Happy Birthday Michelle Kwan! | Golden Skate

Happy Birthday Michelle Kwan!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I sing a song of Kwan, to honor the Kween on this, the day of her birth: :biggrin:

And yea, all those in the Land of Kwan did fall unto their knees, blessing the anniversary of the day the heavens opened up and the Kwan was bestowed upon the earth, 31 summers ago. The glorious Kwan ruled the realm of the figure skaters for nigh a decade, amassing national, world and Olympic medals during her reign...bequeathing overmany treasured moments, inspiring future skaters and champions, such as the illustrious Queen Yu-Na, who resides in the Land of Kim. Yea, the Kween left a fullsome legacy in her wake...but naught lasts forever.

Forsooth, the Kwan hath departed from the Land of Kwan for nigh 6 summers! The absence of the Kween hath been felt by her loyal and humble subjects. No longer dost the sun shine as brightly, nor dost the song sound as sweet...Thus the Kween departed from her land, taking her resplendent gifts and talents, pure light and flat-out awesomeness to share with the peoples of other lands.

Yea, the Kwan hath left her Kwandom, but the marvelous gifts she bequeathed during her reign will live on forever in the hearts and minds of those who love her dearly. And on this day, we remember the birth of the Kwan and raise our voices in adoration and cry: Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! All hail the Kween! All hail the Kween! Long live the Kween! Long live the Kween!

Happy Birthday to the Kween! :hb::hb::hb:

I'm so happy someone started a birthday thread for Michelle! I was wondering where to attach a birthday greeting, and now I don't have to improvise. Happy birthday, Michelle, and may each year be better than the preceding one.

By the way, I think today is also the birthday of Gustav Mahler, the composer who wrote the Adagietto (from his Fifth Symphony) skated by Virtue and Moir for their OGM-winning long program, and earlier by Gordeyeva in memory of her husband. So he's a skating composer!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday Michelle and thank you for all the great skating memories you have provided to us fans.
Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Jo1

Rinkside
Happy birthday Michelle! May your life be filled with happiness and fulfullment!!!

Jo1

Rinkside
Happy Birthday Michelle. May your life be filled with happiness and fulfullment and Thank you for all the wonderful years !!!!

Reginald

Match Penalty
Michelle Kwan is now 31 years old. Come back, Michelle; you can still win an olympic gold medal.

icesk8luv4e

Spectator
Happy Birthday Michelle!!!

10 years later I look back and remember she is the reason I began to watch figure skating and 10 years later my love for the sport remains just as strong with the simple void of seeing her skate.
I was the other day watching all of her performances over the years, her presence, her artistry, her ability to perform, and her ability to take audiences to places no other skater ever has will always be remembered. My heart and my mind will never forget the feeling of joy she spread to the world and to me during my darkest hours, watching her skate lifted my spirits. Now reminiscing her greatness does the same.

christinaskater

Medalist
Happy birthday to, in my opinion, the greatest figure skater of all time!

No one has touched my heart and has made me fall in love with skating like you did!

We have traversed your journey of emotions, from the ups and downs and we've loved every single moment where you brought pure joy and love into our lives when we see you skate. How you made the world stop from focusing on problems in order to view and feel your charisma when you are on the ice!

silverpond

On the Ice
Yes, indeed! Happy Birthday, Michelle. Many of us remember her as a skinny 12-year-old who competed at the senior US Nationals in 1993 and finished a surprising 6th place. Michelle had taken and passed the senior tests, while her coach Frank Carroll was away, and when he returned, he found out he was now coaching a senior level skater! Michelle stepped up to the plate that year and represented the US at the World Championships, and finished 8th, which assured the US two skaters for the 1994 Olympic Games.

Michelle blossomed into a lovely young woman by the 1996 season and won her first World title skating to "Salome". The transformation was stunning. Her technical skills were matched with lovely artistry and choreography. Kwan represented the United States with class for more than a decade. I was proud to have her represent my country!

I was always disappointed for Michelle that she never won an Olympic gold medal. Silver at Nagano and bronze at Salt Lake City were great achievements, but not the gold medal she wanted.

All the best to you, Michelle. You are a class act of the first order!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
A belated Happy Birthday message to Michelle, welcome to the fabulous 30s!!

You are a world class lady, and hope you have another world class year :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, indeed! Happy Birthday, Michelle. Many of us remember her as a skinny 12-year-old who competed at the senior US Nationals in 1993 and finished a surprising 6th place. Michelle had taken and passed the senior tests, while her coach Frank Carroll was away, and when he returned, he found out he was now coaching a senior level skater! Michelle stepped up to the plate that year and represented the US at the World Championships, and finished 8th, which assured the US two skaters for the 1994 Olympic Games.

Michelle blossomed into a lovely young woman by the 1996 season and won her first World title skating to "Salome". The transformation was stunning. Her technical skills were matched with lovely artistry and choreography. Kwan represented the United States with class for more than a decade. I was proud to have her represent my country!

I was always disappointed for Michelle that she never won an Olympic gold medal. Silver at Nagano and bronze at Salt Lake City were great achievements, but not the gold medal she wanted.

All the best to you, Michelle. You are a class act of the first order!
A small correction Michelle skated at the 1994 Worlds and finished high enough to ensure the US two skaters at the 1995 Worlds. Still no small feat for a 13 year old.

I remember watching her skate at those Worlds; wasn't that the competition held in Japan, which Yuka Sato won? (Another forever favorite of mine.) I remember how anxious I was when Michelle skated. Harding (no surprise) and Kerrigan weren't there, and I think Nicole Bobek was our other skater. Bobek didn't do well, as I recall, and it was all up to this thirteen-year-old pipsqueak to get us two places by finishing in the top ten. And she finished eighth. That was the first but not by any means the last time Michelle moved me to tears.