Paul Poirier to skate with... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Paul Poirier to skate with...

KKonas

Medalist
Is there a specific rule in the USFS rulebook about this or could you please provide a link to your source of info? Thanks in advance.

Sorry, no link, but source of info is high-ranking US official/International Ref/Judge. Doug Williams of Intl Committee to make decision this week on open international slots for US skaters.

lcd

Match Penalty
Seems so arbitrary to have different rules for different reasons, results, circumstances. Isn't citizenship just that? So you have to be "not worth keeping" to be let go. Hmmm.

KKonas

Medalist
Seems so arbitrary to have different rules for different reasons, results, circumstances. Isn't citizenship just that? So you have to be "not worth keeping" to be let go. Hmmm.

Why on earth would you want to let an Olympic team member or US champion go to another country to skate with no or little restrictions?

herios

Medalist
Why on earth would you want to let an Olympic team member or US champion go to another country to skate with no or little restrictions?

Because an ice dancer with no partner cannot represent your country anyway? Do you think a young athelete will wait on the bench for the next good team to eventually break-up so he/she gets lucky?

TWhat are the chances Emily Samuelson finds a partner of her calibre available in US?

sk8m8

Final Flight
Saying what you mean, meaning what you say

Seems to me that "testing the waters" could be an appropriate description if there were more context... "we tested the waters, but with no expectations, just stroking around the rink to see how we matched up."

The problem is there is no context, just 'tested the waters' which can mean anything...

As for the rest of the article, it sounded to me as if the author was attempting to make themselves sound more "inside" than perhaps they are. Most of the little tidbits about ex partners, future partners, potential partners, could almost have had "or so I've been told" added to them.

That is the difference between average articles and excellent ones...by the way the author doesn't get in the way of the story. I was far more informed about the disposition of the author than of Poirier's future in skating. I wish him well in any case, he's a great skater and so enjoyable to watch.

Because the U.S.A. is not a concentration camp where we build walls to keep the people in. If someone wants to go skate for Timbuktu, goodby, good luck, and may the Good Lord take a likin' to ya. :yes:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Heh.

If I'm Skate America, I can't think of a single reason why I'd make it easy for a skater to leave.

sk8m8, Samuelson, when announcing her partnership with Gilles, explicitly stated that she and Poirier had a try out. I suspect "tested the waters" was code for "figuring out how easily Samuelson could change countries to skate for Canada."

If I'm Skate America, I can't think of a single reason why I'd make it easy for a skater to leave.

It's the right thing to do.

I can't think of any compelling reason why Skate America would wish to keep a skater who wants to leave, or to put roadblocks in front of anyone who wants to get on with their life and career somewhere else.

"If I can't have you, by G-d I'll see you in your grave before I let anyone else have you!" :cool:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Maybe, but if I'm Skate America, I'd encourage them to find a partner in America or one that is willing to compete for the USA. Letting a talented skater go to another country to compete against yours doesn't seem the jive with their mission statement.

Of course, as you're prone to reminding us, you're on the side of the skaters. And I can't disagree with you, because obviously the fair and right thing to do is let the figure skater follow his/her dream.

KKonas

Medalist
It's the right thing to do.

Very noble, but if you spent $$$$ and time and effort in promoting a skater/team, you might change your mind.

I can't think of any compelling reason why Skate America would wish to keep a skater who wants to leave, or to put roadblocks in front of anyone who wants to get on with their life and career somewhere else.

"If I can't have you, by G-d I'll see you in your grave before I let anyone else have you!" :cool:

Well, it's not that draconian - get a grip. Besides Poirier would not be a good choice for Samuelson anyway, and she eventually chose Gilles.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Pogue.. I'm glad Emily clarified that ... The part left unsaid might also have centered on how easily could Paul be released to skate for the US ( or who would they train with and where.. ). In fact, it was partly the myriad of sticking points that would have surrounded such a potential partnership ( outside of whether or not they'd be a good match ) that had me looking askance at that statement.

sk8m8..The other contributing factor, of course , was the completely unnecessary disparaging reference to Vanessa. Yes, Piper's former partners were mentioned , but no unattributed opinions of their skating abilities were offered..so , in spite of Emily's confirmation, I still agree with you ; the article says at least as much about the writer as his subjects.

Anyway , that's that and it will be interesting to see how all the new pairings shape up. I wish Paul and Piper a productive fall.

Last edited:
Well, it's not that draconian - get a grip.

To me, it's a matter of principle. The national federation exists to serve the skaters. The skaters do not exist to serve the federation.

When the "government" forgets that it is the servant of the people, and starts regarding the people as fodder for the goals of the government, that's where the trouble begins.