Zawadzki changes coaches | Golden Skate

Zawadzki changes coaches

Krislite

Medalist
Good news! Zawadzki dumps Zakrajsek. She has a bright future ahead of her. :biggrin:

(Source article cannot be linked according to forum rules.)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Good news! Zawadzki dumps Zakrajsek. She has a bright future ahead of her. :biggrin:

(Source article cannot be linked according to forum rules.)

Back to David Santee! yay! I thought David Santee got a short shrift when she left him a couple years ago to go to Tom Z. David has a CLEAR understanding of how to work the system for points (I believe he's a TS). Also, at many of the rinks that I skate at, I meet skaters with wonderful basic skating skills (at the Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice and Junior level) who happen to be David Santee's students. :biggrin:

I wonder who she'll work with for choreography.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The best part of the news it that she may wind up training with Patrick Chan (since Kristy Krall will apparently assist her daily training). Hopefully she'll improve her stroking and basics through osmosis (and they need improving, IMO).

Great news for Zawadski. damn good tech skater, but she needs a master coach to show her the nuances of a master skater. I don't know David as a coach but I do know him as a competitor who had a lot going for him. He would have won the Olys back then.
Zawadski needs not only to put time in with dancing classes, but also look at established dancers and how they convey their art.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Great news for Zawadski. damn good tech skater, but she needs a master coach to show her the nuances of a master skater. I don't know David as a coach but I do know him as a competitor who had a lot going for him. He would have won the Olys back then.
Zawadski needs not only to put time in with dancing classes, but also look at established dancers and how they convey their art.

but, he didn't. :( :no:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Good for Agnes as Tom Z seems like the type of coach who would never take her to the next level.

Have to wonder if the fiasco with Flatt at the GPF and Worlds had anything to do with this decision?

No skater should have a coach stupid enough to make them compete with serious injury and wishing Agnes the best next season.

I think it is just a matter of time before she wins the US champiosnhip.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Hernando, I think the straw that broke the camel's back was the situation with Ferris at Nationals (he's also left Tom Z)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The USFS press release (linked above) states that "Christy Krall will assist [David] Santee with day-to-day training while Zawadzki trains in Colorado Springs." Perhaps she will be spending some time in Chicago this summer training with Santee?

Joshua Farris' USFS/Icenetwork bio has been updated with the names of his new coaches -- Christy Krall (primary) and Damon Allen (both are at the same rink in Colorado Springs, CO).

Farris' adductor (groin muscle) injury at US Nationals was diagnosed after an quad toe attempt at one of his official practices in Greensboro before the Senior Men's short program (he was able to get a shot for the pain before the SP but not for the FS due to an allergic reaction he suffered the night before the FS). The small fracture in his fibula (leg) bone occurred during his free skate and was only diagnosed afterwards (I believe that healed faster than his adductor injury). He's reportedly back on the ice and training now.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sylvia. It is not clear what Tom Z's role in all this was, but a lot of skaters do seem to be voting with their feet. Back to Agnes, I hope the switch is fruitful. That girl looks like total win to me.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
New information in this Chicago area article published today (Zawadzki was interviewed by phone): http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110613/news/706139908/
Excerpts:
Yet, she conceded that she had lost her drive.

“I wasn’t loving (skating) and I felt I had to make a change,” she said. “David is the person I can talk to. He is the one who has coached me the longest and I think he can bring back my love of the sport.”
For the last three years, Zawadzki has trained in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center, while attending Cheyenne High School. She will continue to train there, Santee says, coming back to Park Ridge for approximately one week per month.

Santee will travel to Colorado Springs regularly to monitor her coaching, but assisting him with her day-to-day coaching will be Christy Krall, who coaches the 2011 world champion Patrick Chan of Canada.

“No one knows her better than I do,” Santee said. “She’s very comfortable with me. She knows how I am at competitions and just how I can help her as she goes forward.

“Sometimes,” he adds, “you just feel the right chemistry and that makes a big difference.”