Patrick Chan has a new quad, ready to defend title | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan has a new quad, ready to defend title

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, Patrick is now in Beijing, getting ready for Artistry On Ice.

With Jeffery and Tu Ly who is Patrick's costume designer till Sochi 2014, and has been his groupie, travelling with him to competitions and shows and twitting pictures. I'm curious what he has designed for Patrick's new show number Moondance as shown on the AOI Program. Can't wait to see Pchiddy show some Ballroom dancing moves in Moondance.

Sasha is hurt in training and won't skate in Beijing but has assured Shen and Zhao she will participate in the Shanghai and Taipei shows.

I'm waiting for someone to start the Artistry On Ice thread.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow what a talent!

Yep, he basically just did it on the first try though he was harnessed. Landed it independantly on the 3rd jump.

Patrick is a phenomenal talent and I've read so many young skaters from the US, Russia, Japan, China, and of course Canada, admiring and modeling after him. I've been thinking for while if his development process has been studied and evaluated by coaches. In skating skills vs jumps, there are artistic skaters who try to add jumps and there are jumpers who try to develop artistry. When Mr. Colson took a young Patrick in, he did not want to see his jumps or hear of them. Patrick had to start with figures. Once he had developed his outstanding skating skills, jumps were added year by year by design. The development program is contiued even after Mr. Colson's death. 4T was scheduled for 2009-10 but was delayed due to injury. Now he is picking up quads like nobody else. I believe he has been able to learn and land his quads so fast and easily because of the foundation of excellent skating skills. As well, his jump technics are so good that he hardly ever receive UR and edge calls.

The patience, the step by step learning, and the long term thinking in Patrick Chan's development program and his dazzling rise should merit attention and study.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I choose to remain skeptical regarding the 4S, in order to prevent the off-season from becoming too long waiting for it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good strategy, IP. :)

Patrick usually debuts his new programs at Liberty Skate but this summer he is doing shows in Asia. Got to pay his bills. We just have to wait. A new season is always exciting.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I'm not good at the jumps thing....so is 4S more difficult than 4T? What's the diff in terms of points?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
4S is worth 0.20 points more than 4T (10.30) and is a jump that has been landed in competition. Patrick had asked others at his training rink and 4F was nominated to be his next quad so I was a little surprised he has done 4S instead. I too think he likes and does 3F better than 3S. Takahashi has attempted 4F but has always underrotated and two footed it so it's not in the record book yet.

eta. Click on ISU Communication 1611 on this page to see the point values of jumps on Pg 2.

3A - 8.5
4T - 10.3
4S -10.5
4Lo - 12.0
4F -12.3
4Lz -13.6
4A - 15.0

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm not good at the jumps thing....so is 4S more difficult than 4T? What's the diff in terms of points?

Because the entirety of the lift and rotation come from the entry edge instead of the toe assist, many skaters find the sal harder than the toe (but there is another group of skaters who have easier time with edge jumps, so who's to say?).

First ratified 4S was Tim Goebel and it's the ONLY quad ratified that a lady has landed.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think all skaters should follow Patrick's lead and think long-term. When everyone is done skating, I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick will still be healthier than his former competitors, since he didn't rush to jumping like everyone else.

L

lowtherlore

He’s amazing. Watching him live immediately made me a fan. He has excellent skating and now he has jumps. A reliable second quad would help stabilize his 3a even more. I think he will be dominant up to Sochi, if he can stay healthy (knock on wood).

jettasian

Match Penalty
4S is worth 0.20 points more than 4T (10.30) and is a jump that has been landed in competition. Patrick had asked others at his training rink and 4F was nominated to be his next quad so I was a little surprised he has done 4S instead. I too think he likes and does 3F better than 3S. Takahashi has attempted 4F but has always underrotated and two footed it so it's not in the record book yet.

eta. Click on ISU Communication 1611 on this page to see the point values of jumps on Pg 2.

3A - 8.5
4T - 10.3
4S -10.5
4Lo - 12.0
4F -12.3
4Lz -13.6
4A - 15.0

Thanks for the info.
I've been watching figure skating since Kurt Browning era, yet, I still can NOT tell the jumps other than the axel. Yeah, I'm that bad.

So if Patrick can do 4F, why not do that instead of 4S??

Another questions, over the years, there are many quads have been done successfully, what kind of quads were they? Has anyone done 4S? 4Lo? 4F? 4Lz?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Patrick hasn't had 4F yet, jettasian. People were just saying that with the way he was jumping 3F, he could easily do 4F.

Patrick is an exciting skater. With the speed like this, I won't be surprised if he has 3 kinds of quads and 4 quads in total in one competition by Sochi.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Another questions, over the years, there are many quads have been done successfully, what kind of quads were they? Has anyone done 4S? 4Lo? 4F? 4Lz?

Only 4T and 4S have been ratified. 4T is the most common and typical discussion about who has "the quad" references this jump. 4S was first landed by Tim Goebel and then Miki Ando. I think Florent Amodio and Brian Joubert have also had them ratified.

4Lz has been attempted by Mike Weiss and maybe Plushy but not successful. Weiss's were rotated but 2 footed.

4F has been attempted by Takahashi. The last attempt was UR and 2 footed and fallen on.

No one has attempted 4Lo in competition. There was video of Mao Asada working on one but it was badly UR.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
From my compilation of last season's quads, Reynolds, who actually had an injury, attempted 4S in every competition, landing two 4S and one 4S+3T with +GOE. Brezina (+0.29) and Fernandez (-0.43) also landed them at the World Championships which saw many successful quads, including the only successful, and beautiful, quad (4T) from Kozuka whose 2 others received -GOE. Joubert did his best there too, having landed only another one with +GOE all season. (I don't know if he has ever landed a 4S.) I joked about the special ice in Moscow.

I think Florent Amodio and Brian Joubert have also had them ratified.

I don't think Amodio has a quad of any kind ratified. He talks about having 2 quads in practice but, as far as I know, has never even attempted any in competition. His coach Morozov has deemed them not necessary or ready. We might see them in the new season.

I don't think Joubert has a 4S either. Somebody may set me straight.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Only 4T and 4S have been ratified. 4T is the most common and typical discussion about who has "the quad" references this jump. 4S was first landed by Tim Goebel and then Miki Ando. I think Florent Amodio and Brian Joubert have also had them ratified.
Brian Joubert landed a 4S at 2006 CoR (the last time a skater did a 3-quad LP) but not since; he popped a couple of attempts later on and eventually said he'd focus on doing two 4Ts in his LP, an ambition that was derailed by his knee injury last season - he last did two at 2010 Worlds, IIRC. I think Amodio has landed 4S in practice and possible nationally, but I can't remember him doing so in international competition.

As noted in this thread and elsewhere, Michal Brezina, Javier Fernandez, and Kevin Reynolds have all landed 4S, with Reynolds the only skater to do so more or less consistently in recent years. According to this Wikipedia entry (short on references in some cases, unfortunately), the retired skaters who have landed 4S are Ilia Klimkin, Min Zhang and Timothy Goebel.

Hard to believe that after the Olympics the outlook for quads in competition seemed so discouraging, isn't it? It's good to see so many skaters working on, attempting, and landing quads.

ETA: Amodio has attempted 4S both at French Nats and the French Masters, but as far as I can tell, he received -GOE each time.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Amodio's LP protocol from the French Nationals is strange. His 4S received -2 GOE from all judeges but the overall deduction is -3.20 with no apparent calls from the TP.

Ooops, that's from 2009 and jumps also had different BV.

Here's 2010 protocol, no quads from Amodio and Joubert, who had a 4T+2t in the SP with -1.33. Besseghier and Preaubert did try 4T in the LP with different results.

Ooops again for missing the link, now provided. :eek::

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Amodio's LP protocol from the French Nationals is strange. His 4S received -2 GOE from all judeges but the overall deduction is -3.20 with no apparent calls from the TP.
Not at all strange. Quad GOEs were different at the time: +GOEs were worth one point but -GOEs were worth 1.6 points. So -2 from the judges translates to -3.2, and -3 was -4.8. Here's a sample protocol - scroll down to Jeremy Abbott's scores and you can see it.

I think changing the values so that +/-GOEs are the same is one of the factors that has contributed to the quad resurgence.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Patrick hasn't had 4F yet, jettasian. People were just saying that with the way he was jumping 3F, he could easily do 4F.

Patrick is an exciting skater. With the speed like this, I won't be surprised if he has 3 kinds of quads and 4 quads in total in one competition by Sochi.

Well, if that's the case then why not try the 4F instead of 4S? Besides 4F is worth more than 4S. Besides, if he can do 4F, he will be the first, right? I don't see his logic to try 4S instead of 4F.