Assignment surprise...? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Assignment surprise...?

smia

Rinkside
I hope Armin gets the empty spot at Skate America. It's only fair given that he medaled at last year's event.

Guess I should be relieved that Iliush/Maisuradze got two events. I mean, their PB is very good at #8 but their World rank is pretty low due to the ISU's completely illogical system (I/M at #19 while Kemp/King, whose PB is #34, are ranked way ahead of them at #12). So I was slightly worried... Anyway, it's good to see they don't have to travel from Canada all the way to China in one week like last season! Disappointed that Gerboldt/Enbert and Stolbova/Klimov got only one event but S/K have a pretty good chance to get host pick for Cup of Russia. Volosozhar/Trankov said Russia would leave it open for them but it sounded like they didn't really want a third event. I hope so anyway, it's selfish to take up three when there are decent teams with only one.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Evan will definitely need a quad against Plushenko and Chan now.

It's kind of funny to see some American fan's desperate hope for Lysacek

I'm American and I don't see this happening. Maybe because I'm neutral when it comes to Evan. I say good luck to Evan. I hope he finds a quad.

Was Evan's foot broken?

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's no fun and you have past programs

Past progams with past rules.

The new rules give skaters (too many) points for quads that windup on the seat of their pants.

Reading the article that Lavender posted it says Evan has started serious training and will wait to see how it goes before any formal anouncement.

If Evan is working on quads he has said in the past the 4T bothers his old injury and a 4S might be a better way for him to go.

Plushy didn't do a triple flip in Vancouver possibly because it bothered his knee.

What would be worse in your opinion and what would set skating back further:

A. an olympic champion without a quad

B. an Olympic champion without a full set of triples

C. an Olympic champion without a full set of tiples and very weak or non-existent transitions.

For me "C" seems to send Men's skating back to the 80's and "B" is not much better.

Sort of kidding here and Lambiel is another skater who lost a jump due to injuries.

I still love to watch him skate with or without a good 3A (and a sometimes wonky 4T) :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Why is this a thread Evan vs Plu again?:unsure:

I m thrilled I/M got two events too, with such a field in Russia I was afraid they will be dropped, and they are my No2 team :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If Evan is working on quads he has said in the past the 4T bothers his old injury and a 4S might be a better way for him to go.

Evan barely leaves the ice on his Salchow. I don't think he will ever attempt a 4S in competition.

It will be interesting to see how much of a "reigning Olympic Champion" bonus he receives.

They must not have moved the seeds up when the top seeds withdrew. With Ando and Kim not participating, the top three in ladies become Kostner, Leonova and Czisny.

If he ISU had moved them up to the 1-2-3 seeds, then Czisny ahd Kostner would not face each other until the finals. But they are both at Skate America and at Eric Bompard.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Evan barely leaves the ice on his Salchow. I don't think he will ever attempt a 4S in competition.

It will be interesting to see how much of a "reigning Olympic Champion" bonus he receives.

You could be rigt but we do know he jumps high enough to do a 3S so he would have to jump a little higher.

Watching Chan and Brezina do quads it is not hard to see who jumps higher. But who was more successful last season?

As to the PCS they will be up there if he skates well. Joubert has lived on reputation PCS and he never won the OGM so why any surprise if the judges are kind to Evan?

There is nothing at all unique about that happening in skating,

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow, welcome back Evan. Odd no personal announcement from him or his team. I wonder if he is planning Sochi as well?

Jeez. This pent-up anger for Evan being the Oly Champ has stirred a few posters who are demanding a quad being the only element to be judged. It has to be personal. It's certainly against the CoP system as well a Evan. They should just blow it out their you know what and get back into the game of figure skating. Worlds will be in Nice next March, I believe. Let's see who gets the gold. Before that I would like to hear from the anti Evans say something about who they would like to see get that gold in Nice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So all that attack on Lysacek is premature? Has he or has he not launched his anti-quad campaign? Maybe his decision depends on if and when he feels sure of such campaign being well organized and ready like a well oiled machine.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Jeez. This pent-up anger for Evan being the Oly Champ has stirred a few posters who are demanding a quad being the only element to be judged. It has to be personal. It's certainly against the CoP system as well a Evan. They should just blow it out their you know what and get back into the game of figure skating. Worlds will be in Nice next March, I believe. Let's see who gets the gold. Before that I would like to hear from the anti Evans say something about who they would like to see get that gold in Nice.

I'm not sure if you mean me, but obviously, I'd like to see Chan defend his title.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Chan should probably win in Nice or Kozuka. I assume they are more likely to be there than Plushenko.

A quad is judged to be harder than all triples so an olympic champion with a quad is more impressive than one with a triple flip.

Also I hate COP. Mostly for the quads being worth a lot of points but not having any value like 2010 olympics.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

ITA. I wish Evan well and hope he stays healthy training all the way up to the GP events-if he still wants to compete by then. In fact, I hope and pray ALL the skaters stay healthy as the train up to the GP events. No more serious injuries please.

I'm totally psyched to see the Russian babies are assigned at the same events as the established Americans. That being said I'm most looking forward to Flatt/Nagasu at Skate Canada. :biggrin:

Krislite

Medalist
Chan should probably win in Nice or Kozuka. I assume they are more likely to be there than Plushenko.

A quad is judged to be harder than all triples so an olympic champion with a quad is more impressive than one with a triple flip.

[...]

It's not that simple. What is more "difficult" is unique to each skater. For someone like Patrick Chan or Stephane Lambiel, the quad is clearly "easier" than the triple Axel. For several men quads come easier than triple Axels or even another triple. I suspect we'll even see "more difficult" quads from Chan and the other men before we see all them have complete mastery of every triple jump.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I too believe he wouldnt say he is coming back unless he is fully ready, besides if he was skating all this time in shows how much of his triples will he have lost?Except maybe the 3axel. Since they didnt announce him as TBA in SA and TEB I believe he is coming back for sure.
And I m GLAD after the whole he is old- old- old campaing I have been reading here for skaters, that people are used to skaters now over 25 years old to compete.

pista04

On the Ice
Please work on the visual rep of the other events, pista. I got that one from a Japanese site and I was surprised they didn't have one for the Ladies. Maybe there is a real source that does but I'd rather count on you. :)

Im on it! =] May not get some good time to work on it until tomorrow though.