South Korea to Host 2018 Winter Olympic Games | Page 5 | Golden Skate

South Korea to Host 2018 Winter Olympic Games

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Well, Czech Republic and Poland were quite eager for the NATO Missile Shield systems on their soil - and that would certainly mean foreign military presence.
Come to think of it, my relatives in Germany have nothing but positive things to say about American military bases there.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Bases in allies' lands are generally by mutual agreement and mostly for mutual benefits. Things are very different when the power is all on one side. In many countries, including the US, politicians and their foreign policies often do not reflect their people's values. In some nations, those in power do as they wish, but using brute force is a very crude way to control the population. In the democratic US, politicians and big businesses are experts in very sophisticated mind control and propaganda.

American criminals, and psycopaths common in business and politics, are very capable of doing really nasty things to fellow Americans. They don't all automatically become altruistic and benevolent when dealing with foreigners or when they join the military. It is natural most foreign dealings are for self interests, but the real purposes and the means to achieve them vary from fair to downright evil, hidden from the American people. All those exciting covert actions don't just happen in novels and movies! The book, Confessions of An Economic Hitman, have opened many eyes. Here is the brief illustration and here's an interview of its author John Perkins.

Drug money has been financing the nation of US for a long time. Catherine Austin Fitts is a very smart lady and Narcodollars for Beginners: How the Money Works in the Illicit Drug Trade is a fascinating must read, especially in the off season while waiting for the GP to start. :) This is her story.

There are too many things done in their names that American don't, and wouldn't want to, know. Sometimes they are shocked at what is revealed about some past actions, but it's hard to accept what is done under their own watch by the people they vote for. Also much is done by non government organizations, including big corperations and special interest organizations. Almost all African coups and wars, for example, are financed by the West, be they private groups or governments. Often weapons are supplied to both sides by the same people. The West provides cheap weapons and Africans provide cheap lives. The continent is portrayed as desperately poor and people hopelessly ignorant. The truth is it is a continent extremely rich in all kinds of increasingly scarse natural resources coveted by the rich nations, which is why they are being kicked off Earth's life boat by being left to die with AIDS, wars, and famines, which are often induced or ignored.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
That is what war is.
It looks like your folks weren't among those who were killed or ripped. Otherwise, I am sure you would have a different opinion.

Korean war was the direct product of the Cold war. It cost a lot to the nation but they are still one and the same folk. If they want to compete as united team at Winter OG 2018, let it be. If they want to establish diplomatic relationships or make a next step to become one country again, it's up to them to decide. The less foreigners interfere into Korean reunification, the better.
And he/she's gone so far as to say "take your help back" because I mentioned "money", which was only a part of the aid package.
The whole and only concept of help and charity is voluntary and gratuitous, given and received without cost, obligation, return or recompense. Many givers stay anonymous and are not looking for any recognition. Those who can't give it free may take the whole aid package back. The US didn't do any more to Tohoku than the rest of the world. The difference is that the rest of the world is doing it with grace.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
About foreign troops permanently garrisoned on your county's home soil, I don't think any nation's citizens like it.
Especially when the reasons are ridiculous, if not to say offensive:

"As for the US presence in Japan, well, you see, the Japanese went about in the early 20th century conquering all of Asia, part of which involved destroying a rather famous U.S. naval base."

I see. The US is protecting Asia from the possible Japanese military aggression. Japan has to pay forever for Pearl Habour. Surely they didn't already do that in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Lovely. :biggrin:

Well, Czech Republic and Poland were quite eager for the NATO Missile Shield systems on their soil - and that would certainly mean foreign military presence.
Come to think of it, my relatives in Germany have nothing but positive things to say about American military bases there.
Hardly a fair comparison. Eastern Europe was under the communist ruling for 40 years. When the non-Soviet troops came, they were seen as some kind of guarantor that the communism wouldn't come back. Japan doesn't have this story. The bases in Japan were established as the direct result of WWII. Now, when their analogs are inexistable in Europe, there is no excuses for the US bases to exist in Japan. The war is over. Bye.

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
I don't see what all these discussed for the last 1-2 pages have anything to do with Pyeongchang winning the bid, especially the last a few posts.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'm still trying to figure out how all this Japan/war/I hate the USA stuff, ties back to South Korea winning the 2018 Winter Olympics.
Perhaps the mods should consider pruning this thread and we start fresh....

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well i just say to these countries griping about our bases in their countries don't come begging us when China or North Korea invade you. You're on your own boys.

Last edited: