Adam Rippon will be going to Dungjen and Detroit | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon will be going to Dungjen and Detroit

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=46250&type=media

Adam Rippon, a two-time World Junior champion and the gold medalist at the 2010 International Skating Union (ISU) Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, announced today that he will commence training with Jason Dungjen at the Detroit Skating Club after working the past several months on a transitional basis with Ghislain Briand in Toronto.

"I put a lot of thought into my search for a new training site, and I'm excited and looking forward to working with Jason," Rippon said. "I want to thank Ghislain for his help in this transitional period."

Interesting. I'm sure most will find this very promising. I just hope their strategy is not to make Adam skate as slowly and cautiously as Alissa.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Sounds good. I hope it works out for him. Jason and Yuka are becoming the new power team fast.

pista04

On the Ice
I am very excited for Jason and Yuka, and now Adam....he has a great amount of potential. =]

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Adam's stroking is seriously awful, maybe with Yuka's influence in the background it can be fixed. So this sounds like a good move!

krenseby

Final Flight
Interesting. I'm sure most will find this very promising. I just hope their strategy is not to make Adam skate as slowly and cautiously as Alissa.

Did Alissa used to skate faster when she was with her previous coach?

Last edited:
I don't know about overall, but I think Yuka and Jason are working with Alissa's jump approaches, to make them more methodical and focused.

Brfore she had a tendency to rush into the jump, leading with her upper body. Now I think she is trying to hold the groove and let each element come to her.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Alissa was never a particularly fast stroker. I don't really notice a big difference in her stroking in general after switching to Yuka and Jason. I have a tough time believing that Yuka, with the best knees in skating and all, could lead a skater astray in the basics. Based on memory, I think Mathman is right. At least, I think Alissa's approach to the double axel is less awkward since the coaching switch.

Arianne

On the Ice
I'm happy to hear that Adam is making his way to Detroit. I just went to the Detroit Skating Club last week and saw "A Magical Evening on Ice." It was great and neat to see all of the high level skaters that are training in Michigan (not far from where I live!). I think Adam will do well with Yuka and Jason. Maybe they can help him with the consistency he needs. I hope things go well for Alexe Gilles as well in Detoit. Is anyone going to Skate Detroit this year? I think I will be going!

Did Alyssa used to skate faster when she was with her previous coach?
You know, that was my impression - that she was always "a gentle and cautious skater," to quote Peggy Fleming, but is even slower and more deliberate now. But it's only an impression, not a scientific observation. I should do some careful comparisons to see if I am correct or not.

Should I reply on Alissa or Adam?

I don't see Adam as a slow skater. I don't clock the speeds in figure skating. I go by skating to the music, and Adam does that very well. However, he could use a quad or two. I do not want to know he is practicing them. I want to see them in competition.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm happy to hear that Adam is making his way to Detroit. I just went to the Detroit Skating Club last week and saw "A Magical Evening on Ice." It was great and neat to see all of the high level skaters that are training in Michigan (not far from where I live!). I think Adam will do well with Yuka and Jason. Maybe they can help him with the consistency he needs. I hope things go well for Alexe Gilles as well in Detoit. Is anyone going to Skate Detroit this year? I think I will be going!

I'm considering attending Skate Detroit, but only the last 3 days. I read on another board that Keegan Messing is competing, as are Alexe Gilles, and Christina Gao. I'm hoping someone will post more names. I'd love to go for the entire competition, but it is difficult to get away for that long.

I think this will be a good atmospher for Adam and wish him well.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Is Gao still in the Orser camp? I can't keep track of all the coaching changes lately.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
adam needs to pick a coach and stay there. He's chasing the latest greatest coaches expecting magic... Morosov was no longer the king of coaches, so he goes to Orser... that didn't work and oh! look! Yuka and Jason are the hot item now let's go to them.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
adam needs to pick a coach and stay there. He's chasing the latest greatest coaches expecting magic... Morosov was no longer the king of coaches, so he goes to Orser... that didn't work and oh! look! Yuka and Jason are the hot item now let's go to them.
Sure, it may look that way to you, but only Adam knows what he needs from a coach and he's the one who has to deal with the consequences of his coaching change decisions.

Jeremy Abbott (@jeremyabbottpcf) tweeted yesterday:
Now that the cats out of the bag I'd like to extend a warm welcome to @Adaripp [Adam Rippon] I'm really excited to be training together! :)

Here's the link to Universal Sports' Skype interview with Rippon about his coaching change and summer plans. Excerpt from the interview:
My long program with Pasquale [Camerlengo] - I LOVED working with him - it's kind of a classical program. With Shae Lynn [Bourne] it's a folk number ... I love working with her, she's incredible, she's probably one of the best skaters that ever skated.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt Adam is just rapidly changing coaches based on trends. It costs lots of money, resources and sanity to move from place to place and acclimating to new coaching teams and rinks. I doubt he made any of these decisions lightly.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I seriously doubt Adam is just rapidly changing coaches based on trends. It costs lots of money, resources and sanity to move from place to place and acclimating to new coaching teams and rinks. I doubt he made any of these decisions lightly.

ITA. And could could plainly see that there was definitely some SERIOUS tension between him and Brian ever since Skate Canada, it was pretty obvious that something was off/had gone sour, and once that happens, it's hard to stick around, even if you're technically being coached by someone else (case in point - Yuna, she stayed in Toronto for a while after ending things with Brian, but it didn't last long).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great news. I think that Adam will blossom this season. I always believed that his nerves got the best of him
in competition and being coached by Jason will definitely help him with that aspect of his skating because
as far as talent goes this young man has oodles of it. Wishing him the best in his new environment.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me Adam just doesn't have big enough jumps to really make a mark at least internationally.