Japan Open | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japan Open

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's costume talk till all the videos show up.

So far it's mandatory red, white and black for both gals and guys. And black and gold for Amodio.

fscric

On the Ice
I like Daisuke's costume, I hope he would keep it for competitions.

I need to have a better view of Patrick's to see if I would like the design of the red pattern on his shirt.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The win of Chan&corps-de-ballet was just laughable. I mean literally. When his scores showed up, people laughed. Three falls was really funny. As well as the program itself. The music choice is powerful and passionate. It requires a serious skating, with emotions and great presentation. Instead of that we saw a funny face of Chan trying to perform some hispanic macho poses. Disney Zorro on Ice. If it was his original purpose, then the astronomic score for presentation and interpretation was just right.
Seriously, I do feel for his competotors. They know in advance that no matter how badly he skates, the judges will work it out by giving him abnormal PCS. And the best part is Patrick looks satisfied and happy. Seems like he is truly enjoying what is going on.

Dai made technical mistakes, that's the fact. But his PCS was too low methink. His musicality is incredible. He doesn't have any meaningless movement. Each gesture of every tip of finger matters. As if his body playing the music itself. His new image is unusual after everything we saw. A couple of days before JO he gave a humble interview where he said that he would be skating a new FS in a new style and asked for the support because he was very nervous. I think the fact that he got quite low PCS for the new stuff upset him the most. But once again, I don't really get why the score was low :rolleye:.

Young Russians did well, and for me they both won. Congrats to both, especially to Liza with a very nice debute on an adult level :thumbsup:.

Hanyu' jumps are crazy- super high with a long territory. As if he is never going to land. The guy with the wings, musicality of Dai and passion of Plush. What a cocktail! Of course he has a long way before he reaches the level of both but the fact is he does have the IT. He and Dai got the loudest ovations. Also, I was really surprised with the number of Russian flags- more than in Russia :laugh:. Even without Plush J-fans do love Russian skaters, especially if they come from the Mishin's camp :cool:.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I really love Dai's skating..and feel his musicality is second to none ( well, maybe second to Lambiel ). I 'm sure he'll be able to sell this program as only he can ,but I saw some distinctly un-blues-like hand movements ( like the lotus wrist thing..what for ?) and other odd European-ish ideas of what to do to blues...I,m not sure ...it's really hard to judge by this performance. I'll be waiting on tenterhooks to see, and hoping for the best for him.

And just a side note..there's a mountain of untapped blues instrumentals..Blues for Klook , again ?

Usually , I'd rather watch Dai than almost any other current skater, but I'm uncertain about this.

skatinginbc

Medalist
There has been so much projection and assignment of motives and agenda to my commentaries and observations, and the staging of unnecessary protests and arguments.

I always enjoy reading your posts as you bring new information, new perspective, useful links, and logical debates to the forum. I am surprised that so many people have seen Chan's new program and started to comment on it. I am not that resourceful, so I am still anxiously waiting. Debate is always fun. Without protests and arguments, it would make no difference from a fan site where everyone speaks the same.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
IIRC, he skated to Bésame mucho wearing this costume.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20111001-00000016-spnavip-spo.view-000

Yep, he had some stop and pose parts like last year's MJ.

After posting, I rewatched his performance. His stop and dance ( not pose ) part is not bad as last year's, but I want to know what Amodio himself thinks about this program.
Thanks :) I wonder how many CDs do Morozov and Nichol have between them? Can't be too many.

Amodio's costume is awful. Really, really tacky. Someone has to pry Florent away from Morozov whether he wants to or not, it's for his own good (V/T need to be rescued as well). I appreciate that he's more consistent now, but he's better than the crap choreography Morozov has been giving him.

I watched about a minute of Takahashi's program, but I can't stand the choice of music; if a skater wants to use Blues for Klook, can't it at least be for the SP? What little I saw didn't impress me all that much; he needs something edgier, it would be a much better fit for his style. Or he can play a character again. Just not this.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Thanks :) I watched about a minute of Takahashi's program, but I can't stand the choice of music.
Agree. I stopped watching in the midway, which is unusual as I am a fan of his skating. There is something lacking in that program that I cannot pinpoint.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh dear. That costume of Amodio's is just too too 5-year-old-going-out-for-Halloween-as-a-tiger. I hope he gets a different one for the GP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
skatinginbc said:
I always enjoy reading your posts as you bring new information, new perspective, useful links, and logical debates to the forum. I am surprised that so many people have seen Chan's new program and started to comment on it. I am not that resourceful, so I am still anxiously waiting. Debate is always fun. Without protests and arguments, it would make no difference from a fan site where everyone speaks the same.

Thanks. I really appreciate such feedback as I'm getting confused and asking myself questions.

Fandoms are supposed to be fun, I think. Rational debates are fun too. I don't do, nor do I understand, anti-fandom. I also don't do personal attacks.

In what you quoted, I was refering to arguing against ideas and motives attributed to me which I never wrote or intended, such as finding excuses for Chan, which didn't make sense whatsoever since he was the top scorer and definitely not in need of excuses. Another example was in Jeremy Abbott thread when suddenly someone addressed the "gay" issue quoting and responding to my post. I was totally confuzzled because such idea had never even crossed my mind and nothing in my post involved the issue. In many such cases, I don't respond, unless it's sort of fun or really needs clearing up. But to have such happening frequently is no fun and raises questions, about my writing as well as the misinterpreters and straw man fighters.

Back on topic, re Dai's program. it's early in the season and I trust he will polish it to his expressive best. I'm more concerned with the number of > and >> he incurred, which is not typical of Dai, except for his 4F.

Without watching Amodio's or anybody else's program besides Daisuke's, all I can say is that two things I have not liked about Amodio's competition programs are his stop-and-poses or dancing in place, and his facial expressions. I enjoy his show numbers and I think he does too. But all those staying in place during competions is cheating. I mean he does it 7 or 8 times in one LP, not once or twice at appropriate places in the music. I hope his new LP will be different. However, so far he gets away with it (as well as skating to lyrics) so why not? Morozov is no dummy.

Group photos. Fun.

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
Let's talk.

Dai made technical mistakes, that's the fact. But his PCS was too low methink. His musicality is incredible. He doesn't have any meaningless movement. Each gesture of every tip of finger matters. As if his body playing the music itself. His new image is unusual after everything we saw. A couple of days before JO he gave a humble interview where he said that he would be skating a new FS in a new style and asked for the support because he was very nervous. I think the fact that he got quite low PCS for the new stuff upset him the most. But once again, I don't really get why the score was low .

Thank you, thank you for saying this.Exactly my thought. I know that he made many technical mistake, but why his pcs is lower then Chan's who fell three times? I know and everybody knows that Chan's ss is really spectacular, but his PE,cho/interpretation is higher than Dai who is literally a genius to express every single notes that exists? Please, get back sanity Judges.

Anyway, this is just Japan open, so I do not worry about Dai's low score that much, but to be honest I am sick and tired of Chan's high PCS with multiple falls. Even on TES side, Chan's 4t that he fell on it got much higher points than Dai's because his is UR,(or DG, sorry I do not remember too well.)
When Chan falls, yes he always rotates in the air fully, but not other skaters. Is this believable? No way.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I havent seen any other program but I just loved the Dai program:love:, is SO much better than last season mambo/latin whatever programs, and I m glad he didnt do once more something like this. I mean I was glued on the screen for 4++ minutes, he contantly moves and the choreo is inventive. And I didnt even notice the mistakes until the very end. I think he does this music justice, (I dont think Lambiel could have grasped this music better)

skatinginbc

Medalist
When Chan falls, yes he always rotates in the air fully, but not other skaters. Is this believable? No way.
Can you cite specific incidents to back up your argument? Otherwise, it sounds a little silly to me, giving an impression that you were being emotional rather than rational. It sounds like you were angry simply because Chan is so talented, able to rotate fully before he falls, which is hard to do for other skaters. I am not saying your thoughts were wrong (nor do I know if they were right). I just wish there were "bones" (hard evidence) to support your logic (if there was one).

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I don't know Zazoui well enough, but do others see her influence in Dai's LP? I don't know what I think, truthfully. I tend to find foreign interpretations of other specific cultural idioms quite fascinating, and Dai's no exception. I also love the fact that he's trying to stretch and better himself. But there were a couple moments that just felt a little... false? I don't know. I also agree with Buttercup - this music is better SP music than LP.