Mirai Nagasu | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

kalle

On the Ice
Does anyone have any news about Mirai?Will she skate at any shows or has she started working on new programs for the next season?What would you like to see her skate to and what about her technical content, do you think she will try the put back the 3Z/3T or add a 3S?

I still think her LP program from 4CC was amazing and so happy to see her take her time on each element,nothing rushed. Her jumps also looked bigger than in the beginning of the season and I love it when they cover a lot of ice as Yunas/Agnes and some of Mikis..

4CC LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRxiDmuV0U

I have not been a big fan of her previous EX programs but this one was a cracker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gyENGaMvKQ&feature=related

Please do not turn this thread into a "what if Mirai had been at Worlds"..That is in the past and I am more curious about what comes next :p

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i would just like to see her in shape and taking her skating seriously. She talks about being the best but i'm not sure she can handle the pressure if she does become the skater to beat. AT 4CC there was no pressure to win so she skated free and as you said took her time. She looked like a world champion. Now she needs to skate like that when the pressure is on and if she does she will leave the other american girls in the dust regardless of their jumps.

Last edited:
That girl is just magical. She has everything it takes to become the Yu Na Kim or Patrick Chan of America, if only she can step up and claim her place at the top. The problem is, taking that position requires so much lonely self-sacrifice and concentration. I wish she had a mentor, a few years older, like Venus or Serena or Steffi Graf, or Shawn White - someone who could help her own her talent and the struggle, but also the glory, that goes with it. Especially someone like the Williams sisters who insist on their right to a personal life as well as the titles. If that's possible in skating.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The problem is, taking that position requires so much lonely self-sacrifice and concentration.
I don´t think one should see it as "self-sacrifice", better to see it as self-discipline and concentration combined with hard work towards a goal. Maybe a mentor would be good, but in my opinion a skater has to have it in herself to become a champion. And in this point, if Mirai really wants to become something, there is very little possibility for personal life. Everything is like work, work and more work.... I´d imagine that she has seen Evan working towards his goal!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mirai certainly has the talent and the "it factor"to be a serious contender for gold in 2014. The next 2 seasons will be important for her to get a handle on the
pressure associated with competing as an elite skater, if that is what she wants. I love Mira's skating and wish her the best. Her LP at 4CC was wonderful!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
According to this article, Nagasu visited the University of Delaware last month with Frank Carroll and utilized the high-tech. motion capture technology there: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/may/high-tech-skating-051211.html
On April 4, Gonzales and Carroll, a former competitive skater himself and coach of 2010 Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek, spent the day at UD’s Gold Ice Arena, along with 17-year-old skater Mirai Nagasu; Mitch Moyer, senior director of athlete high performance at USFS; and Peter Zapalo, sports sciences and medicine manager at USFS.

“What’s different about this technology is that it lets us look at the ‘what-ifs,’” said Moyer. “We can see on the computer screen what will happen if the skater does x or y.”
But now it was Nagasu’s turn to go through the process.

“Don’t be afraid to trust that it’s OK to spin faster,” Richards told her as she prepared to go out on the ice for a series of triple axels. Soon, data on Nagasu’s jumps appeared on the screen, and the group was back to figuring out what changes would make a difference.

Eris

On the Ice
Oh, I hope this technology can somehow help Mirai to rotate the jumps more consistently :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's good that Carrol is trying new way, finding what works and seeking all there is to help Mirai his student. I hope he has stopped what didn't work.

janetfan

Match Penalty
According to this article, Nagasu visited the University of Delaware last month with Frank Carroll and utilized the high-tech. motion capture technology there: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/may/high-tech-skating-051211.html

Thanks for the link Sylvia. The article also mentioned Rippon and wonder if this will help him with his 3A and the 4 lz he has been reported to be working on.

Wonder how long it will be before figure skating judges can utilize similar technolgy?

If nothing else technology like this could offer skaters more consistent calls as opposed to strict vs lenient tech callers they have to deal with now.

Krislite

Medalist

janetfan

Match Penalty
I shall await the arrival of the new Miss Triple Axel Nagasu next season. :biggrin:

I hear Agnes Zawadzki is practicing the 3Axel as well. Next season could be exciting for the US ladies (finally).

IF she can do it consistently in practice you will see it. If not Frank won't allow it. Mirai has practiced the 3A since she was 13 or 14 but seems like she has never gotten it good enough for competition. Few ladies ever do but it does not surprise me if Carroll is trying to add it to her repertoire.

They all know Adelina and the Russian babies are coming. :cool:

kalle

On the Ice
She is scheduled to participate at Sun Valley show on July, 2nd (https://seats.sunvalley.com/online/default.asp) and at Mao's show "The ICE" in the end of July (the poster)

Regarding the programs, AFAIK she went to Canada to Lori in April.

Good to hear. Cannot wait to see her perform again and I hope the fact that she is already working on new programs will help her to be "ready" for next season..
I would like her to skate her short to something like MK's 97 SP music (I do not remember the name but I loved that music, fantastic tension to it) and her LP to a Dvorak piece..Just a dream though :p

I guess, they might look for something with a little bit more of temper to it..I am not sure she likes classical music :laugh:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not a big fan of the triple axel. Maybe i'm spoiled because after watching Ito do them everyone else's seems to pale in comparison. That said if Mirai can land them in competition she will have thrown the gauntlet down not just to the american ladies but to the world.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm not a big fan of the triple axel. Maybe i'm spoiled because after watching Ito do them everyone else's seems to pale in comparison. That said if Mirai can land them in competition she will have thrown the gauntlet down not just to the american ladies but to the world.

I saw youtube vids from a couple years ago of Mirai's working on 3A and it will be a beauty once she gets a handle on the last little bit of rotation.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I saw youtube vids from a couple years ago of Mirai's working on 3A and it will be a beauty once she gets a handle on the last little bit of rotation.

I serioulsy doubt that Frank and Mirai flew all the way to Delaware to have her 3A analyzed by this new computer software just because it sounded like fun or they were bored.

That doesn't mean Mirai will ever have a good competition 3A but it certainly seems she is working on it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I serioulsy doubt that Frank and Mirai flew all the way to Delaware to have her 3A analyzed by this new computer software just because it sounded like fun or they were bored.

That doesn't mean Mirai will ever have a good competition 3A but it certainly seems she is working on it.

I have always thought Mirai has the power and speed for a good 3A, 3:3s and beyond, she just need some zen master/wizard/yoda like discipline. As for her tendency to cause infuriation and exasperation - Frank's hair can't get any whiter, so he is clearly perfect!!

mskater93

Record Breaker

I did mention it was short rotation if you read between the lines of my comments. That being said, at the time the vids were taken, it had a great take off, very good height and position. I think they went to DE to figure out how to clean it up and this analysis software is supposedly even better than Dartfish.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have always thought Mirai has the power and speed for a good 3A, 3:3s and beyond, she just need some zen master/wizard/yoda like discipline. As for her tendency to cause infuriation and exasperation - Frank's hair can't get any whiter, so he is clearly perfect!

Mirai seems to be a happy girl. That to me is the most important part, more than other people's expectation. She has the talent and if she finds motivation she can excel. Kids start and keep skating because they love it. And then they start competing and expectations and pressure become part of their lives. Some have the drive and love the challenge but others may lose their joy, much like many people who turn their beloved hobby into a business.

Mirai will compete well when she trully wants to and has the right support. Either she's content with where she's at or she's not. She doesn't seem too distressed. People dicide for themselves to be exasperated or not. Mybe Mirai is inspired by a very wealthy friend of mine who used to say, "Don't get heart attack. Give heart attacks." She amuses me. But to continue far, cute is not enough.

So is Mirai the cause of Frank Carrol's white hair? :think: Let's compare a pre-Mirai and a current photo of the grumpy old coach. How long has she been with him now? :)