Bryce Davison Retires-sort of | Golden Skate

Bryce Davison Retires-sort of

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how Bryce was doing. A little sad that he decided to scale back his rehabilitation, but I guess with no partner there wasn’t really any reason to push it. I hope he doesn’t give up entirely and will look for someone new to skate with once his knee is fully healed. In the meantime – best of luck to him with his new coaching gig!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hers's someone who obviously loves skating and not ready to leave. He is the funny dude featured in Pchiddy's Torino video. In a hilarious but now ironic segment, he was presented as Patrick's forever roommate until they got married. Life has its own way but one never knows ahead of time what an event, even a seemingly bad one, will lead to. I wish the best for him to happen still.

callalily

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how Bryce was doing. A little sad that he decided to scale back his rehabilitation, but I guess with no partner there wasn’t really any reason to push it. I hope he doesn’t give up entirely and will look for someone new to skate with once his knee is fully healed. In the meantime – best of luck to him with his new coaching gig!

I think that if his knee could have been rehabbed more quickly he'd have probably given Caitlin Yankowskas a call. She is an excellent potential partner and is free now, plus Bryce has dual citizenship.

My guess is that his knee is a long way from being ready for the pounding of triple jumps (and may never be). Much as I enjoy his skating, I'm glad that he's being conservative - I think that's a smart move, partner or no partner. I'm sure he wants to lead an active lifestyle and he'll need that knee for more than just skating.

Best wishes to him!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^

Well, just how successful Fedor will be with that is yet to be seen! :biggrin:

Well, Bryce doen't have the same mother and/or partner as Fedor. ;) OTOH, he's younger and he's had much more success than Fedor ever did.

Anyway, it's up to Bryce, his knee, and his circumstances to decide. I hope it all works out well for him. I'll hold this thought.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Not to mention, dance will pound your knees just like singles and pairs. People think that just because there aren't triple/quad jumps in dance, it's not as demanding on your knees, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Maybe this is the best. He can rest fully--and be back in two-three years. What's the rush? Shen/Zhao won Olympic gold in their early/late thirties!

Also, by 'retiring', finding an overseas partner won't be so bad, because he won't have competed for Canada for 2+ years.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Maybe that's part of the plan?

I don’t know that it was a conscious plan on Bryce’s part, although it would be a happy side effect.

The schedule for him coming back to competition with Jessica was probably pretty different than coming back with a new partner. He and Jessica already had their programs done and could have been training together within his abilities. They might have not made it back for the GP series, but possibly could have been ready for Canadians/4CC’s/Worlds, even if it wasn’t really the best thing for his knee. Jessica was so upset when he got hurt I can see him pushing it for her. To come back with new partner he would have had to wait until he was fully healed to do try outs, pick a partner, get and train new programs……..probably not doable for the upcoming season. Maybe too, he’s giving himself some time too to decide if it’s worth it to attach his future to someone else again. He’s had a rough couple of years as far as that goes.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Caitlyn just moved to Michigan, which is only a "short" four-hour drive.

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Caitlyn just moved to Michigan, which is only a "short" four-hour drive.
Caitlin is training at Scott Moir’s rink now, isn't she? Oh my, now wouldn’t that be interesting……. ;) Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like Bryce is ready for any try outs at the moment: Learning from an Olympian

With his knee still about seven months away from being fully healed, Davison said there are some temporary limits as to what he can demonstrate on the ice.

“I’m not supposed to jump at all,” he said.

But if she still hasn’t found a partner by the new year, who knows? He’s said that he would only be interested in continuing if he could find someone special to skate with. I think Caitlin qualifies as special. :) Or maybe he’ll just train a suitable partner :laugh::

http://twitter.com/#!/mariaalbanese10/statuses/96683294229397505

Lift class with Bryce Davison :D

4 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But if she still hasn’t found a partner by the new year, who knows? He’s said that he would only be interested in continuing if he could find someone special to skate with. I think Caitlin qualifies as special. :) Or maybe he’ll just train a suitable partner :laugh:

:) :biggrin:

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
A bit more info on Bryce’s partner search: Davison not quite ready to retire

Davison said he has taken steps to look for a new partner, but hasn’t really pushed his body to do all the jumps and spins he could do before because he is just halfway through the recovery phase. If he were still skating with Dubé, he might have tried to accelerate the healing process.
“I talked to a few people in the skating world that had ideas for partners and a couple of them could have been pretty good, but things just never came together. The opportunities weren’t really there for me at the point where I was in my healing.”
Davison said he is planning on continuing to work on his coaching certification, moving up to levels II and III as time goes on.
But that may have to wait for another shot at as part of a pairs team. But then again, maybe not.
“If something comes along in the winter and spring next year. We’ll see.”
I’m a bit baffled as to why Skate Canada seems so intent on declaring him retired. :confused2: You’d think they’d do everything they could to get one of their elite skaters back into competition.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably because they know how serious his injury really is and don't expect him to come back.