** Happy Birthday, Dorothy Hamill ** | Golden Skate

** Happy Birthday, Dorothy Hamill **

silverpond

On the Ice
"America's Sweetheart", Dorothy Hamill, reaches the "double nickel" age (55) this month.

I'm sure there are many of us who still remember 19-year-old Dorothy winning the Olympic gold medal at Innsbruck in 1976. She wore a lovely American beauty rose colored dress, had that snappy "wedge" hairdo, and skated like a dream. Hamill was a strong athletic skater, yet possessed a strong sense of style and always skated with a smile. Hamill had won the silver medal at the previous two World Championships and was not the gold medal favorite at Innsbruck, yet she won convincingly - second in the school figures, first in the short program, and first in the long program. :thumbsup:

Dorothy starred in several terrific television specials, and she toured for years with the Ice Capades. I attended several performances of Ice Capades in which she was the star skater. She really lit up the ice, and always put on a great show. One year, just prior to the start of the show, the announcement was made that (sic) "We regret to inform you that, due to illness, Dorothy Hamill will not be performing in today's show." A huge, collective groan gushed throughout the arena. The rest of the cast put on a great show, but it just wasn't the same without Dorothy.

For all of her fame and fortune, Dorothy's life wasn't without its challenges. Please do not see this as "gossip", because I'm not writing in that spirit. Dorothy was married and divorced twice, and last year remarried for the third time. She was also treated for breast cancer and clinical depression. She attended the Vancouver Olympics as an advisor to US skater Rachel Flatt, and seeing her interview gave me the feeling that this lady has really been through a lot in her lifetime. To her great credit, Hamill keeps on going. You go, girl!

I wish Dorothy happiness, joy, and great health for the rest of her life. Thanks for the memories.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy Birthday, Dorothy! :love:

I had (and loved) my Dorothy Hamill wedge cut for years.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I liked Dorothy in her amateur days, but loved her as a professional. She really developed a great presence on the ice, wonderful posture, and remarkable edges. I just love watching the runout she gets on an edge from a single push.

I think it was a Goodwill Game competition with pro and amateur skating where Dorothy was able to do a double Lutz jump...and off the correct edge! This was many years after her Olympic Gold.

Dorothy has had a rocky life, but I wish her health and happiness. Happy Birthday Dorothy!

Maureen

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Happy Birthday, Dorothy. I can't believe she turned 55. She looks fabulous!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Happy Birthday! Dorothy was my big favourite and I hoped that she will win at the Olympics. She had a great hair-do, which was copied even in Finland, LOL.