Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ... | Golden Skate

Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
kind of shocking... well, there kills one of the great debates on golden skate...

gottadance

On the Ice
let the conjecture begin!

I am torn about this news - I just love Islam and Paul and this may just give them the opportunity for more GPS assignments and a berth on the World team. At the same time I am sorry to see Crone and Poirier break up at such a young age - I cant help but wonder if some of the awful negativity that I have seen here and on other skating forums , including rather personal comments about their respective " looks" that must have hurt , may have contributed to this decision? I think Paul is a brilliant skater and I hope he can find a partner that suits him and can match is very strong tecnique.

So , anybody got any ideas as to who he might pair up with ??

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Wow!!!! I was NOT expecting that. I was so hoping they were going to get some advanced help, and was looking forward to see the big improvement. They had their own unique style, and I will miss them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Good news. Now Paul & Islam, a far more talented, interested, and promising team, will get to go to Worlds immediately, whereas the heirarchy in Canadian dance would have prevented it otherwise. Also this makes things even easier for Weaver & Poje to continue their long delayed rise after years of being politically shafted in favor of Crone & Poirier. Wise choice by Crone & Poirier too. They clearly had the best season they were ever going to have in the sport with a Grand Prix victory, Grand Prix final medal, Canadian title, and Four Continents title. Good note to go out on, they were passed by a bunch of younger teams this season and were never going to make a World podium.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
OMG, this IS shocking. It sounds like Vanessa wants to maybe become a singles skater? I'm not really sure who Poirier could pair up with. I thought of Khokhlova, if things don't work out with Andreev (I know Paul isn't quite up to her speed but he's better than Fedor IMO), but that just seems sort of ridiculous for some reason. lol. Anyway, this is good news for Paul and Islam though, and I guess Ralph and Hill too since I don't think they'll lose their spot on the national team now.

jcoates

Medalist
well, there kills one of the great debates on golden skate...

Heh, well said. Seriously though, this is unfortunate. I too had hoped that with time, they would have eventually found their own skating "voice" with additional coaching and choreographic input and recovered their upward trajectory. I never disliked them per se, I simply thought they style they had chosen, especially this season, was a bad fit. Also, I find this decision to be part of a somewhat disturbing trend among skaters, but also other athletes. It seems that they are too inclined to call it quits or break up at too early an age. P/B, Delobel/ Schoenfelder, D/L, F/S, B/K, etc. all achieved their greatest success late in their careers. They did not give up. If this is about feeling that some styles of skating don't fit well with COP, who's to say there won't changes in the future that would benefit them? There's something to be said for sticking things out through the bad times even in the eyes of the judges. It makes success later all the sweeter.

Here's hoping they both find happiness in the future.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye: I can't help but wonder... When Jennifer Kirk split with her partner after their first season..and left the coach she'd been working with, and then listed Carol Lane as her coach , although she had no partner..I thought..:confused:..what the ? Now, Jennifer has none of the L/R posture problems , having had early training elsewhere, and a lot of dance by the looks of things..I feel a little suspicious...Paul is certainly young enough to wait a year or so for a new partner to catch up...Whoever it might be ,he must look at her and must still loosen up his back. Here's hoping !

Of course we can't know the details of what all played into the decision, but I do feel what improvements happened with C/P were made on Vanessa's part , so I might wind up feeling a bit miffed for her depending on what transpires.. I hope she has success with her future skating , and who knows , maybe she'll be focusing on singles the way Jessica Dube did ..;)

csparkles

Rinkside
:rolleye: I can't help but wonder... When Jennifer Kirk split with her partner after their first season..and left the coach she'd been working with, and then listed Carol Lane as her coach , although she had no partner..I thought..:confused:..what the ? Now, Jennifer has none of the L/R posture problems , having had early training elsewhere, and a lot of dance by the looks of things..I feel a little suspicious...Paul is certainly young enough to wait a year or so for a new partner to catch up...Whoever it might be ,he must look at her and must still loosen up his back. Here's hoping !

Of course we can't know the details of what all played into the decision, but I do feel what improvements happened with C/P were made on Vanessa's part , so I might wind up feeling a bit miffed for her depending on what transpires.. I hope she has success with her future skating , and who knows , maybe she'll be focusing on singles the way Jessica Dube did ..;)

There is not now, nor has there ever been, anyone named Jennifer Kirk training with Carol Lane. Your dislike of the Lane/Razgulajev school is noted, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but please check your facts.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Coming from the internet , it may have been a misprint. I'll certainly try to find where I saw it. It was something I saw shortly after Nationals , and it did make me raise my eyebrows . It seemed an odd time to list a different coach , given that she didn't have a partner. If it turns out I'm wrong , Oh, OK. ( However , she would still be one of the people he might think of trying out with. )

Just to clarify, I don't dislike the L/R school as a whole, and certainly not on a personal level. I don't know anybody associated with it . I dislike the weaknesses in their program , which affect their skaters .... but which have nothing to do with the "blades on the ice " bit ( they seem to have that down very well ) ..so I can't see why the weaknesses can't be fixed.

ETA : of course I didn't mean Jennifer Kirk..:biggrin:..my mind was on other things as well... I meant Rachel Kirkland.. different skater , same scenario..I'll see if I can find the info..

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
OMG, this IS shocking. It sounds like Vanessa wants to maybe become a singles skater? I'm not really sure who Poirier could pair up with. I thought of Khokhlova, if things don't work out with Andreev (I know Paul isn't quite up to her speed but he's better than Fedor IMO), but that just seems sort of ridiculous for some reason. lol. Anyway, this is good news for Paul and Islam though, and I guess Ralph and Hill too since I don't think they'll lose their spot on the national team now.

National team spots don't transfer.

Heh, well said. Seriously though, this is unfortunate. I too had hoped that with time, they would have eventually found their own skating "voice" with additional coaching and choreographic input and recovered their upward trajectory. I never disliked them per se, I simply thought they style they had chosen, especially this season, was a bad fit. Also, I find this decision to be part of a somewhat disturbing trend among skaters, but also other athletes. It seems that they are too inclined to call it quits or break up at too early an age. P/B, Delobel/ Schoenfelder, D/L, F/S, B/K, etc. all achieved their greatest success late in their careers. They did not give up. If this is about feeling that some styles of skating don't fit well with COP, who's to say there won't changes in the future that would benefit them? There's something to be said for sticking things out through the bad times even in the eyes of the judges. It makes success later all the sweeter.

Here's hoping they both find happiness in the future.

There are two factors that I think are worth considering. First, with the trend in ice dance being more youthful, we tend to forget that some of these partnerships HAVE lasted a long time. They've been together as long as F/S have, and only one season less than P/B. The sport is expensive and the committment considerable. If Vanessa doesn't want to continue, I actually give her credit for doing this now rather than later.

colleen, you should be well aware that your considered criticisms are in fact the direct cause of this break-up. Geez, people, colleen has never said anything meanspiritedly and trying to paint her comments otherwise ignores the nuance and substance of what she says.

shariano

Spectator
:)Coming from the internet , it may have been a misprint. I'll certainly try to find where I saw it. It was something I saw shortly after Nationals , and it did make me raise my eyebrows . It seemed an odd time to list a different coach , given that she didn't have a partner. If it turns out I'm wrong , Oh, OK. ( However , she would still be one of the people he might think of trying out with. )

Just to clarify, I don't dislike the L/R school as a whole, and certainly not on a personal level. I don't know anybody associated with it . I dislike the weaknesses in their program , which affect their skaters .... but which have nothing to do with the "blades on the ice " bit ( they seem to have that down very well ) ..so I can't see why the weaknesses can't be fixed.

ETA : of course I didn't mean Jennifer Kirk..:biggrin:..my mind was on other things as well... I meant Rachel Kirkland.. different skater , same scenario..I'll see if I can find the info..

I think you probably saw it when Rachel was on icepartnersearch.com. She listed her coach as Carol Lane, if I'm not mistaken

jcoates

Medalist
The sport is expensive and the committment considerable. If Vanessa doesn't want to continue, I actually give her credit for doing this now rather than later.

This is a fair point, especially in this economy and their apparent slide down the rankings among Canadian teams. However, if one or both opt to continue in the sport either in singles or dance, then the cost factor becomes moot. Still, after rereading the announcement, it seems that they felt they had reached their potential together and decided to move on.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
shariano..yes, it might have been Ice Partner Search, but she's removed her profile. I thought it was a part of brief article from a small paper , reporting she and Sebastien Buron had split , and she would be coached by Carol Lane. Since they'd been with Marcotte , I thought it odd , with no partner in the mix..

While looking for the piece though , Google sent me to Rachel's twitter..She tweets back and forth with Kelly Oliveira..and says she's doing on ice choreo at the moment..so, where and with whom I wonder ?

Pogue.. Thanks...sometimes I have to run and look in the mirror to see if I've grown a wart on my long green nose..:biggrin:

ETA; oops.. I meant to ask , is it true ( as per FSU) that Oliveira & Hockley have split as well ?

Last edited:

fan1961

Rinkside
shariano..yes, it might have been Ice Partner Search, but she's removed her profile. I thought it was a part of brief article from a small paper , reporting she and Sebastien Buron had split , and she would be coached by Carol Lane. Since they'd been with Marcotte , I thought it odd , with no partner in the mix..

While looking for the piece though , Google sent me to Rachel's twitter..She tweets back and forth with Kelly Oliveira..and says she's doing on ice choreo at the moment..so, where and with whom I wonder ?

Pogue.. Thanks...sometimes I have to run and look in the mirror to see if I've grown a wart on my long green nose..:biggrin:

ETA; oops.. I meant to ask , is it true ( as per FSU) that Oliveira & Hockley have split as well ?

Kelly and Jordan have split
Rachel has a new partner and they are working with Carol

colleen o'neill

Medalist
fan1961... Thanks ! Do you know who Rachel's partner is ? I really like her beautiful line, lovely back , etc. , and was very sad when her pairs career was cut short. I think she could be a very promising ice dancer.

And luck to Kelly and Jordan going ahead.

ntl

Rinkside
Hmm, how about Chock/Poirier? They would make the most stunning couple on ice. (That is, if the rumors about C/Z splitting were true.)

jolen

Rinkside
I am absolutely stunned! This team was one of my favorites. I was speaking with Vanessa at the Brampton show a few weeks back where they skated beautifully with that old spark. She was looking forward to the new year, choosing their new music and working with their choreographers on the new programs. She said they were hoping to work with Dean again and they had someone new already lined up for their short. I find it hard to believe that she would have been that enthusiastic if she was planning to quit skating a couple of weeks later. SOmething is odd here.

Last edited: