BEST and WORST LADIES Outfits. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

BEST and WORST LADIES Outfits.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I have a long list of favourites, generally I think my favourites one are that of Sasha, always extremely elegant, I think my favourite are Romeo&Juliet both gala version and 2006lp at nationals
Another that has always gorgeous dresses is Yu Na Kim, I think my favourites are those from 2009.

Then, I loved most of Kostner: her best one IMO was this year SP , but I also loved some of her first costumes, like this one she used in worlds gala 2004 (though I think it wasn't hers, but it was borrowed from another skater) and especially 2005 gala "Fly"
Loved also this , this and this
Worst one 2010 both sp (too short, like this other one and another one black she used in some gala) and lp (didn't like it with the music).

For the gold dresses, I liked Michelle's and also this one

Finnish skaters often have great costumes, Susanna Poykio (her romeo&juliet), but also Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto.
Alissa Czisny from whom I love especially the gorgeus tiffany's dress, Miki Ando had some great costumes too, Arakawa too (I liked 2006).
As for Mao, she had many disasters recently (2010!?!!!what was she wearing?!?) but this costume was gorgeus

then, last but not least, special mention to this from Irina

and I liked a lot also this, very simple, but gorgeus of Michelle Kwan

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Looking forward to a yawning future of dear little girls in dear white dresses skating to "Little Women,' "Anastasia," or similar lace-covered narratives made me contemplate giving up skating fandom entirely. Nothing against Tara, but I wanted something more and different from skating. Then, thank goodness, Tara decided to move on, and it was Michelle who remained. I don't care that Michelle never won the gold. I am just grateful that I had another eight years of textured and intriguing programs, as well as some rather lovely costumes, to savor.
Addendum: I agree with the bunch of you who cited Alissa's black-and-white Audrey Hepburn "Sabrina" costume.

ITA!!! :thumbsup:

Michelle and Alissa - two of the most elegant skaters IMO!!!

silverpond

On the Ice
I liked the simple elegance of Peggy Fleming's skating costumes. They were feminine, yet they looked like competitive costumes. You certainly spent time admiring the costume, but you also spent time watching the actual skating.

Kristi Yamaguchi always had beautiful competitive costumes, as did Nancy Kerrigan.

I got a kick out of Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" costume from the 1994 Olympics.

Sometimes the costumes worn by the women - and the men - are so distracting that folks like me spend 99 percent of our time watching the costumes and very little watching the skating.

I liked the simple elegance of Peggy Fleming's skating costumes. They were feminine, yet they looked like competitive costumes. You certainly spent time admiring the costume, but you also spent time watching the actual skating.

I agree about Peggy's costumes, especially that lovely chartreuse one she wore at the 1968 Olympics. Costumes in those days were much simpler, pretty much a long-sleeved leotard with a skirt. There's something to be said for that. I believe Peggy's mother made her costumes...just ran 'em up on the sewing machine. These days, costumes can cost thousands of dollars, I hear.

gio

Medalist
Simple elegance is the key for a good costume. Obviuosly it depends also from person to person. Afterall one has to know how to carry a dress. It is because of that, that I liked the costume choices of Kwan and Czisny.

Final Flight
kim yuna's danse macabre hands down, no questions.

if we're talking ice dance either tessa virtue's adagietto white dress or 2011 worlds gold dress.

as for the worst....i'd prefer to keep it to myself for this thread would be flooded and there's a chance i might be penalized.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Best
Short: Yu-Na Kim 2006-2007
Long: Vanessa Lam 2010-2011
Exhibition: Caroline Zhang 2006-2007

anyanka

Record Breaker
Mao in 2010, SP & FS. She's got a thing for chokers. How symbolic, considering that she felt constricted by her programs and didn't seem to skate with any joy. There was speed and power, for sure, but lack of passion for what she did. I have yet to see her return to the form she displayed at the 2007 worlds FS.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao in 2010, SP & FS. She's got a thing for chokers. How symbolic, considering that she felt constricted by her programs and didn't seem to skate with any joy. There was speed and power, for sure, but lack of passion for what she did. I have yet to see her return to the form she displayed at the 2007 worlds FS.

Speed, really? I remember commentators mentioning her slowness quite frequently throughout the Olympic season, as it was one of the big differences between her and Yuna. I feel like Mao used to skate faster when she was younger, but then when she grew her skating became considerably slower and less powerful. That being said, it also became a lot more polished and graceful.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Sometimes the costumes worn by the women - and the men - are so distracting that folks like me spend 99 percent of our time watching the costumes and very little watching the skating.

ITA 100%! A costume should enhance the whole program, not detract. I remember watching Alexei Urmanov's pro debut when he skated Phantom of the Opera. He's an amazing skater, but the costume was too distracting. Some also get into people's way. In 2004, Denkova/Staviysky had this blue costume that had a lot of chiffon. In many of their competitions, the chiffon actually flew into Maxim's face, making it difficult to see.

Personally, I'd rather see everyone skate in black short and black pants. If they can evoke the scenery of their story/interpretation, while showing some excellent skating, then they've got me hooked.

I remember the Urmanov costumes. It's too bad he had those elaborate get-ups, because his skating had a beautiful line, and the fuss and feathers just got in the way. A black turtleneck and slacks would have been all he needed--he was tall and slim and had wonderful posture.

silverpond

On the Ice
Nancy Kerrigan always looked elegant and lovely when she competed. You can't possibly look anything but gorgeous when you're wearing Vera Wang! :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Oh, I don't know about that. Some of Evan's costumes that Vera Wang did were a little, uh, not so gorgeous

silverpond

On the Ice
Brian Orser wrote in his biography that, as he progressed up the ranks as a world-class competitive skater, he and his coaches decided on a "total concept" training and presentation, which included the creation of costumes that were in harmony with his program and exhibition music. His 1988 Calgary "The Bolt" long program was enhanced with his brillant red military jumpsuit. Brian was always a classy guy on the ice, and his costumes were among the best of his era, in my view.