GP series and Seasons Best Scores | Golden Skate

GP series and Seasons Best Scores

sorcerer

Final Flight
GP series and Seasons Best Scores (Re: B comps)

I'd like to confirm:

Seasons best scores, as seen in
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2010-11/sbtslto.htm
do not include international B comps.

The announcement of the GP/GPFinal citing
"seasonal best scores"
refers to the above in describing the
"DESIGNATION OF THE SKATERS" (Seeded skaters, Invited skaters, etc).

So the international B comps have only two meanings in regards of GPs and that is the World Standings 1-24, and the prospected "minimum score" to be implemented.

The last point is very ambiguous in that the B comps are or aren't counted into Seasons Best Scores. Perhaps when talking about the "minimum score" one should stay away from pronouncing "Seasons Best".

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is true that (except for host picks) skaters MUST be on the SB list to get a GP invitation. But The minimum score may be met at ANY ISU competition.

Skaters/teams whose SB score fell below the minimum could attempt to make the minimum score at an early-season competition before the GP (Nebelhorn, Nepela, Finlandia). While a much better score wouldn't get them a GP assignment (which will be given out at the ISU GP meeting 6/24-26), it could at least put them on the substitute list.

BTW, the minimum score has been re-defined as 2/3 of the top TES score per discipline. Skaters would have to meet the minimum SP TES and the minimum FS TES.

MEN: 34.34, 64.33
LADIES: 21.99, 43.86
PAIRS: 26.74, 48.65
DANCE: 25.31, 35.87

For example, MARLEY / BRUBAKER, who are #24 on the SB list, do not meet the minimum SP TES (their SB is 23.60), although their FS TES (SB 51.35) is well above the minimum. They could still get a host pick spot at SA, but to get a possible 2nd assignment, they would have to meet the minimum SP TES score at SA to be placed on the substitute list. Another alternative would be for M/B to compete at Nebelhorn, Nepela or Finlandia and achieve the minimum SP TES there, prior to their SA assignment.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
BTW, the minimum score has been re-defined as 2/3 of the top TES score per discipline. Skaters would have to meet the minimum SP TES and the minimum FS TES.
"Re-defined" by whom? Are you referring to SUN's post (#52) in the GP Pre-announcement discussion thread at FSU? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78719&page=3
Until the 2011-12 ISU Grand Prix Announcement is published, nothing is known for certain.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Yes, but could you tell me the whereabouts of the origin of this information on "minimum scores"?
Apparently this was published in the German skating magazine "Pirouette" in early 2011 and I first read about it on FSU -- go to post #1 on the first page of the thread I linked to above.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Thank you Sylvia.
Yes those kinds of chages do not always seem to pass the Council as prospected.

BTW this is not the year for ISU biannual Congress, what do they have in June? Just Council meeting?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
BTW this is not the year for ISU biannual Congress, what do they have in June? Just Council meeting?
SUN (who I consider a reliable source) posted at FSU that the dates of the ISU Grand Prix selection meeting are June 24-26 in Paris.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And it was "reliable source" SUN who said the 2/3 rule would likely be applied separately to SP and FS. Last year, the ISU declared arbitrary 'minimums' for both SP and FS and skaters/teams had to meet the minimums for both programs in order to compete at Worlds.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
And it was "reliable source" SUN who said the 2/3 rule would likely be applied separately to SP and FS.
Link, please?

ETA: SUN posted on 5/24 on page 3 of the FSU thread linked above: "Well, now I hear that for the minimum 2/3 score only technical mark will be considered."

kwanfan1818 then posted: "The original report was based on a combined minimum score including PCS. This has been clarified as TES only. We still don't know if it's combined TES score at one competition or separate minimum scores for each program that can be earned at one or different competitions."

Last edited:
It is true that (except for host picks) skaters MUST be on the SB list to get a GP invitation. But The minimum score may be met at ANY ISU competition.

Skaters/teams whose SB score fell below the minimum could attempt to make the minimum score at an early-season competition before the GP (Nebelhorn, Nepela, Finlandia). While a much better score wouldn't get them a GP assignment (which will be given out at the ISU GP meeting 6/24-26), it could at least put them on the substitute list.

MEN: 34.34, 64.33
LADIES: 21.99, 43.86
PAIRS: 26.74, 48.65
DANCE: 25.31, 35.87

For example, MARLEY / BRUBAKER, who are #24 on the SB list, do not meet the minimum SP TES (their SB is 23.60), although their FS TES (SB 51.35) is well above the minimum. They could still get a host pick spot at SA, but to get a possible 2nd assignment, they would have to meet the minimum SP TES score at SA to be placed on the substitute list. Another alternative would be for M/B to compete at Nebelhorn, Nepela or Finlandia and achieve the minimum SP TES there, prior to their SA assignment.
My basic algebra has disappeared with everything else I had at one time.

I presume you give the resuls of the 2/3 top score of the Mens. SP 34.34 and LP and LP 64.33. Can you give the top score which was used to to get that top score and who was it? I don't trust my simple algebra.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Joe, I think chuckm or someone he quoted from has miscalculated.
The Highest TES SP last season is of Chan's 51.48, so 2/3 is 34.32,
and the same on FS last season is of Kozuka's 98.53, so 2/3 is 65.69.

Sylvia, so that means the annual Council meeting is also in Paris at the same time, I suppose.

Thank you sorcerer. It's just nice to know who set the standard for the 2/3, I was thinking of Chan when I questioned it.

So the unseeded skaters must make 2/3 of Chan's scores, pluse somewhere on the ISU List of Season's Best Is that correct?

sorcerer

Final Flight
That's NOT enough, Joe.

You must, mostly, make 2/3 of Kozuka's highest FS TES;

and separately, 2/3 of Chan's highest SP TES;

and these will automatically put you above the necessary 75th place on SB list for men.

sorcerer

Final Flight
BTW why are they planning to use only the TES and not the whole TSS(TES+PCS)?
Not only that the latter would be more commonly known as results, but also from the point of view that TES is also a reflection of the judges' subjective evaluations namely GOE.

What is the aim of avoiding PCS for calculating out the cut line?

NMURA

Medalist
The PCS is 100% reflection of the judge's subjective evaluations. Comparing only TES would be less subjective, and it also lowers the minimum score bar for borderline skaters.

samba

On the Ice
BTW why are they planning to use only the TES and not the whole TSS(TES+PCS)?
Not only that the latter would be more commonly known as results, but also from the point of view that TES is also a reflection of the judges' subjective evaluations namely GOE.

What is the aim of avoiding PCS for calculating out the cut line?

It's pretty obvious that even ISU admits that the PCS is unreliable score, very subjective and can be inflated or deflated by politics and etc.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTOH, maybe the ISU believes that jump technicians with poor presentation skills are just as entertaining as fully-rounded top skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Maybe, just maybe, they want to focus on the technical qualifications of skaters, because it's a sport, you know...maybe :slinkaway: just maybe.