a new coach. Do you think you can confirm/disconfirm this rumor? Regrettably, I can't read Russian. :bow:

Eris

On the Ice
I've also heard that Bobrova/Soloviev are looking around a new coach. Do you think you can confirm/disconfirm this rumor? Regrettably, I can't read Russian. :bow:

Bobrova is saying that they have the best team ever and don't want to change anything.

But you never know, I/K used to say that Zhulin was perfect for them...

gmyers

Record Breaker
I/K need a coach who looks at COP to get levels and GOE. I/K even if they reached a high level did not get the high GOE of 2 or 3 required to do well. Plus you had Zhulin not really caring about how they did.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek::disapp: I can't say how appalling I think this is...:biggrin: Serious Business , I know what you mean... Seniorita , your worries are my worries ... Joesitz , this is the man that gave the Reeds The Addams Family...

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I really like this Team!!! Does Morozov coach other talented Ice Dancers?
Not currently, but he did, of course, coach Bourne & Kraatz when they became World champions.
He also has ice dancing background himself, and "served his apprenticeship" with Tarasova, for whom ice dancing is the primary specialty.

herios

Medalist
Not currently, but he did, of course, coach Bourne & Kraatz when they became World champions.
He also has ice dancing background himself, and "served his apprenticeship" with Tarasova, for whom ice dancing is the primary specialty.

Ditto, I concur with that, he brought Shae and Vic to the top. He is definitely capable, HOWEVER, back then, he focused only on ice dance and he wasn't all over the place. Quantity doesn't equal quality.
Also, I am not sure why some people think that Zhulin didn't care how they did? Perhaps success came way to easy for them initially and they didn't work as hard as they should have.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Also, I am not sure why some people think that Zhulin didn't care how they did? Perhaps success came way to easy for them initially and they didn't work as hard as they should have.
There was a fairly shocking interview Zhulin gave a couple of weeks ago. (Sorry, I don't have the link or the exact translation). In it, he was talking about how I&K's work ethic wasn't up to par. He then said that he wanted his students to read the interview and draw appropriate conclusions from it (that they should work more, that is).
The thing is, if you value that teacher-student relationship, you do not go talking like that to the media. You sit down and you tell your students what you think; may be you even yell. But you keep it "in the family".
Frankly, after that interview I'd have been extremely surprised if they'd stayed.
At the same time, I am sad to see this relationship desolve; I think they made for a strong trio.