Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General | Golden Skate

Canadian Summer Competitions, 2011, General

geoskate

On the Ice
Within the next two weeks entries should be posted for several summer competitions in Canada.

If I understand the Quebec website correctly, the closing date for the Quebec Summer competition (August 11-14) is June 21st. Therefore this link, updated today, may give the final entry list for the competition.

Other competitions in July and August, along with entry date cutoffs, are the following:

Minto July 28-31 (Deadline July 1st).
Wildrose August 5-7 (Deadline July 7th)
Prairie Skate August 5-7, Virden (Deadline July 7th)
Summer Sizzle (WOS) August 5-7 (Deadline July 7th)
Thornhill Summer Skate (COS) August 11-14 (Deadline July 7th)
BC SummerSkate August 18-21 (Deadline July 13).

geoskate

On the Ice
Competitions in September are the following:

Autumn Skate September 16-18
Isabelle Henderson (WOS) September 23-25
Souvenir Georges-Ethier September 29-October 2

and in October:

Sask Skate October 7-9
Royal Glenora Invitational October 14-16
Octoberfest October 13-16
Autumn Leaves free skate, Kamloops, October 14-16
BC Coast Regional Championships October 21-23

Scout

Final Flight
Thanks for compiling the list, geoskate. There's some relatively tough competition in the ladies events in Quebec. Does anyone have any updates on Myriane Samson? Is she still recovering from the knee injury that kept her out of worlds? She hasn't received a GP assignment, nor is she on the Quebec list. Also, I'm impressed by the high number of entries -although this is not unusual for this comp- in the novice and pre-novice categories: 97 Novice ladies in the short, and 197 pre-novice ladies (I think).

The schedule is posted for the Minto summer competition and their website says flights to follow. I would think that those lists should be posted this week as the competition is within 2 weeks.

geoskate

On the Ice
Thanks for posting the link.

There aren't as many junior dance teams as last year, due to the conflict with Lake Placid, but with 13 teams it is still a good competition. Several are new teams making their competitive debut. Interestingly, Sarah Aghai now is skating for Finland with Jussiville Partanen. Other new teams are Kylie Knight/Allan Stowe, Nicole Kuzmich/Jordan Hockley and Rachel Kirkland/Christopher Lettner. There's a contingent of strong BC novice teams that are making their junior debut here, I think (Bruser/Lum, Dalmer/Firus and Edwards/Pang). It will be interesting to see how they fit into the mix.

There are 8 senior teams, which should make for an interesting competition (including Milena Todaro/Arseny Markov!!!). Ralph/Hill (4th at Canadians) are entered here in the free dance only, as well as Harvey/Gagnon (5th at Canadians). The novice dance competition, with 11 teams, is also of a very respectable size.

The new senior pair team of Julianna Seguin/Andrew Evans will be skating here. I believe this will be their debut performance.

Should also mention the Carroll/Gerber who train in Barrie actual represent Poland although they have chosen to say they are representing COS here.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Interesting. Some of the BC Teams at Senior are also listed for Lake Placid, based on the practise schedule for Lake Placid. (Harvey/Gagnon and VanAs/Shindle, for example.) So these teams will compete in Ottawa or Lake Placid? Don't think both are possible? Also, why would Lake Placid and Minto be planned the same weekend? Many teams would compete in both in past years.

Canadian entries for JGP make total sense. I predict for the third one we'll have Vanessa Grenier, Shaquille Davis, and Connor and Victoria Hagagawa.

nadster

Final Flight
Canadian entries for JGP make total sense. I predict for the third one we'll have Vanessa Grenier, Shaquille Davis, and Connor and Victoria Hagagawa.

Grenier has aged out. Besides we have only 4 ladies spots total. We can send one lady to only 4 of the events this year.

Canada has 4 ladies JGP slots , 14 mens , 12 pairs and 7 dance spots.

thumbyskates

Rinkside
I do believe it is Nam's debut - and so sad it's not J10's comeback :( I had high hopes.
So far looks like a decent competition - some good skating should be seen...I'll bet surprises too.

geoskate

On the Ice
Here's the link to the results from the senior free dance at Minto.

It's rather shocking who is in third place. They're behind a team which was 7th at Canadians last season. I wonder what went wrong?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Scroll down and the protocols are attached. R&H got level 1 for both step sequences and no credit at all for the rotational lift.

They didn't compete the SD.

My guess is that they are not really that competition-ready just yet.

geoskate

On the Ice
Thanks very much. I didn't realize that the protocols were attached at the bottom of the pdfs.

That's great information regarding the protocols. Now I can go back and see what jumps the single skaters landed.

trains

On the Ice
At Minto R & H hesitated a couple of times and dropped the choreography, and also looked like they skipped an element. I think the program must have just been finished. Their skating looks as good as ever.