What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in ice dance? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in ice dance?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
The Shibutani's will medal at all their GP events and GPF and possibly win US nationals and worlds.

I'm pretty sure they won't WIN US Nats or Worlds. Although I did say they wouldn't medal at Worlds last year, and then they got bronze, but I really think I'm right this time. They're not beating D&W or V&M.

Binthere

On the Ice
gmyers is pretty inflammatory when it comes to this team.

ya' think so? :laugh:

One always expects, while treading through the boards to come across the a pretty full range of opinions, agendas, and personalities. That is the nature of a forum.

Looking back at dozens of contributions to this board which essentially constituted of "they are so eww" , to this latest "personna" which has them winning everything, would ordinarily seem confusing. Ironically, in this case, the diagnosis is sadly pretty hard to miss.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
From Russian skating....

Bobrova/Soloviev
SD
Ummm.... Okay, the acoustics were atrocious, so I couldn't get the feel of it, but I suspect I have no idea what a rhumba actually is, because if that's close, than I am WAY off. Over on FSU, they're ripping her to shreds for her posture, and I definitely see issues there. Rather disappointing since I really really liked their FD last season and I was always annoyed that they were behind Khoklova/Novitski. Oh, and that move he does after the no touching circular footwork (which I can tell, I'm gonna loathe this element) is absolutely hilarious.

FD
Better. I really don't like programs that have two short lifts in succession like that, but the position she hits is interesting. Opening lift by far the best move. Though I wouldn't describe this program as "light, airy, flirtacious" but I'm not familiar with the music. Acoustics better too, so I'm not really willing to write the SD off.

Riazanova/Tkachenko
SD
Apparently, it's just a copy of DomShabs 05/06 OD. It suited DomShabs more (music wise). Odd costumes. Contortionist curve lift.

FD
An opening salvo in what I hope will be a successful season. What a free dance this is. Those straight line lifts are to die for. The reverse rotational one needs work, but I suspect it'll be a refined bit of amazement by Worlds. And the whole thing is exquisitely emotional. Man I hope they don't get dumped this season.

Gorshkova/Butikov were there as well, but they were a bit of a mess.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
As Pogue says, you couldn't really tell exactly what B/S's SD music was but I know I found it unappealing :disapp: I'm also a bit disappointed in their FD, she, at least should be lighter and airier,and the whole thing should have a feeling of sensual abandon ( in a playful way ). I've always said you don't need to stick to the story of the music , but in this case , it's not a big story , just a scene of pagan frolic, a Bacchanal ( what's not to like ;) ) I know I posted this somewhere before Pogue , but this will give you the feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvezKgSIJiM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL6A6D4003B868398D

So, while there's some very nice stuff in this FD and I'm not saying it can't be a good FD, it's not what it could have been ... I'm just not feeling the love, if I can put it that way. ( sigh )...and now I'd like to see Riazanova skate to it...:laugh: We'll have to see how it shapes up.

So pleased with R/T's FD for this year as compared to last ( go,you two ) . I don't see how they can be written off with this material. I ,too , am in the camp that says fix the Samba part, change the costume ( which is really a classic ballroom Rhumba dress, but too much for the ice ) and you'd really have something. And I do agree about that lift..too contorted.( small quibble , I guess )

ETA; Walpurgis Night is B/S's FD , not SD.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I guess I haven't put the opinions of mine in the same post together. Shibutani's smiler program was totally creey with their plaster smiles BUT there tech ability is overwhelming and undeniable. There is no doubt that with their abilities to get level 4's in almost everything with no problems they could win everything this season and even the Olympics if it were this season.

herios

Medalist
My problem is that neither do I!

Doris

There are two pieces of music in Bobrova - Soloviev's SD, the first one, the samba with that strong percution I don't know but the second one the rhumba is "Cuando Pienso En Ti" for sure.

This piece I see listed in the programs for 2011-12 thread also for Cannuscio - Lorello in Jose Feliciano's well knownn interpretion:

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbHZrk32Qc

Bobrova - Soloviev's version is sang by a woman, and if I am not mistaken is the same interpretation which was used by Fusar - Poli and Margaglio in 1999-2000, for their second cut in the latin OD, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66wJ5mfRtY

PS. This last program, F-P /M's OD from a decade ago was fresh in memory, as I watched it again a few months ago, because I wanted to see what V/M will do with "Mujer latina" in comparison with the italians, who used it also for their 3rd piece in this OD.

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
Doris

There are two pieces of music in Bobrova - Soloviev's SD, the first one, the samba with that strong percution I don't know but the second one the rhumba is "Cuando Pienso En Ti" for sure.

This piece I see listed in the programs for 2011-12 thread also for Cannuscio - Lorello in Jose Feliciano's well knownn interpretion:

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kbHZrk32Qc

Bobrova - Soloviev's version is sang by a woman, and if I am not mistaken is the same interpretation which was used by Fusar - Poli and Margaglio in 1999-2000, for their second cut in the latin OD, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y66wJ5mfRtY

PS. This last program, F-P /M's OD from a decade ago was fresh in memory, as I watched it again a few months ago, because I wanted to see what V/M will do with "Mujer latina" in comparison with the italians, who used it also for their 3rd piece in this OD.

If I'm not mistaken the song was re-titled as "Eres todo en mi" and the singer was Anna Gabriel for that version.I think it was in that movie with Chayanne and Vanessa Williams,Dance with me?
The final part I'm almost certain it's Chicadee -"Oh la la"

herios

Medalist
If I'm not mistaken the song was re-titled as "Eres todo en mi" and the singer was Anna Gabriel for that version.I think it was in that movie with Chayanne and Vanessa Williams,Dance with me?
The final part I'm almost certain it's Chicadee -"Oh la la"

Alithia, you nailed it. The song is the same with Jose Feliciano's "Cuando pienso en ti" just different title and lyrics (I assume). Hopefully we didn't come across some copyright issues here:think:

so Doris

Anna Gabriel's song is the middle section of B/S SD, I said wrongly it is composed of only 2 pieces, it is made of 3:
Samba -rhumba-samba and indeed the 3rd one as Alithia said is Chicadee -"Oh la la, the first one still a mistery...