NBC TV Broadcast Schedule for 2011-12 Season (U.S.) | Golden Skate

NBC TV Broadcast Schedule for 2011-12 Season (U.S.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46360&type=media

[GP]

Saturday, Oct. 22 2011 Hilton HHonors Skate America (LIVE) 3-6 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 5 Skate Canada International 4-6 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 13 NHK Trophy (Japan) 2-4 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 27 Trophee Eric Bompard (France) 2-4 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 3 Rostelecom Cup (Russia) 1-3 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 11 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Quebec) 12-2 p.m.

[Natls]

Saturday, Jan. 28 Free Dance (LIVE) 4-6 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 28 Ladies Free Skate (LIVE) 9-11 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 29 Men's and Pairs Free Skate (LIVE) 3-6 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 4 Skating Spectacular 2-4 p.m.

ETA:

- SA is now THREE hours, up from 2 last year, and coverage airs SATURDAY instead of Sunday

- Nationals will now split Men/Pairs on Sunday and Ice Dance will get its own broadcast window on Saturday

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not surprising since no one showed 4C last year either. As for Worlds i hope at least Universal sports streams them again.

jcoates

Medalist
Well honestly, this is better than I expected. Since ESPN lost their rights, coverage of the grand prix has been sliced and diced to point that it's almost like participating in a scavenger hunt to find out when an event is on TV. I was just hoping to maintain the recent schedule of Skate America and Nationals on NBC and everything else eventually being shown on UniSports (except Euros and 4CC). Having the entire grand prix (save Cup of China) and Nats on NBC will save a lot of fans the trouble and expense of looking all over cable for competitions.

I have to wonder if this is a trial run to see if there is any audience growth potential. If that is the case and the test succeeds, maybe TPTB will consider returning Worlds to broadcast TV. With the decable that was NBC's negotiations over Wimbledon behind them, you have to think that network brass don't want to lose any more events if they can help it, no matter how small the audience.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is the 3rd year that NBC will feature coverage of the GP. This is also the third year that NBC will cover the GP minus the China event.

jatale

On the Ice
With the 4CC being held in America, I would expect the competition to be covered on American TV. Of course, NBC sucks in general at covering Olympic sporting events IMO, so I guess it is not that surprising that NBC might just "forget" about the 4CC. More importantly, expect NBC to try and take down every single Youtube video of anything they do broadcast. For NBC, everything is about money.

Wheee, RD, Thanks for the info.

I think the GP events will be taped and shown later showing selected skaters only.

The Nats showing will be the same as last years.

4CC, Euros, and Worlds, will hopefully be shown at least in part, on Unisport.

janetfan

Match Penalty
As RD stated the broadcast schedule is about the same as it has been for the previous two seasons.

Taped highlights of Intl GP events will be shown, SA will get one more hour than the Intl GP's, China will be passed over and Natls format seems about the same.

I think 4CC might get picked up this year since it is in USA but Worlds wll most likely be limited highlights shown the following weekend. :disapp:

Much better than nothing and maybe if the ratings are better we will see more in the future.

For now those who like to watch Live events in USA will have to rely on the internet.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm happy they'll be showing the events on television, but I'm good with my Icenetwork subscription. The first year I had it, it was pretty crap (I kept getting blackout notices, the feed would always freeze up, etc.), but I have to say, last year they had very few problems. It was nice to see all of the events in their entirety, which is what I hate about the television broadcasts. Because there are time restrictions, they pick and choose who gets aired...that's so annoying...

Hopefully someone will pick up 4CC and worlds...and hopefully Icenetwork will extend their coverage to the JGP events too...

silverpond

On the Ice
What irks me is the way figure skating competitions are treated as second-banana competitions, as far as cable television is concerned. The broadcast placement of the telecast almost guarantees that it will be pre-empted by "more important" sports like football and basketball. No offense to the NFL/AFL and NBA, but football and basketball games are telecast ALL the time, and there are relatively few skating competitions.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
What irks me is the way figure skating competitions are treated as second-banana competitions, as far as cable television is concerned. The broadcast placement of the telecast almost guarantees that it will be pre-empted by "more important" sports like football and basketball. No offense to the NFL/AFL and NBA, but football and basketball games are telecast ALL the time, and there are relatively few skating competitions.

I understand your frustration and also appreciate you are about the only poster at GS who recognizes this and admits it.

That wasn't always the case but since the CoP has taken over skating in USA it is a very tough sell.

It's like nobody cares anymore.

I think the last straw was when Scott and Sandra made in clear with their opinions that Mirai blew Rachael and Ashley off the ice at 2010 Natls.

Most who were watching were STUNNED by the ridiculously inflated scores Flatt received for such average skating.

Irina used to land jumps too and skated a heck of a lot faster than Flatt - but Kwan usually beat her when it counted with more artistic skating.

Scott admitted he was shocked by the Cop scoring and so were most of what was left of USA skating fans.

Last edited:
Hernando -

A good commentator has respect of the athletes, and his Listeners. It's all part of Communications Media 101.

Using former skaters who carry a lot of personal baggage to cover a skating competition is just so wrong and unnecessary.

The two British guys do it best at Euros.

In the old days, when I used to buy TV Guide and it had local afternoon listings, skating programs often used to be accompanied by the statement "Time approximate after basketball" (or football). I spent many an hour doing household tasks while a basketball game went into triple overtime, to be followed by fifteen minutes of skating. I always thought skating would have arrived when a TV Guiide notice would say "Time approximate after skating." But TV Guide no longer publishes afternoon listings, and skating is now relegated to the noon to 1 P.M. zone. Time approximate after hour-long commercial program for miracle skin care potion.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Hernando -

A good commentator has respect of the athletes, and his Listeners. It's all part of Communications Media 101.

Using former skaters who carry a lot of personal baggage to cover a skating competition is just so wrong and unnecessary.

The two British guys do it best at Euros.

I can agree with you.....but does US Natls need a team of Gannon and Hammond who between them might not be able to identify half the jumps correctly?

Personally I preferred Button and even if I sometimes disagreed with him I always knew where he stood. I knew why he liked certain skaters and why he did not care for certain skaters (or their performance on a given night.)

I admire expertise and don't care if I ever hear a single word about skating from Gannon or Hammonds since they don't know skating.

The English guys can be fun but listen to them call Kanako's LP from Worlds last season. According to them it felt like she won the LP.

They are human and play favorites and at times are full of baloney calling certain jumps "first rate" or "of the highest quality" when they were no such thing.

We all want different things from skating broadcasters. I will settle for the announcer's best honest appraisal and hope he/she has a strong skating background or was atleast a judge ;)

Last edited:
I can agree with you.....but does US Natls need a team of Gannon and Hammond who between them might not be able to identify half the jumps correctly?

Personally I preferred Button and even if I sometimes disagreed with him I always knew where he stood. I knew why he liked certain skaters and why he did not care for certain skaters (or their performance on a given night.)

I admire expertise and don't care if I ever hear a single word about skating from Gannon or Hammonds since they don't know skating.

The English guys can be fun but listen to them call Kanako's LP from Worlds last season. According to them it felt like she won the LP.

They are human and play favorites and at times are full of baloney calling certain jumps "first rate" or "of the highest quality" when they were no such thing.

We all want different things from skating broadcasters. I will settle for the announcer's best honest appraisal and hope he/she has a strong skating background or was atleast a judge ;)
I've only listen to the British guys from youtubes and what I heard was quite gentlemanly remarks vis-a-vis Brezina: " a good skate, Michal will be a top contender one day".

Whether I agree with the announcer's remarks or not, I prefer the style of quiet chat one gets in Golf and Tennis. Really cannot stand a screech that someone did a 3Toe when a quiet remark like - his/her 3Toe has improved a lot with that solid landing - would sound much better and more informative. Hamilton tries to ape that Latino announcer shouting GOOOOOOAL in a soccer game, but his was for earning a point while Hamilton was just screeching for a Trick.