Skate for Hope 6/18 Columbus, OH | Golden Skate

Skate for Hope 6/18 Columbus, OH

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm just recovering from the DSC show last Thursday :biggrin: and now I'm making plans to attend Skate for Hope in Columbus, OH on June 18. This is a show to raise money for breast cancer research.

Here is a link to info http://www.skateforhope.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Headliners

Headliners include Johnny Weir :love:, Marley & Brubaker, the new team of Denny & Coughlin, the young man injured at U. S. Nationals in January - Joshua Farris, and Samuelson & Bates. Rachael Flatt should also be skating along with Emily Hughes, Marcy Hinzmann Harris & Hubby Harris. Marcy skated with Aaron Parcham for a couple of years. I'm probably forgetting someone, but check out the link if you live in the area.

As someone who usually doesn't go to shows, I find my behaviour strange :laugh: to say the least. Best part is I will be getting together with a skating friend who lives in Columbus!

Arianne

On the Ice
Just heard that Johnny's flight got cancelled (via his twitter). He's not sure if they are going to find his luggage and if they do he has to drive all night to get to Columbus. I hope he makes it!

Arianne

On the Ice
Oh good! Looks like he got his luggage and his planning on being there! Does anyone know if this show will be televised? Wish I could make it!

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just got back on line after attending Skate for Hope in Columbus, OH Saturday. It was a great show and quite well attended. My skating friend in Columbus said she never even saw it advertised locally so I was surprised at how many people were there.

This is a fund raiser for breast cancer research and most of the skaters have someone affected by the disease.

Here are the headlines and a short run down of their performance. I didn't recognize all the music - sorry.

Ryan Bradley did his Willy Wonka exhibition which was very cute. He tried a quad, but fell. He also went for a 3A and either fell or popped - but I give him credit for doing this in the off season in spotlights. He got a big hand from the crowd.

Rachael Flatt did her EOE short program. Jumps were pared down. She fell on her 3loop but did a nice 2A. Footwork and spins were nice as was the layback. She actually has a nice layback spin - only not a good COP layback because she can't seem to do all the crazy position. She wore the light yellow limey dress which somehow comes out like stop light yellow on TV. Her hair looks a little longer too.

Joshua Farris - who was injured at Nationals and ended up with a ankle fracture after his free skate - has healed. He did a very soulful number with nice lines and I think a couple of jumps. I will be looking for him in San Jose.

Johnny Weir did 2 solos. He was the only headliner to do a second number. His first was to Ave Maria and was beautiful. He popped his triple to a double and I think did a 2A. His skating is so soft, beautiful lines, wonderful flow over the ice. He got the most applause. His second solo towards the end of the show was to Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. He had on the makeup and the crazy costume. Not my cup of tea, but he seemed more on with his jumps and got a huge reaction from the crowd - a partial standing ovation.

Alexe Gilles did a nice program to a live Columbus area singer. She did a nice job. Hope this coaching change will help her improve.

Emily Hughes skated to Adele and did a 2F and a 2A. The axel landing was kind of shakey, but she held on. She did a spiral with a Charlotte and had a lot of enthusiasm.

Sarah Hughes skated to something I didn't recognize. She wore a red fringed costume which I didn't really care for cause I thought it made her look heavier than she currently is. Anyway she did a small split jump, some spirals and a couple of spins.

Rachael, Emily Samuelson (without Evan Bates), Alexe, Caitlin Yankowskas did a number called All the Single Ladies. They were vamping it up and very entertaining.

The pair teams were interesting.

Mary Beth Marley and Rockne Brubaker did a really nice job. Don't remember the music. She still looks quite young (probably because she is) but I enjoyed the number.

Caydee Denney and John Coughlin were ok. The throws were small and you could tell they were a very new team. She fell during 1 group number on a throw jump. They did what I thought was a 3 twist but the catch was a little messy.

The pair that got the most applause was Marcy Hinzman Harris and Lee Harris. They are local to Columbus and I think they coach in the area. They skated to something like the Candy Man but it wasn't the song made popular by Sammy Davis. They were very entertaining and received almost as much applause as Johnny Weir.

In between all the headliners were group number of all types. Young, older and new and more experienced skaters. All types of music, costumes and skating levels.

It was a lot of fun and I'm putting this on my calendar for next year!

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nice recap of the show, MFarone.

I was there too and really enjoyed it as well. I was disappointed Johnny wasn't in the opening number because of travel woes, but he was so good in last year's opener. There was fog, he came out in the dark (you could recognize him skating by though), then center ice and BAM a spotlight! That was a lot of fun. He's used to the spotlight.

I thought Caydee/Coughlin didn't look too bad for only a month or so of working together. That botched throw landing into a split looked horribly painful though. Ouch!

And I really loved Marcie and Lee. What a cute couple -- and spinning her on his head was pretty awesome!