Katarina Witt | Golden Skate

Katarina Witt

silverpond

On the Ice
Forgive me, Ladies and Gentlemen, if this is a 'repeat' thread, which it might very well be.

I remember seeing the great Katarina Witt at the 1982 Worlds, when as a 16-year-old, she won the silver medal behind Elaine Zayak of the US. Katarina skated to the soundtrack from "Superman", as I recall, and she flashed a beautiful smile. She seemed so human and cheerful, a far contrast from what was then perceived to be the unsmiling, overly serious persona of the the East German athletes.

Witt won the Olympic title in 1984, skating to Gershwin tunes. While many of us were disappointed that Rosalyn Sumners finished second, Katarina clearly deserved the victory, as she skated with speed, confidence, and lots of showmanship.

It was amusing how the sportscasters tried to portray Witt as the "bad guy", as she competed against, and usually won, against the top Americans of that era - Debi Thomas, Jill Trenary, Tiffany Chin, and Caryn Kadavy. You had to give the girl credit - she was one TOUGH competitor, always rising to the occasion and skating her best when it counted the most.

After Witt won her second Olympic title in 1988, followed by her fourth World title, she retired and enjoyed a successful pro skating career with televison specials and plenty of ice show tours. I remember her interview on the "Larry King Show" - probably 20 years or so ago - in which she came across as intelligent, friendly, and very good humored. When asked by King if she thought it was right for her to receive privileges as an East German athlete - a car, apartment, and some traveling money - Katarina said she felt it was right, as she worked very hard at her sport, and she brought honor to her country. Compared to the gazillions some athletes earn today, what Witt received was a mere pittance. I read the GDR paid her to prevent her from defecting to the West, which was probably what happened.

Katarina retired some years ago. She truly graced the ice during her era, and I thank her for providing her any fans with so many lovely memories.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I remember her being interviewed several times after the 88 Olympics and she seemed to be very charming. I think it was the media that wanted to portray her as something else. I thought she was a great showman.

fanniewaters

Rinkside
It was classic East vs. West propoganda. Witt 'showed' them up by winning her first goal to Hollywood film score highlights that topped the North Americans.

Like many other Americans, I generally supported Witt's American opponents. But when she turned pro, I began to appreciate what she brought to skating. She was obviously a hard worker and a warm personality. She and former rival Rosalynn Sumners became good friends during their years in Stars on Ice, and she seemed to get along with just about everyone else as well. She became an important part of the pro skating scene--does anyone remember the splendid job she did portraying Carmen in the "ice opera" that costarred her and the two Brians?--and I'm glad to see a thread praising her.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Katarina Witt :rock:

She was my first skating star, the queen of 1988 Olympics. I :bow: to her regal beauty and artistry on ice.

Now I'm so glad I didn't read American opinions of her at the time.

herios

Medalist
She became an important part of the pro skating scene--does anyone remember the splendid job she did portraying Carmen in the "ice opera" that costarred her and the two Brians?--and I'm glad to see a thread praising her.

I certainly do. I am an old-timer, who watches skating since...eons, back in those years I was living in Europe and watch only the big events like Euros and Worlds /Olympics, so i had to go to the movies to watch Carmen as for me was a highlight.
For those who didn't see it, it is captured on youtube:

Here is part 2 with "Habanera":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf8BDja7ryk&feature=related

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I have "Carmen on Ice" videotaped. Katarina was the ultimate actress on ice. Charming & gracious skater. Has she ever married?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah ... Carmen on Ice, one of my all time favorite skating recordings - what a cast!

silverpond

On the Ice
Like many other Americans, I generally supported Witt's American opponents. But when she turned pro, I began to appreciate what she brought to skating. She was obviously a hard worker and a warm personality. She and former rival Rosalynn Sumners became good friends during their years in Stars on Ice, and she seemed to get along with just about everyone else as well. She became an important part of the pro skating scene--does anyone remember the splendid job she did portraying Carmen in the "ice opera" that costarred her and the two Brians?--and I'm glad to see a thread praising her.

I am happy to write some nice comments about Katarina Witt, who remains as one of my favorite, all-time figure skaters. She was the embodiment of competitive determination, she skated to win, and she skated with charm, athleticism, and and enthusiasm. Whatever Katarina does, I'm sure she will be a success.

Katarina wrote her autobiography some years ago - in German. Does anyone know if an English version is available? I guess I could google.....!

I think Witt was the first ladies' singles skater who forced me to leave my comfort zone of supporting American skaters above all. I could easily make that leap in pairs and ice dancing because the Soviets and others, such as Torvill and Dean, were so good. And my first male skating idols were the British John Curry and the Canadian Toller Cranston. But with ladies, I felt it was almost my patriotic duty to root for Debi Thomas, Rosalynn Sumners, et al. In time I realized that I virtually had to admire Witt, even when I supported her American rivals, because she was such a strong competitor. I don't think she was technically or even artistically that much above everyone else (though she was darn good), but she was so mentally tough. She was just a ninja on the ice. In addition, she was warm and poised off the ice, obviously a good sport. When someone is that superior an example of an athlete in my favorite sport, it would be churlish of me not to enjoy her presence--so that is what I came to do. For many years, I have thought of her with both admiration and affection. I hope she's having a good life, because she's contributed a lot to her sport and to the skating community.

I have to point out that in my recollection the American television network covering the Olympics was very favorable in its portrayal of Witt. They enjoyed her glamor (in those days they called her a "Brooke Shields lookalike," a kind of shorthand for viewers just tuning in I guess). She always got good coverage both as an amateur and as a pro. Later on, because she was so fluent in English and so articulate, they interviewed her a lot, and her charm came through easily. I remember one witty thing she said as a pro: "In the early years, we skaters travel with our coaches. Later, we travel with our boyfriends. Later, we travel with our physical therapists."

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
"obviously a good sport"....hmmmm, I seem to remember that she cheated Debi Thomas out of her practice time when both were doing Carmen. Wonder what Debi Thomas thinks about her.

As for me, I detest her.

I didn't remember that. Sorry to hear it. I was thinking of her later behavior, in 1994 and as a touring pro.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I seem to remember that she cheated Debi Thomas out of her practice time when both were doing Carmen.
When it was announced that they both would skate Carmen, Debi lost in advance. Because it was clear that Katarina would do it better.

One thing is unforgivable- her words about herself and Debi before OG: "Every man prefers to look at a well-shaped woman instead of a rubber ball." At that time rubber was mainly of black color.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't have any details but from what I read here and a little general background, I think, unlike Debi who had a bright future ahead of her as evidenced by her off ice accomplishment now, for Katarina winning at skating was her only ticket out of a very difficult life. It was all important and maybe consuming so she tried harder and "worked it" more. She fought for what she wanted, even if it might not seem so classy at times. As she acquired success and her environment and existence improved, she turned out quite a classy lady afrer all. .

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When it was announced that they both would skate Carmen, Debi lost in advance. Because it was clear that Katarina would do it better.

One thing is unforgivable- her words about herself and Debi before OG: "Every man prefers to look at a well-shaped woman instead of a rubber ball." At that time rubber was mainly of black color.

Even more despicable.....I hope she apologized to Debi when she later acquired some more "class." Until I hear that, my opinion will remain.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Maybe in USA, but are you sure that Witt even knew of that meaning for "rubber ball"? I have never heard it and to me a rubber ball is just a round ball that keeps bouncing.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Why should she find it necessary to demean any competitor? Her skating should speak for itself. She's implying that no other competitor of hers is worth looking at.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sounds to me like she may have been referencing Thomas's athleticism (rubber ball = jumping bean = athletic skater). Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Debi Thomas fan and cheered soundly for her at the Olympics because she was my hero in some respects - a young lady with athleticism who wasn't afraid of being smart and letting people know (Stanford and Northwestern educated versus local community college) and who worked very hard to be "perfect" (good grades in undergrad to get into a top notch med school, National figure skating champion, World/Olympic champion/medallist) and perhaps put too much pressure on herself to win at everything.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whoa. I don't understand such judgement on a tremendously successful person with obvious admirable qualities and no real scandals in her rather public life, because of a comment she supposedly made decades ago at a very young age in a competitive mood and environment.

Every single one of us would be demned to Hell with such standard.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think we expect better of our Olympians....OK, maybe we can overlook trash-talking and chalk it up to immaturity....but depriving one of our chief competitors of her precious practice times.....I don't think so!