U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

reynycpr

On the Ice
So just randomly checking through my twitter and saw this tweet from Hersh (title of the thread).

(Forgive me if it has already been posted/talked about)

Not sure if the link to his article can be posted on here but heres the gist:

"Rachael Flatt's failure to report the injury that dramatically affected her performance at April's World Championships in Moscow has cost her a reprimand and a fine.

It also likely cost the United States team a third women's spot at the 2012 worlds.

U.S. Figure Skating took action against Flatt based on an inquiry that began after a prominent coach raised the issue, as first reported in a May 2 Globetrotting entry."

"In response to my latest inquiry about the situation, I received an email today from the federation saying it had issued a letter of reprimand to Flatt and fined her an ``undisclosed amount'' for "not reporting her injury in advance to U.S. Figure Skating, as was required.''

The email said USFS would have no further comment on the action."

Thoughts?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
prominent coach = Frank Carroll?

And I didn't know that there were rules regarding this type of thing. I guess it makes sense in a weird way.

I think Mr. Hersh is being overly modest in giving all the credit to Frank Carroll.

It was Hersh who, hearing of Rachael's injuries shortly after the long program, contacted Tom Z by email for an explanation, then phoned Frank Carroll for his reaction, then diligently called the USFSA to ask what they were going to do about it.

callalily

On the Ice
I wonder if her coach pressured her. Isn't he the guy who put a skater on the ice with a broken foot? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Skaters are often encouraged/pressured to skate through injury, and I hope the skater doesn't end up taking all of the blame if that's the case.

And I hope the USFS (or any federation) is consistent in its handling of these situations. So often we hear of athletes being praised for "toughness" and fighting through injury (not necessarily a good thing - but the expectation is there), but it seems that once another coach complains and the rulebook is invoked, the behaviour that was previously praised can be penalized. The skaters are in a difficult position.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I wonder if her coach pressured her. Isn't he the guy who put a skater on the ice with a broken foot? (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Skaters are often encouraged/pressured to skate through injury, and I hope the skater doesn't end up taking all of the blame if that's the case.

And I hope the USFS (or any federation) is consistent in its handling of these situations. So often we hear of athletes being praised for "toughness" and fighting through injury (not necessarily a good thing - but the expectation is there), but it seems that once another coach complains and the rulebook is invoked, the behaviour that was previously praised can be penalized. The skaters are in a difficult position.

According to Hersh there is pending action against Tom Z.

Back when this happened I thought a one year suspension felt right as Tom Z has shown more than once a lack of concern for his skaters.

He also broke a rule by not reporting an injury as serious as a broken leg to US Skating.

If this happened in Russia Tom Z would be coaching for the next few years at Lake Baikul. Piseev would never put up with such dishonesty from a coach.

Is there any reason for US Skating to put up with such unethical behavior?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, Tom Z's student Joshua Farris skated through a whole program on a foot that was initially injured, and certainly at the end of the routine was broken. Actually, I think it was his ankle? In any case, it was a horribly painful thing to watch.

seniorita

Record Breaker
last year the ladies didnt win a third spot either without someone being injured, the claim that they lost a third spot is ridiculous, how do they know it?Because Alissa skated very well?
And the last that must have been accused is Rachel. Fined...
Hersh instead of making skating more popular in the mainstream media, he makes it look worse.

janetfan

Match Penalty
last year the ladies didnt win a third spot either without someone being injured, the claim that they lost a third spot is ridiculous, how do they know it?Because Alissa skated very well?
And the last that must have been accused is Rachel. Fined...
Hersh instead of making skating more popular in the mainstream media, he makes it look worse.

If this was Russia, Rachael would be suspended for a year ala Plushy.

Don't try and make up stories since we all know how your favorite federation handles less than desirable actions.

Remember Luitai :eek::

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It is ultimately the responsibility of the skater to report such injuries to the Association, particularly if the coach is inclined not too! Rachael violated the rules and deserves the fine and letter of reprimand. The Hersh article states that USFS has indicated that the fine and reprimand will not affect Flatt's eligibility to compete in 2011-12. They will deal with coach Zakrajsek separately and IMHO he should be more heavily sanctioned for his lack of action on the matter. Shame on him!

It is ultimately the responsibility of the skater to report such injuries to the Association, particularly if the coach is inclined not too! Rachael violated the rules...

Pete, can you do me a favor and point me to the exact rule that was broken?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And why that rule was not invoked last year when Ryan Bradley (another of Tom Z's students) skated at Worlds on a broken foot?

Or against any other skater in my memory who competed at Worlds while injured.

In the far past, why were Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek not fined for not competing at Worlds last year?

This seems to be an 'ex post facto' rule to me.

Krislite

Medalist
And why that rule was not invoked last year when Ryan Bradley (another of Tom Z's students) skated at Worlds on a broken foot?

In the far past, why were Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek not fined for not competing at Worlds last year?

Isn't the reprimand for the failure to report the injury and not competing with the injury itself? Nearly all skaters compete with injury at one point or another. In this case, some "prominent coach" raised the issue and there's also a sense of injustice over the loss of the third spot. Never mind that the star pupil of this "prominent coach" also lost the third spot for Team USA in the previous World Championship.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Gimme a break Doris.

Ryan's injury was not a secret and US Skating knew about it.

If you can't see the difference between that and what Flatt did then all i can say is Rachael's parents must be major financial contributors to GS. :sheesh:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
BTW, I do not own GS. I am a humble poster like the rest.

Neither better nor worse.

I have however, heard of skaters not disclosing their conditions before and still skating.

I have certainly never seen a skater fined because 3 spots were lost.

I certainly did not see USFS fine itself when it was so stupid that the only lady from the US at 1984 Worlds was Elaine Zayak, because USFS failed to file paperwork timely so that if some skaters choose not to compete, that they had replacements legal to skate.

Mirai & Rachael were not fined for not getting 3 spots last year, for example.

My point is not that Rachael should not have to disclose her condition. It's that as far as I know, there was no rule requiring her to disclose it.