Biggest Skating Busts of the 2000s | Golden Skate

Biggest Skating Busts of the 2000s

Reginald

Match Penalty
I always think that is is interesting how some skaters are billed as the nest Michelle Kwan, and then turn out to nothing.

Which of the following skaters was the biggest "bust?"

Ann-Patrice McDonough, Bebe Liang, Caroline Zhang

Ann-Patrice McDonough kinda reached her apex after she won Junior Worlds in 2002 (after winning a silver the year before). Everone thought that she would suceed Michelle Kwan (especially since Michelle was not supposed to be competing in the fall 2002 GP series).

Bebe Liang had her biggest hype at the 2003 Nationals. She was so young and so promising. Yet, she never finished higher than fourth at US nationals.

Caroline Zhang was thoight by many to be the next champion. Everybody was like "watch her." If you were a casual skating fan watching in 2008, you might tune in now and expect Caroline to be the top US Ladies skater. Not so.

Any opinions? Please be verbose.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Elene Gedenashvili......

Oh, wait, that's not the type of bust you mean. : P

It seems like there have been several Russian skaters who were supposed to be great, but didn't end up doing much. Viktoria Volchkova comes to mind. I wouldn't call Carolina Kostner a bust, per say, but she's never quite lived up to her potential. I agree with those listed above, as well, though I think Ann-Patrice and Bebe had a really tough field to compete against in the US, and that contributed to their doing less internationally.

As for the mens', Stephen Carriere has yet to live up to his potential, and it seems like Parker Pennington was around at nationals for years and years but just never had a break out season. Nobunari Oda has come close to doing something great several times, but he should learn to NEVER deviate from his program. It just doesn't work for him.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang for sure. The way she was being hyped made one think she would eventually become a world champion. Mirai too, to an extent. She has been successful, but I don't think she's QUITE lived up to her hype either. Emily Hughes is also another US lady who I don't think did as well as she was expected to by fans/the public.

On the mens' side, there was Emanuel Sandhu, who was very talented but just couldn't deliver. I also thought people were looking at a bunch of Russian boys (Griazev, Lutai, Voronov, Borodulin, etc.) trying to figure out who would be the next Plushenko or Yagudin, and none of them stepped up - except maybe Gachinski is starting to now, but his world championship medal is thought of as a fluke by some still.

The only pair I can think of that kind of were a bust compared to expectations are Dube/Davison. After they won the world bronze medal, they were thought of as World and Olympic contenders, but could never get on another podium and often gave lackluster performances with mistakes (compared to their '08 Worlds one, anyway). On the dance side, I would say that Khokhlova/Novitski kind of had the same thing happen to them, fizzling out after their world bronze and expectations of them being an excellent dance team because they won a world medal and were Russian. That was less their fault though than the fault of Novitski's injury, I think, and they were still a good team but just didn't quite live up to expectations.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
On the mens' side, there was Emanuel Sandhu, who was very talented but just couldn't deliver.

I never got the hype surrounding Sandhu. Yes, he could jump, but he always looked so awkward. He was supposed to have some amazing dance and ballet training, but he continually jutted his chin out, and it made his posture just awful. I can't believe he could have ever gotten away with that in any ballet class.

I loved Sandhu and never noticed any awkwardness. I'll have to look again. It was so frustrating to watch him because he not only had great movement (to my uneducated eye, at least) and splendid footwork, but he even had a quad! And then he'd fall apart like a puppet whose strings had been cut. I'd say he's the top "heartbreak kid" on my list.

In fact, I'd rather use the term "heartbreaker" rather than "bust" for this category of skaters. It seems unkind and dismissive to think of people so young, who work so hard, like a product that has been over-advertised and poorly thought out, like the new Coca Cola or the Edsel car. It's not even a skater's fault if he or she is overhyped. It's the fault of the media or of fans. It's entirely understandable to see some clever youngster and immediately envision "the next Michelle" (or the next Yagudin, maybe), but we know deep down that such skaters don't come along every day.

Once we make that distinction, I'd cite Sandhu, of course, and probably Zhang. My reasons for mentioning Zhang is that as far as I know, no one has found such fault with Liang's or McDonough's basic technique. Zhang, on the other hand, seems to have developed a flawed jump technique and of course very slow speed across the ice, so that once she wasn't a little wisp, she couldn't coast along on her gorgeous spins and ease of lifting into the air. However, I still hope for her improvement!

In some ways, though I hate to bring it up, Kimmie Meissner is the biggest heartbreaker of all, because she went from surprise world champ to an inability to get much of anywhere. I'm sure that's a heartbreak to her as well as to us.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Kimmie Meissner comes to mind. She went from being World Champion in 2006 to irrelevancy in 2008 to being out of the sport in 2010. All in 4 short years. Back in 2004-2005, she seemed poised to vie for titles for years with Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim. And while those two fulfilled their promise, Kimmie didn't. Some might argue she isn't a "bust" since she did in fact become World Champion, however, I think most people expected much more from her.

Many of the U.S. ladies who excelled as juniors in the 2000s were busts. Ann Patrice McDonough, Emily Hughes, and Caroline Zhang have been mentioned. I would add to the list Katy Taylor. And the jury is still out on Mirai Nagasu. Another American bust from the 2000s (although more on the senior level) was Jennifer Kirk. Lovely skater who sadly could never reach her potential. Seems to be a theme with American ladies this decade.

I don't agree about Kimmie because to me she's an overachiever. She's a sweet, hardworking girl who was never an exciting skater. She earned her titles and should be very proud of them, but she never generated the excitement that Mirai already has, with far fewer achievements but a lot more talent.

Sandhu makes sense to me. He had such special gifts but couldn't pull himself together.

Zhang - let's see in another year or two. It's too soon to write her off.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I think the major reason for Kimmie's slide was definitely more physical than mental. She simply grew into a body shape that wasn't conducive to competitive skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I loved Sandhu and never noticed any awkwardness. I'll have to look again. It was so frustrating to watch him because he not only had great movement (to my uneducated eye, at least) and splendid footwork, but he even had a quad! And then he'd fall apart like a puppet whose strings had been cut. I'd say he's the top "heartbreak kid" on my list.

In fact, I'd rather use the term "heartbreaker" rather than "bust" for this category of skaters. It seems unkind and dismissive to think of people so young, who work so hard, like a product that has been over-advertised and poorly thought out, like the new Coca Cola or the Edsel car. It's not even a skater's fault if he or she is overhyped. It's the fault of the media or of fans. It's entirely understandable to see some clever youngster and immediately envision "the next Michelle" (or the next Yagudin, maybe), but we know deep down that such skaters don't come along every day.

:agree:

What goes bust is often our own over expectation and pre-mature hype, which also acts as a double edged sword on the young skaters, either as a great motivation, or pressure too hard to overcome mentally and/or physically.

Youngsters without super mental and emotional strength can easily turn into headcases when growing up and developing under such intense public scrutiny. Promising Junior talents is no guarantee of Senior success. Girls, especially, seem to have two careers going - pre and post puberty, which exerts greater effects on their bodies. Some girls even reach a pinacle such as an OGM or WC before major changes in their bodies and their skating skills diminish forever. Those who manage to continue with the second phase of their careers, some with more initial struggles than others, can then be expected to become successful mature skaters such as Kwan, Arakawa, Ando, Kostner, and Rochette. They may have their ups and downs, but they can overcome temporay setbacks and have overall dependable results and longivity. Mao, Czisny, Mirai, Flatt, etc. may still join these real Ladies.

I would very much like to see more support for young Ladies than writing them off in favor of emerging brilliant little girls with uncertain futures. I hope we don't ever see a series of Tara Lapinski.

I love Sandhu too and consider him one of the greatest talents ever. Despite his inability to deliver two great programs in one major competition, he's achieved a very respectable level of success, offered much enjoyment, and made his mark in figure skating. I remember all the Russian coaches with all their cameras on him.

Last edited:

Reginald

Match Penalty
To me, Kimmie Meissner seems more of a "one-hit wonder" than a bust. At least she got one World Championship.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm thinking for early 2000s, McDonough and Kirk in the US, and Elena Sokolova (despite her world silver in '03). McDonough never quite got there and Kirk made 3 world teams on the back of Kwan & Cohen but never could make much of a splash there. As for Sokolova, big things were expected for her, especially after coming so close to MK at '03 Worlds but they just never happened.

More obscure, but worth noting- Yebin Mok, a US skater who was very briefly on the national scene in the early 2000s

Late 2000s- Caroline Zhang (rapid descent after doing so well in 2008). Hyped to the hilt and barely anything to show for it. Worse than Cohen who at least won world/oly medals although no gold.

If we're talking 2000s only, 2010 does not count and therefore we must include Alyssa Czisny in the bunch. Flashes of potential in 2005 and 2007, backing into a National championship before fading into obscurity again at Worlds. She blew not one, but TWO solid chances at becoming an Olympian.

Last edited:
:agree:

What goes bust is often our own over expectation and pre-mature hype, which also acts as a double edged sword on the young skaters, either as a great motivation, or pressure too hard to overcome mentally and/or physically.

Youngsters without super mental and emotional strength can easily turn into headcases when growing up and developing under such intense public scrutiny. Promising Junior talents is no guarantee of Senior success. Girls, especially, seem to have two careers going - pre and post puberty, which exerts greater effects on their bodies. Some girls even reach a pinacle such as an OGM or WC before major changes in their bodies and their skating skills diminish forever. Those who manage to continue with the second phase of their careers, some with more initial struggles than others, can then be expected to become successful mature skaters such as Kwan, Arakawa, Ando, Kostner, and Rochette. They may have their ups and downs, but they can overcome temporay setbacks and have overall dependable results and longivity. Mao, Czisny, Mirai, Flatt, etc. may still join these real Ladies.

I would very much like to see more support for young Ladies than writing them off in favor of emerging brilliant little girls with uncertain futures. I hope we don't ever see a series of Tara Lapinski.

I love Sandhu too and consider him one of the greatest talents ever. Despite his inability to deliver two great programs in one major competition, he's achieved a very respectable level of success, offered much enjoyment, and made his mark in figure skating. I remember all the Russian coaches with all their cameras on him.

I agree with everything, you won't be surprised to hear, and I especially like your statement about supporting Ladies "rather than writing them off in favor of emerging brilliant little girls"...with uncertain futures or certain ones! I'm always sad when some poster says that it's time for an older skater to get out of the way to make room for younger ones. Anyone who has something to contribute should contribute as long as the spirit moves her! (Or him, though it's usually said of ladies.)

camion

On the Ice
I hate to use the word "bust", but I guess for myself, it would be Bebe. There was a lot of buzz about her, but she never got the major titles. I think Kimmie did skate to her potential because she was more about being the skater with a great attitude earning her way to the top rather than being seen as a sheer skating whiz. And two national titles and a world title (even post-Olympic year) isn't too shabby.

I kind of saw Caroline being billed more as the next Sasha Cohen, but I don't want to assess her career yet because she is still young and could achieve some success like Alissa.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ladies champions used to be grown ups with long careers before jumps became the focus of figure skating. Girls rush to do the jumps, maybe even with the mindset of doing them while they can because there is no telling what will happen once puberty hits. The early jump training often leads to poor foundation, improper techniques, and proneness to injuries, all problems to deal with sooner or later, sometimes resulting in "busts".

Boys are lucky that they just get bigger and stronger as they grow. However, mental toughness is gender blind and too much pressure is equally hard on them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
BeBe did fall short but was she hyped like Zhang? Like Cohen? Don't seem to remember.

And about Meissner- it's not bust so much as it is flash-in-the-pan, or fluke. Like Big Hughes at the Salt Lake Games, she got lucky and had the SOHL when her competitors, who could beat her on any normal day, failed to rise to the occasion. I didn't really think either of them would ever perform at that level again, but their declines were still staggering.

But I would not say they underachieved, which is what "bust" implies. There are several skaters that belong in that category, and I've already mentioned a few up above. I suppose you could put Bebe in there, but I would say pre-2010 Czisny is a bigger one. I'd even argue Wagner is another, with all her blown SPs over the years.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bebe was a tiny little thing when I first saw her, but after she grew, she ended up with a boxy, not skating-friendly shape that made it hard to rotate her jumps. I always view her as a victim of growing up.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I always think that is is interesting how some skaters are billed as the nest Michelle Kwan, and then turn out to nothing.
It's a matter of how we fans should remember the athlete/artist (skater), a matter of our attitude, no?
Those sparkles of junior skaters should be remembered as marvels, regardless of how his/her senior career unfolded (or, is unfolding).
Let's not get dissapointed by their senior "non-success"; let's enjoy the brilliances they left for us to rewatch from the video archives!

It must be disappointing for the skaters themselves just to find out you couldn't reach what you dreamed of, we can easily imagine their pain. I can't call Ota or Sawada or Suizu "disappointments", the memories of their beautiful moments are in my treasure box.

It just so happened today that I accidentally read Jennifer Kirk's Facebook note on March 30 titled
"I went skating and felt compelled to write about it!"

No one never turns out into "nothing".
A recommend.