Johnny Weir's Chinese Interviews | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's Chinese Interviews

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jonny Weir is currently performing in China in the cast of Shen/Zhao's Artistry On Ice. He is known as Lady Gaga On Ice and has many fans and much interest about him. Here he's featured on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOcap6mryA

and I will translate this print interview:

Johhy Weir: The ISU judging is not fair.

Artistry On Ice has arrived! On July 22, Artistry On Ice, with its theme of Artistry and Cities, will open in Shanghai. Skating couple Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, reigning World Champion Chen Weiqun(Patrick Chan), Russian Ice Tzar Yagudin, American "Lady Gaga On Ice" Johnny Weir and many other international skating stars will perform for the Shanghai audience, exhibiting imagination, beauty, and excitement. This is the first time seven Olympic and World champions will perform together in Shanghai so there is a great anticipation. Our reporter interviewed Johnny Weir:

Reporter: Now that you are not competing and only doing commercial performances, how do you like this lifestyle?

Weir: Even though I am not competing, I have been very busy. I perform, do TV shows and fashion shoots in the US.

Reporter: You had a perfectly beautiful performance in 2010 Olympics but were unfairly judged. Does this have a great effect on you?

Weir: I feel that the ISU's judging system has not been fair in judging competitors' artistry. The complete understanding of the essence of figure skating is no more a challenge to young competitors. If I continue to compete, I'll work hard to move the IJS closer to my idea.

Reporter: You made a pact with your idol Plushenko to compete in the 2014 Sochi Olympics together. You will be 30 then, will you abide by this pact?

Weir: I'm now older but becuase I only started skating at age 12, I will have only skated for 18 years by Sochi Olympics when I'll be 30. I am strong, I am good looking, so I will prepare for 2014 Winter Olympics. Plushenko will do anything for a gold medal. But I'm different. Gold medal is not important to me.

Reporter: You have described yourself as a sex kitten, and you have a very interesting cover for your autobiography Welcome To My World, striking a sexy pose in your stilettos. Is that your own idea?

Weir: I like cats. Cats are sexy and wild. The cover is my own creative idea. Many people find my pose very sexy, fashionable, and beautiful. Of course I want to show people my charismatic best. Also I hope my talents will make a great story and be loved.

Reporter: You use quite a few of Lady Gaga's music in competitions. What do you like about her?

Weir: Figure skating is a performing sport. We are both showy. So I love her and love to perform her music.

Reporter: Do you mind telling us your yearly income?

Weir: About US$500,000. Figure skating is not a sport you can make a lot of money from. Most of my incomes are from commercial performances, my autobiography and (TV) program participation.

Also LuCN's translated interview from Aristry On Ice thread:

Lady Gaga on Ice declaim against ISU:they make figure skating losing its beautyhttp://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2011-07-...95669208.shtml
……
Weir haven't compete for two years,he said,"In this two years,I write a book,attend fashion shows,take photoshot for magazines,very very busy.I know there are many rising stars these days,for example Patrick Chan,it's a good thing."but after said that,he twitst to another thread,"But,because ot ISU's new mark system,today's competition can't see the real figure skating.Now watching a match like look a ancient curio,all the skaters just know to add difficulty,get high marks,but ignore its beauty."

about whether he'll comeback,and when he'll be back,Weir said,"If ond day,figure skating mark in the way I like,I may consider (coming back).Although I'm a little old,but I'll be just 30 when 2014 Sochi Olympics.My single jump is pretty good,and I'm very beautiful,and I have a lot of competions experience,if I don't attend Sochi Olympics,it's a pity." but,even if he really come back,"I will not fight like a dog as Plushenko,(he) only want the Gold medal.For me,the 1st place or the 20th place is equal,the most important thing is enjoy the competition."Weir said.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks for the translation. I am surprised Johnny was asked about his yearly income and even more surprised that he
answered.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^Thanks for the translation. I am surprised Johnny was asked about his yearly income and even more surprised that he
answered.

:biggrin: I thought that was the one piece of new info worth translating the interview for. However, I doubt this is what he actually has to tell the IRS.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
LuCN, when you wrote in translating from http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2011-07-21/19295669208.shtml

"I will not fight like a dog as Plushenko,(he) only want the Gold medal.

I had thought that "fight like a dog" was your improvised translation of 拼命(which I translated as "will do anything"), until I came across this report from yesterday:

.........."I love attending fashion shows, going on TV and doing fashion shoots. But to do all these, I have no time left for skating. If I were to raise my skating results, I will have to live like a monk." A big smile splashed acoss Johnny's cheeks flushed with blusher, "Plushenko chases gold medals like a dog. I will not do that. I won't fight at all costs (拼命). I don't care about winning or losing. Coming first is nice, but I came in 20th before."

He also attacked ISU's current scoring system, which he considered destructive of figure skating. "Today's competitions are too ugly to see. Everybody tries for difficulties and high scores, ignoring its beauty." Because of this, Weir will not return to competition for now. "If one day figure skating develops in my direction, I will come back. I will be only 30 by Sochi Olympics, and it will be a shame for me to not participate in this Olympics. But I won't be obsessed with gold medals like Plushenko. I prefer to enjoy the competition."

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
I have refrained from talking about Johnny Weir as I used to enjoy his skating a few years ago. I have no idea if he was always this bratty but what he said is disappointing. In other words, the skating world should revolve around him to entice him back to competitive skating. I wonder how are Plushenko's fans feeling about his comment on Plushenko.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I truly don't believe that Johnny meant disrespect to Plushenko; they are friends. It is no secret that Plushenko did not appreciate his silver medal at Olys and that he is super-competitive. Also known more for his jumps than artistry. And many (including GS posters) have complained about COP and its cookie-cutter approach to scoring and why skating has lost so many fans. We can't ignore the fact that it is hardly ever televised. Johnny is lamenting the loss of artistry in skating and many of us feel the same way.

LuCN

Rinkside
SkateFiguring,your chinese is much better than my English LOL I wonder how can you do that,seems you are not in china~

well,about the words "fight like a dog",I use it not only because other version of the interview is written like that,but also because Johnny's interviews before,for example:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ck-20110526_1_johnny-weir-top-skater-olympics
"Evgeny is a very different person than me,'' Weir said. "He will fight like a dog for medals, which is also something I admired in Evan.

"I was more about performance than points. I'm more artist-athlete than athlete-artist. I would want to come back and make people cheer and cry. I missed my chance at a medal in 2006; that was my time to shine. Maybe if I came back without that pressure, I could just enjoy the journey.''

I think he may say the same thing like that,so I use this word.(PS:actually I don't find it on dictionary,is it really a phrase?)

LuCN

Rinkside
I have refrained from talking about Johnny Weir as I used to enjoy his skating a few years ago. I have no idea if he was always this bratty but what he said is disappointing. In other words, the skating world should revolve around him to entice him back to competitive skating. I wonder how are Plushenko's fans feeling about his comment on Plushenko.

well,actually I don't agree to the whole thing he said.But I always agree about his criticism about Plushenko.As he said before,Plushenko and Lysacek are the same kind of people,they concern about medals too much,they always concern about landing jumps successfully,about getting points,but always neglect the artisty and beauty...

I really hope when Lysacek and Plushenko come back this season,they can enjoy the competition and bring some beauty,not just points and medals...

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ excuse me but usually athletes in a sport, especially elite ones want to compete and dream to win, do you think Michael Phelps go to the swimming pool to be splatting around?
And which figure skater doesnt want to land all his jumps and try to medal? I dont think Lysacek or Plush have neglected or have spent less time than the rest to built their program around, the result is another theme to discuss, artisrty and beauty are completely subjective (flash news, i know..:biggrin:).

As a Plushy fans I found Weirs comments just fine, I thought he spoke the reality and it was not an intention of bad critisism..

What a cool language, in my computer 拼命 this looks like a house with trees around :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
拼命is a common expression which means to do somehting extremely and relentlessly hard even at the expense of one's life. Such literal translation would exagerate more than what it is usually meant.

When I translate, I try to make it more natural in the language it is translated into and in this case back into the original language which I have to guess at. (Actually this is a common process in formal translation, back and forth by two translators for accuracy and fluency.)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Johnny does have extraordinary talent in skating and in language. Near a decade ago, he was showing his talent on ice, and leave to people gushing it. Now it's the other way around. It seems that he is using every opportunity to sell his story about his talent and the "unfair judging" which "otherwise would have changed his life". Really, what he's showing on ice now is just ordinary moves and outrageous costumes. He's "hot" in China is because people there still rarely see such a display. If that's called "artistry", thank you very much. I'd rather see "pure sports" in figure skating instead.

I'm ok with his comment about Plushenko. Plushenko is working hard to get back on competitive ice till Sochi, while Weir is continuing selling his stories of his talent and unfair judging into media.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
拼命is a common expression which means to do somehting extremely and relentlessly hard even at the expense of one's life. Such literal translation would exagerate more than what it is usually meant.

When I translate, I try to make it more natural in the language it is translated into and in this case back into the original language which I have to guess at. (Actually this is a common process in formal translation, back and forth by two translators for accuracy and fluency.)

If I may - 拼命 literally means 'Putting their life on the line'. But 'fight like a dog' is not really flattering way to depict the expression when what Johnny 'probably' mean is just that Plushenko works so incredibly hard, and he can't imagine himself going through the whole 9 yards that Plushy does for a gold medal.

He acknowledge the system does't really care about the beauty, aesthetics and expression anymore in figure skating, a bit like how they appraise antiques, it is all about the difficulty/rarity and the value but not about the beauty (smart comparison I thought - this has not yet included in the translation). The Sina article is rather matter of fact to what Johnny says and does not have a slant.

Translation is a hard job, especially when the translator have no access to the source. For example, I would never imagine Johnny use something as brutish as 'fight like a dog', but may be more American and cute like 'work their butt off', and in a way, both of them can be described as 拼命 :) But if you translate the literal meaning of 'work their butt off' in Chinese, all the Chinese reader would natural collapse on the floor 'laughing their butt off', or in Chinese way - we say 'laughs to the death' which 'read' rather serious in English, but it is rather informal and funny way of everyday expression.

Johnny have always struck me as a guy who's cares great deal about appearances, and tries to be refined even sophisticated in his extravagant Johnny colourful way. 'Fight like a dog' does sounds a bit brusque for him, although he has always been cheeky in his interviews, but he at least tried to be respectful except to those who blatantly disrespect, disregard his believes. And actually I really applaud him for his outspokeness even though I might not agree with some of his views.

Whatever criticism he has had received imho, has more to do with the people's own conservative and puritan attitude rather than Johnny's problem. And frankly despite his 'lady gaga' tag, I find some of his core values remarkably old fashioned just like Lady gaga.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
...despite his 'lady gaga' tag, I find some of his core values remarkably old fashioned just like Lady gaga despite whatever whatever frills and trimmings they packaged themselves with.

Examples, please! I can't think of any on top of my head.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Examples, please! I can't think of any on top of my head.

Be true to yourself
Be free to express yourself
Multiculturalism
Embrace diversity
Don't be afraid to be different and unique

These are the core values of artists since the renaissance times and even before then, and yes they have always been frowned up by society which they continuously battle with. They are the avant-gardes.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Be true to yourself
Be free to express yourself
Multiculturalism
Embrace diversity
Don't be afraid to be different and unique

These concepts are so vague. It can be used in any history period. If you say they're modern, 21 century, or pop cultural concepts, no one would argue with you either.:p

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
These concepts are so vague. It can be used in any history period. If you say they're modern, 21 century, or pop cultural concepts, no one would argue with you either.:p

Yup... that is why they re old fashioned in art history terms even :) It is not to say they produce great art, but those who shares these values usually create art that has a more lasting impression, good or bad, can't say! But those who leaves no impression are the worst and has no artistic values what so ever!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
To me Weir says what suits his situation at the time, very self justifying, self promoting, and always faulting others. He is against the judging only after he stopped winning. CoP exposes weaknesses. Only the best and the most rounded skaters shine. Don't Lambiel and Takahashi skate beautifully and expressively even with the constraints of the competition rules and the judging system? Weir often watered down his competition choreographies because he could not do both footwork and jumps in the same program.

Weir reminds me of a woman I used to know who was a housewife and who constantly berated her daughter-in-law and picked on her housekeeping whereas the young lady was very intelligent and successful in her career. (And very respectful and considerate toward the MIL, seemingly obivious of her constant criticism and complaints to others. She came from a different culture.)

Weir should orgainize his own shows and hire ordinary skaters to do Vegas style extravaganzas with outrageous makeup, costumes and staging. Instead of real skating skills required in competitions, or old fashioned Disney or Ice Capades productions, his talents may be used to break into a new market.

janetfan

Match Penalty
To me Weir says what suits his situation at the time, very self justifying, self promoting, and always faulting others.

Are you talking about Weir or Chan?

Or maybe Joubert or even Plushenko?

I think alot of male skaters lack what in my culture is considered good sportsmanship.

I recall Patrick trying to trash talk Plushy before Vancouver and then we saw Plushy wipe the ice with Chan like he was little more than a cheap rag one might us to wash their car. :p

I always use a Dallas Cowboys football jersey to wash my car as I can't stand that team :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Johnny belong to a sport that has aspect of artistry, beauty pageantry and showbiz, as such he is who he is or has become.

Figure skating is beauty on ice, and as such - artistry should be valued and technical bravado should be complementary to enhance beauty rather than dominate and overwhelms it, which it has now become. If it is purely about athleticism, let's just remove music, costumes, make up, thematic choreograph program out of of the picture, and forget about musicality, interpretation breakthroughs. The world will be full of Miki Andos, Rachel Flatts in black startrek outfits jumping mediocrely consistently, and there won't be any skating shows. Instead they can perform at the circus; or at ice rink openings; or during the interim act for speed skating sport fairs which seems to be way ISU want it to be.

When judging has blatantly ignore the valuable aspect of artistic skating, he absolutely has the right to speak up. If he doesn't, he is a coward and a victim. Takahashi and Lambiel happens to be 2 of my favorite male skaters but they rarely get proper rewarded for their performance unless someone with a more technical program (that has no soul) fails their attempts.

Interesting idea about the vegas show, and if he could i bet he would, but whether his name is big enough to front a Vagas type of show for the typical US figures skating crowd is a huge question. Overall, having seen some US TV skating shows audience, I feel it is still a rather conservative older audience. To inject dynamism to the sport for a wider demographic audience, something need to be done to boost the 'figure skating industry in the US'. I don't think Johnny is the solution, but he could be part of a solution.